Official GT5 discussion thread

Just womndering. If you have a level 24 car and you send it to a player who is below that level, is he going to receive it and be able to use it?

Also does the other guy have to be online while you send it, or is he going to receive it once he gets online?

I think the restriction is only on buying. This is why you could also get / use these bonus 'stealth' cars at launch. The receiving party does not have to be online. But be aware that you can only receive one car per day.

Just womndering. If you have a level 24 car and you send it to a player who is below that level, is he going to receive it and be able to use it?

Also does the other guy have to be online while you send it, or is he going to receive it once he gets online?

I sent my friend a NASCAR when he was starting as I had to buy two for the challenges (I changed the oil on one as it was far below the limit on BHP, but was over afterwards)

You have to be online to get the cars, my brother has the game but for some reason it's not going on line and he doesn't show up in my GT "friends" list.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/news/d11297.html

New tweet from Kaz directing to this link. anyone care to translate? Could be a compo to win a car?

Here's what Chromes translator has to say on the matter
January 14 (Friday) will be held at Makuhari Messe from Tiba "Tokyo Auto Salon" exhibit to honor, Purezentoka in Gran Turismo 5 (Mazda 787B Suterusumoderu) Itashi events with limited time online Masu.

Gran Turismo 5 you can get free if you have, [GT Mode] -> [GT Life] in the upper left corner in the Event Delivery can participate in the event.

After the event, you will receive entry to the PlayStation ® Network sign in ID product code is set to e-mail address. The code you enter in the PlayStation ® Store, you can download the Purezentoka.

We welcome your participation in the lot.

Name:
Gran Turismo 5 special event at Tokyo Auto Salon 2011

Period:
January 14, 2011 (Friday) 0:00 - 14 February 2011 (Mon) 23:59 schedule

Event Type:
Drift Trial

Vehicle:
BLITZ DUNLOP ER34 Skyline

Course:
Madrid City

Tires:
The following sports software

Award entries:
"Mazda 787B Suterusumoderu" Product Code

Note:
After the event (scheduled for February 21, 2011 or later), you will receive entry to the PlayStation ® Network sign in ID product code is set to e-mail address. PlayStation ® Network Please check in advance whether you can receive your email you registered Itadai. If we receive mail that might be disqualified from obtaining the code.

The new events are easy again, or at least easy to get easy :)

I took the 1.500.000 race, bought the used Lamborghini and used it for the SUPER GT race event, thanks to the soft racing tires it weren´t to hard.

With a LVL 24 in my bag i ventured into the Extreme Events, this time with a "stock" Ferrari Italia 458 on Soft Racing tires. I took a stab at the Nurnburg race (3 laps on the new/old track). It would seem that there is a chance that the 458 can hold it´s own against this tough field, but not with me behind the wheel. I was to much on edge to make it home, but excellent racing.

With this experience i turned my lambo to the Le Mans track, and what a race.. you guys should try this.

I took the soft tires, you might wonna adjust that based on skill :)
The competitors are fast cars, among them a GT, i fairly quickly got in front, but on the straight i had the GT at my back, and it passed me thanks to slipstreaming, after the chicane it was my turn. And i slipped streamed him and got first into the next chicane, on the straight i tried to avoid him getting in my stream and it succeed. As you can guess it was another close race and i recommend trying this combo..
Tonight i might even win :)

You have to be online to get the cars, my brother has the game but for some reason it's not going on line and he doesn't show up in my GT "friends" list.

You mean both the sender and the receiver have to be online simultaneously?

Got to level 30 thanks to the new events. Attempted the Vettel challenge, and man is it hard. Took me like 45min just to get bronze on Nurburgring GP. I watched a youtube video of someone getting gold, and I think I see a few turns where I can improve. The x2010 is so fast, you need quick reaction time because it feels like you're driving in fast forward. :LOL:

Good stuff DJ. Im 300k XP short of level 30 but i've already done the new seasonals. V.busy with work projects now so might take a while to aquire the said 300k.

I think i can gift all my chromeline cars, i created a new save to get a trophy and sure enough this new save got a new set of cars. If anyone has any of the special versions and wants to give it a try and swap a set of cars let me know. My psn id is the same as my username.

Obviously i would prefer to try it with someone that has been here a while in case it doesn't work and i want my cars back

Edit: Nevermind, you cannot gift them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt this my friend. I have seen Forza 2 and 3 and both 60fps games have very poor transparency performance and very poor "dust/smoke." Shadows are not dynamic.

Remember GT5 is rendering at 50% higher resolution and has 2x cars in view.

Even without increasing resolution, adding smoke, rain effects, and dynamic shadows is a very serious challenge and may be impossible.

The 360 is not suited to the kind of effects that Japanese developers learned with PS2. This is because the EDRAM in the 360 is one-way only.
What you neglected to mention in that comparison though, is GT5's abysmally low-detailed environments, horribly tiled (and low-res) textures, terrible particle and smoke effects, some of the worst shadows seen in a game, dreadful LOD switching and in reality, an unknown quantity when it comes to on-track car detail. We know they look great in photomode... but how do we know that the level of detail we see there, is present in every vehicle in view? It wouldn't be hard to say photomode = top level detail model, in race = second level detail and below. It's also worth mentioning, that not every race in GT5 has 16 cars on track, quite often, there are only 12.

What GT5 has done is probably not that hard to recreate by a competent developer, unfortunately, when it comes to car models, lighting and a high quality 3D engine... Turn10 don't hit the mark. You don't need a gazillion polys to get realistic looking cars, you just need good 3D modellers. I think people over-estimate just what GT5 has on screen, which means they over-estimate the amount of power required to process it.

I mean, have you noticed you can't flick back and forth between cars in replay mode? You have to wonder why that is... or at least, it makes me curious. I'm not saying GT5 isn't impressive, I'm just saying people are gushing over too much of an unknown quantity. I don't think Turn10 will ever produce a GT5 beater visually, but I think someone will equal it, or even better it, within 12 months or so.

I mean, have you noticed you can't flick back and forth between cars in replay mode? You have to wonder why that is... or at least, it makes me curious. I'm not saying GT5 isn't impressive, I'm just saying people are gushing over too much of an unknown quantity. I don't think Turn10 will ever produce a GT5 beater visually, but I think someone will equal it, or even better it, within 12 months or so.
What do you mean by this? I don't remember exactly, but can't you view other vehicles in replay mode? If that's not what you meant, then disregard this.

As for matching GT5's visuals, IMHO, it's hard to believe someone will match GT5's vehicle detail and 'photorealism' of their premium cars this generation, but I guess we'll wait and see.

What do you mean by this? I don't remember exactly, but can't you view other vehicles in replay mode? If that's not what you meant, then disregard this.

As for matching GT5's visuals, IMHO, it's hard to believe someone will match GT5's vehicle detail and 'photorealism' of their premium cars this generation, but I guess we'll wait and see.

Don't have GT5 but you can do it in GT5P.

You can change whatever car you're watching. It's on the stats screen during the replay (the one with all the live timings).

You can change whatever car you're watching. It's on the stats screen during the replay (the one with all the live timings).

You can also do it from a list somewhere else. The difference is that previously you could press up or down to switch cars during the replay - now you have to select the car from a list. It's a bit slower for going to the next car, but it is easier for selecting a specific car - I presume it was partly done because we went from 6 cars in GT4 to 16 cars in GT5, making scrolling through all cars to get to the one you want more cumbersome and ugly for creating nice replays. The question is whether they removed the up/down type control for technical reasons somehow, or if they did it because for B-Spec mode you need the controls for selecting commands and such.

As for the rest, what ihamoitc2005 said. Sure, the game has a few lows, but the highs are very, very high.

I think it's time for me to put GT5 away and go back to forza 3.
Forza3 may not be as good looking but at least it's consistant, no tearing, no framerate drops and all cars have cockpit view.
PD dropped the ball on this and they sony need to seriously think about bringing in some new additions to bolster the team involved in this game.
- All car models from your garage need to be available in Arcade. This "Favourite" nonsense is absolutely ridiculous and beyond stupid. It is time consuming, boring and limiting it to a hundred? It was annoying in GT4, and it is annoying in GT5. Please bring back the way it worked in GT2, by being able to load your Garage into Arcade.

- In addition, when in Arcade, put the cars behind a manufacturer selection like in GT4. It would help you find the car you want, but also the game can be loading the cars in the background while you're selecting what manufacturer you are going to chose.

- Building on the above, the ability to select a car from the Pre-Race Screen when in Arcade. When you have a number of cars you just want to each try out on a certain track, it is time consuming having to exit out of the menu and go back to the car select screen. An option to select your car at the Pre-Race Screen would make it much quicker to go through your car selection with the minimum amount of fuss.

- GT Auto and Parts Shop that can also be accessed from Garage/Pre-race screen. This is an absolute must. Having to keep going back and forth between these two is incredibly annoying.

- Ability to arrange cars in your garage by sale price. Why did this feature vanish? It was handy when you wanted to make some quick money. Going through all your cars to see what the resale value is…not fun. And what's up with cars you win not having any resale value?

- Notification of whether you already own a certain car when browsing in the dealership.

- Ability to save progress during Championship races. Again, why did this option vanish? Polyphony, you cannot expect people to make the time for the Formula GT Championship in one sitting. Please bring that save during championship option back.

- Fully customised gear ratios. It cannot really be called a "Fully Customisable Transmission", only for it to be anything but. Another baffling feature that has been removed. (Kaz has since indicated they're going to fix this…but no time frame)

- Ability to set and lock time/weather settings for tracks with time/weather changes. Sure, it is an option for online, but this needs to be offline in both Arcade and GT Mode. I do not want to wait until the game decides when the Ring will be raining and at night. We need the option to set weather and time from the start, and lock those settings should we so wish.

- New Photo Travel Locations. Photo Travel has been an absolute revelation to me. As someone who never once touched Photo Travel in GT4, I am completely addicted to GT5's. I think it is incredible, and the results can be astounding. We need some new locations though…how about somewhere in the UK, Polyphony? :)

- Ability to take photos of the interior of cars. Polyphony, you spent all that time modelling the interiors to unbelievable detail, but we can't take a photo of the interior? If you've got it, flaunt it. Some of the workaround ones look great; optimised ones could (would?) look even better.

- Remove the Level restrictions for cars. For casual players it is limiting and feels like a cynical attempt to extend the life of the game. If you have the cash, you should be allowed to buy whatever car you chose, especially if you just want to "take it to the track" in Arcade mode.

- New A-Spec and Special Events events seem like a no brainer. And also, Manufacturer Events. Why did these also vanish? Give me a reason to own the cars Polyphony! Because at the moment, there seems like very little reason at all to own the majority of the premium cars.

- Course Maker is a good start, now it is time for some evolution. Ability to set Reverse, Elevation and Mirror settings are a few basics, but also, why not have those aforementioned new A-Spec or Manufacturer events played on randomly generated tracks? Why re-use the same courses in the game? Integrate CM more into A-Spec, not just for rally events.

- Have Arcade, Course Maker, and Gran Turismo TV as tabs in GT Mode. Having to go back and forth between Arcade/GTTV/CM/GT Mode got old a long time ago.

- Other little niggles could do with addressing. "You cannot sell a car currently being driven". Why? Seriously, why can't I sell a car I'm currently driving? Or "You must get into a car before entering licence centre". Why? You never drive the car you are in, so why do you need a car to enter? There are lots of these little things. They really need sorting out.

- Now the radical bit…get completely rid of Used Car Dealership. Put all Standard Cars in their respective manufacturer dealerships under something like "Gran Turismo Classics" with the ability to buy them at any time. They may be ugly sisters, but between all eight hundred of them, there is so much history and heritage that the standards bring to the game, surely they could have be treated better? Also giving some of the standards a little TLC wouldn't go amiss.

- Performance and technical improvements. I know this isn't as easy to implement as some of the others are, but really, the tearing in this game needs to be reduced. It's offensive, and when you need your wipers on, seeing a load of torn frames - coupled with the hideous pixelated disaster that is the spray and blocky wipers - it's off-putting, and makes you begin to question PD's status as a technologically advanced studio.

Sorry for the long post but it would appear that PD has left the door open for turn 10 to take the crown.

Back