Official GT5 discussion thread

Can you tell me what the first five or so awarded cars are if you have gotten that far? That always frustrated me in the older GT games where they endlessly awarded really crappy cars.
Don't forget the endless list of Nissan Skylines!

I know you can't do anything about it because of a tv and/or receiver limitation, but for others try switching to 720p mode if you have framerate/tearing issues. The amount of bandwidth that frees up for transparency passes, shadow passes, z cull passes, post process, etc, is substantial and should eliminate some of the performance and visual issues.

I hope digital foundry do a performance analysis with 720p and 1080p modes. If 720 ends up being a lot smoother, I can run HDMI out to the TV and an optical to the receiver for GT5.

Karting is very cool. Much better than I expected and should be fantastic for multiplayer.

You can play this GT very differently from the old ones, which greatly impacts your garage. As I mentioned I played Licences a and b, then a bunch of special events, beginner and then some intermediate. When I went back to A-spec, I could go straight to professional races, buy a Lambo Gallardo and a Ferrari 458 and do the Lambo race on Rome. I have done two beginner races, one amateur race, and two pro races. I am just one level away from opening up Expert.

If you have me on your friendslist (feel free to add me <-- ) you can actually check my progress log to see how I did when and what.

Did anyone look at the museum? It's basically a card collection game and each day you go online you get 5 new cards. It's not that special, until you look at how many slots there are for each manufacturor featured ... crazy! And of course you can trade and gift them with others.

This was some 6-7 hours of play for me.

Online for friends is really easy btw - you all have your own lounge that is automatically open to your friends (though you can still also use a pwd).

hope PD recognizes they won't be slammed not playing the numbers game with GT6 as long as they can provide a consistant experience throughout.

I am in the other boat, i would much rather have 1000 cars with 200 being super duper and X number tracks than just those that "look" great.

Polyphony Digital head Kazunori Yamauchi has told Eurogamer that he "doesn't know" if the next Gran Turismo game will release for PlayStation 3 or the next generation of console hardware.

"10 years ago it was easier to predict what would happen three years in the future," he said in an exclusive interview at the official GT5 launch event in Madrid. "Nowadays no-one knows what happens in the future. In three years, we don't know what will happen."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-24-kaz-not-sure-if-gt6-will-be-on-ps3

Can you tell me what the first five or so awarded cars are if you have gotten that far? That always frustrated me in the older GT games where they endlessly awarded really crappy cars. Starting with a Civic Type R as the 1st awarded car is promising, but I'm curious what follows after that.

The Civic type R I bought with the 20000 credits you get at the start of the game. After that I've won:

A kart.
Another Civic.
Hommel Berlinette R/S coupe.
Toyota Vitz.

From the first licence at bronze and silver:

Mazda demio.
Daihatsu OFC-1 Concept.

None of those are faster then the Honda Civic type R though. But the great thing is I still haven't needed to spend any more credits beyond the price of the Civic. From the first 3 beginner races series and the Karting special event I've earned back 66600 credits without much effort. I can buy a far better car if I want to. And the more difficult races unlock way faster.

For now I going see how far I can get without spending credits. Winning cars from the licence tests and using those in whatever races will allow them. I hate buying useless cars for the sake of meeting the entry requirements. The entry requirements seem to the only thing getting in the way of completing most of the races with the same few favourite cars. Luckily GT4's Manufacturer races seem to be absent in GT5.

Question...

Can anyone upload a vid of parking your car on the racing line or braking 100m ahead of the AI please?

I just wanted to know if the A.I is as good as Forza 3(which is pretty decent for current console sims).

Also, IGN said you can no longer upgrade Brakes??!!.. this is true? I was looking forward to getting Carbon discs to save weight.

Picked it up and played a few hours after the fairly lengthy optional install. So far, it's a mixed bag as far as visuals. Premium cars look very nice as expected and standard cars just look ok. I honestly didn't pay much attention to the environments/track details because the racing is so intense, but as the screens that have been posted suggest, they are fairly inconsistent.

Load times, even after the install, are a little on the long side. The UI could be better but it's not bad.

Now for the good stuff. Playing with a DFGT set to simulation and the physics are SUPERB! Very unforgiving (when driving high-powered cars) but they feel VERY good... HUGE improvement over GT5P and a noticeable improvement over the Academy TT. Sound is also VERY good. If you play with tiny TV speakers, cars are gonna sound like vacuum cleaners, but if you play in a nice sound system, it sounds awesome.

I spent 2-3 hours just playing arcade and doing the license tests so far, so I've barely even touched the surface yet. I can see myself spending a shit load of hours on this game, just like GT1, GT3 and GT4 (especially 3). The license tests are actually more fun this time around IMO.

So far, I think any true racing sim fan will be quite pleased with GT5. The visuals are still good, but I think a lot of people are disappointed because the eye popping photomode shots raised people's expectations. Look past that and actually play the game, it really does feel and sound awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question...

Can anyone upload a vid of parking your car on the racing line or braking 100m ahead of the AI please?

I just wanted to know if the A.I is as good as Forza 3(which is pretty decent for current console sims).

Also, IGN said you can no longer upgrade Brakes??!!.. this is true? I was looking forward to getting Carbon discs to save weight.

I think it's much more impressive (and telling of the AI) to watch them jockey for position than it is to see if they move when someone stops in front of them. Either way, there are plenty of videos and testimonies out there of people who have done exactly what you're asking for and the cars move out of the way :rolleyes:

You can upgrade breaks, but not on all cars.

It sounds more like a forum post, and a rushed _attempt_ at game review. ^_^

I just checked Gaf. It looks like they are enjoying the game. Some PC car sim fans are liking it too. Has PD or Sony mention anything about patches ?

It sounds more like a forum post, and a rushed _attempt_ at game review. ^_^

I just checked Gaf. It looks like they are enjoying the game. Some PC car sim fans are liking it too. Has PD or Sony mention anything about patches ?

KY spoke about additional content and tweaks (as well as gameplay improvements) in coming months. I know there will be a lot of features hitting some time next month.

It sounds like IGN did an extremely limited review.

The didn´t review it, previews have been more precise than what they created. Good thing is that it pretty much sums up what we can expect from IGN, which makes their future reviews useless.

Which screen option are you guys using? Normal, Flicker Reduction, or Sharpen? Quaz51's old post says that Normal (in 1080p mode) enables SSAA while Flicker Reduction disables this making it look more like GT5P, and Sharpen looked like Normal to Quaz. I forgot to try this out when I was playing earlier, but I'm curious what you guys are using.

edit: Flicker Reduction looks best to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which screen option are you guys using? Normal, Flicker Reduction, or Sharpen? Quaz51's old post says that Normal (in 1080p mode) enables SSAA while Flicker Reduction disables this making it look more like GT5P, and Sharpen looked like Normal to Quaz. I forgot to try this out when I was playing earlier, but I'm curious what you guys are using.

edit: Flicker Reduction looks best to me.

Still on basic.

However I did 10 minutes with DS3 this morning and the framerate was smooth as butter, it really stood out. I wonder if it has to do with the online changs they've made (there's a notice about this on the news) or because of the DS3, but it was in cockpit view. I'm definitely going to investigate this more.

Back