Official GT5 discussion thread

Tha_con, how does the levelling system work ? I asked that question but it seems no one knows yet. Sony may need to arrangement for an interview with PD to clarify the game, like what they did with MGS4.

FWIW, If it's like previous GT's, the more challenging races required a higher license (I dunno if they're required in GT5) and certain races had requirements, like you would have to pick a certain car, use certain tires etc. Other than that, you can pretty much do any race once you've completed the licenses, but you're ultimately limited to your cash/credits and to a lesser degree, your skill level, because the car that you can afford at the start will obviously be too slow for the harder races.

I played GT1, GT2, almost 100% completed GT3 and got over half-way through GT4, but it's been a while, so feel free to correct any points.

BTW, can't wait to pick up my copy later today. :)

edit: I see there's an actual level system now. Nm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eurogamer review : 9/10 - an eclectic mix, weak online, hit and miss visuals, car-lover's paradise.

There are several reviews out.

IGN 8.5
Gamepro 9.1

Cynamite 8.5

CVG 8.0

joystiq 4/5

Destructoid 10/10

GamerFitNation 10/10

GamePlayBook 10/10

Pressfire.no 8,3/10

Gamershub 8/10

VideoGamesDaily 8/10

Justpushstart 8/10

Metro 8/10

Gamereactor 7/10

Jeuxvideo 7/10

Also saw that in Sweden standard version of GT5 costs 379kr at Elgiganten.se which is really cheap considering new console games cost about 599kr.

Tha_con, how does the levelling system work ? I asked that question but it seems no one knows yet. Sony may need to arrangement for an interview with PD to clarify the game, like what they did with MGS4.

Level system is simple. You build up experience points by winning races, licenses and special events, and they increase your level. This is just like trophies and your level for PSN.

Next, almost everything you can do and/or buy in the game is linked to this experience Level, by setting a minimum level threshold that is required for you to be able to buy a certain car, or race in a certain event (special event, normal race events, etc.).

It's really pretty simple and straightforward.

It's mostly an amazing game overall, but I have a few gripes and will just mention those. Mainly because you're going to see a lot of worthy praise:

Here is my disclaimer: In terms of gameplay and what GT5 offers, it's badass. Lots of cars, lots of tracks, lots of stuff to do. I like it a lot. It's fun, especially with a wheel. But it aint perfect...

The rain effects don't look as cool as I thought they would. In fact, overall they're no where near as good looking as F1 2010s (ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVGOxvJ5BV0).

I love driving from the cockpit perspective, it's immersive and rad. Racing in the snow is way too difficult from this view (it's fine from a 3rd person perspective), but otherwise it's practically impossible. There comes a point where I dont care about the realism of GT, I care about the playability--make snow playable from the cockpit Polyphony! At some point, this is a video game and I want to play from the most interesting perspective.

Also, the graphics are mostly amazing. I mean some of tracks just have to be seen in their 1080P glory, but there are times where they're not too impressive. For one, the shadows look aliased to hell. I'm talking staircases for King Kong. You'll see this mostly during some of the really sunny tracks. In some cases models appear to consist of a low polygon count, but with high textures to it has this odd effect. It's kinda like the human models in the game--they look bad--particularly the faces. It creates this weird, hi-rez funk to the game. I dont know exactly what it is but there are times where I'm looking at the game and it looks kinda generic. :(

The load times are ridiculous. Even after going through the uber-install (50 minutes), the loading times in the menu system are tedious at best! I feel like everywhere I go I'm waiting from something to load. I'm not sure what's going on, but Polyphony needs to optimize this game some more.

It's mostly an amazing game overall, but I have a few gripes and will just mention those. Mainly because you're going to see a lot of worthy praise:

Here is my disclaimer: In terms of gameplay and what GT5 offers, it's badass. Lots of cars, lots of tracks, lots of stuff to do. I like it a lot. It's fun, especially with a wheel. But it aint perfect...

The rain effects don't look as cool as I thought they would. In fact, overall they're no where near as good looking as F1 2010s (ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVGOxvJ5BV0).

I haven't driven in the rain enough yet, but at times it can look pretty great. Of course, F1 2010 is actually a 30fps game ...

I love driving from the cockpit perspective, it's immersive and rad. Racing in the snow is way too difficult from this view (it's fine from a 3rd person perspective), but otherwise it's practically impossible. There comes a point where I dont care about the realism of GT, I care about the playability--make snow playable from the cockpit Polyphony! At some point, this is a video game and I want to play from the most interesting perspective.

Have you checked out the different cockpit view settings? You can in the quick menu go from normal to narrow and narrower. Narrow already gives you a pretty good view from most cars.

Also, the graphics are mostly amazing. I mean some of tracks just have to be seen in their 1080P glory, but there are times where they're not too impressive. For one, the shadows look aliased to hell. I'm talking staircases for King Kong. You'll see this mostly during some of the really sunny tracks. In some cases models appear to consist of a low polygon count, but with high textures to it has this odd effect. It's kinda like the human models in the game--they look bad--particularly the faces. It creates this weird, hi-rez funk to the game. I dont know exactly what it is but there are times where I'm looking at the game and it looks kinda generic. :(

I think they did a pretty good job with well filtered high res textures on buildings to make them look more real. I agree with your other points though - some tracks look as if they've barely seen any change from GT4.

The load times are ridiculous. Even after going through the uber-install (50 minutes), the loading times in the menu system are tedious at best! I feel like everywhere I go I'm waiting from something to load. I'm not sure what's going on, but Polyphony needs to optimize this game some more.

I've heard this from others, but I really don't experience this problem and I didn't even pre-install. What you may be experiencing is the NXE effect perhaps? There's a lot of checking against online databases and servers at various times, and I think if the servers in your region are overburdened, you may suffer from it in that respect a little. You could probably try and play this signed out of PSN and/or your internet cable unplugged to see if that's the cause.

As much as I hate "reviewers guides" it does seem as though a lot of the press doesn't understand how the level system works (essentially unlocking things as you go).
I'm giong to adjust my view expressed in the pre-release thread, that reviewers shouldn't get any more than the gamers, coz as you point out, they ahve a limited time to play, where the player can have an experienced designed to grow and reveal itself of many hours of play. In light of that, a guide makes sense, but it should still be transparent to the users what the experience is and what they can expect.

IGN review also missed NASCAR, WRC, night racing & weather effects.
The Eurogramer review mentons his favourite aspect could have been easily missed. I suppose if anything that's testament to the sheer scale of the undertaking.

Looking at the review scores, GT5 is quite possibly the best GT ever and yet will be the lowest metaranking GT ever!

Looking at the review scores, GT5 is quite possibly the best GT ever and yet will be the lowest metaranking GT ever!

That's not necessarily incongruous though. GT5 is without question the best GT ever, by quite a margin too. However, as some critics point out, a lot can change in 5 years, and that includes the quality of the competition.

But the main problem for GT, as ever, is that it does so much. The bigger a game, the easier it is to find fault with it, and the harder it is to excel in a single area. Compare it to something like NFS, which gets pretty good reviews (in fact, comparable to GT5 it seems), but is still a fairly small, focussed game in comparison to the mammoth that is GT5.

And that combined with too little time for reviewing key components that were rolled out at the last minute, leads to a review disaster. I think in that respect, Gran Turismo would be better off as a modular 'service', or at the very least they should learn to think about their game like that.

That said, I'm totally in love with the game and can't wait to play it. Despite this year being fantastic for me in terms of games with a lot of very high scoring stuff and games I hadn't finished playing (and will probably continue to play for quite a while) - but GT5 is definitely one of those now.

I'm already happy with the online as it is now (everyone having their own lounge, messageboard, pregress log that others can see, the ability to give others cars and those funny but crazy extensive museumcards (there are so many of them!), the spectator mode, etc. - I need some more time to fully evaluate everything, but I do expect and hope that particularly this part will continue to grow (I would really like at least to see best times from my friends for various events / time trial stuff).

But being able to go into a lobby together and just do laps together working on best lap times is also pretty awesome, not to mention the NOT eaisly taken for granted voicechat options ... ;)

I haven't driven in the rain enough yet, but at times it can look pretty great. Of course, F1 2010 is actually a 30fps game ...

Yea, I hear ya. I guess, for me, I don't really care if its 60 fps (which is dodgy btw, it's not a solid 60fps in GT5) or 30fps--in the end it looks better in my opinion in F1 2010.

Have you checked out the different cockpit view settings? You can in the quick menu go from normal to narrow and narrower. Narrow already gives you a pretty good view from most cars.

Totally! :) But I'm reffering to the visibility cut down by the snow.

I've heard this from others, but I really don't experience this problem and I didn't even pre-install. What you may be experiencing is the NXE effect perhaps? There's a lot of checking against online databases and servers at various times, and I think if the servers in your region are overburdened, you may suffer from it in that respect a little. You could probably try and play this signed out of PSN and/or your internet cable unplugged to see if that's the cause.

I have a solid fiber connection, and low ping times in online games w/o packet loss so I'm not sure it's a connectivity issue. I think it's a local data access thing. I just feel like it needs some fat cut to speed things up.

Just saw the IGN's " Final Impressions" video on its youtube channel and though I am not a fan of GT or any sim racer, they seem to have given it to a wrong guy to re iew it. He seems to be looking for a "fun" racer rather than a racing sim here. He sounds like , quite frankly , me when I was handed a copy og GT4 prologue. I had thought I would have lotsa fun and instead what I got was a sim where I had to drive reaaly slow cars around tracks for hours before anything "fun" happened. I realised sims are not for me , but watching a friend play, I realised how much extremely "fun" it was for him for he could drive his dream car in a race just as if it was real !

Whereas I left my copy of GT4 impressed at what it could do for people who liked racing sims, this guy at IGN seems to ranting about it ! He bumps and bangs into every corner in the footage , just like I did inGT4 due to my arcade racing habits, and then blames the game for being a dull grind. I would have done that too to GT4, but I realised sims are not for me. Sadly, this "reviewer" can't say that as its his job and he seems to be slogging thru the game. Wonder what his full review will turn out to be ?!?!

I got extremely annoyed while watching the final impressions video for 2 reason:

1) Its starts off with "Turn 10 has released 2 Forza games"
2) The accent :p

bought the game today - 66 Euros at Media Markt.
cannot start playing today, or tomorrow...hopefully at weekend :(

am curios to test 3D :cool:

Anyone else having issues with the install ? At the first install it sat forever with 45 sec remaining so I aborted it eventually . I could continue installing after I went into the lounge, now it`s sitting there with 1 sec left on the timer for 10 minutes already...

Anyone else having issues with the install ? At the first install it sat forever with 45 sec remaining so I aborted it eventually . I could continue installing after I went into the lounge, now it`s sitting there with 1 sec left on the timer for 10 minutes already...

Mine did the same. 45 seconds and 1 seconds but I just let it go on since the HD was working and after a (quite long) while it finished.

Outside of that ridiculous install (takes 20 minutes it says :rolleyes:), the long load times, and poor UI, I must say I'm pleasantly surprised so far. No licence needed to start racing. And even my first car, a Honda Civic type R, is a decent enough ride. Certainly compared to the crappy used cars you had to start with in previous GT's.

The backgrounds are disappointment though. Wanting to spend limited resources on them is one thing, but these are just unimaginative. It's like they didn't even try to make them look good, copy/pasting the same stuff everywhere. Hopefully some of the other tracks are better looking.

I have a solid fiber connection, and low ping times in online games w/o packet loss so I'm not sure it's a connectivity issue. I think it's a local data access thing. I just feel like it needs some fat cut to speed things up.

I was going to tell you that while there is a slight delay on many things i don´t find them annoying, but then i had a few times where the wait was so that i felt i waited, something is fishy :)

Picking my copy up today but won't get a chance to play it until next week when my Slim get here.

Looking at reviews, the key word that I can gather is inconsistant. The games graphics are wildly inconsistant which can clearly make a less than appealing experience. The "standard vs premium" seems to apply to tracks also which frankly is very disappointing. The problem there being until you play each track, you don't know what you're getting. For refernce this is Laguna Seca: http://www.gamereactor.se/media/96/granturismo5_229641b.jpg That is outright embarrasing for a company that prides itself on quality and presentation, has a huge budget and ridiculous amouts of development time behind it.

I wish the issues were simply left at graphics. After all, once you're immeresed into the gameplay, your mind will be concentrating on racing. Here you run into another problem. Framerate and tearing. Framerate inconsistancies in a racing game are a major buzz kill.

GT5 should have been a condensed package, massaged to perfection. Yet, it reminds of a product made to fit a checklist.

It's hard to imagine that GT5 is a rushed project. It's the exact opposite based on industry trends. Yet, that's probably the most accurate summary I can gather from reviews.

The silver lining here is that the driving seems to be great and for that I'm glad and thus I'm debating getting a PS3 today vs waiting for Amazon's black friday offer to kick in. In future, I hope PD recognizes they won't be slammed not playing the numbers game with GT6 as long as they can provide a consistant experience throughout.

One of the GT5 ads in Best Buy showed kart racing, which looked totally badass. Anyone tried it yet?

And even my first car, a Honda Civic type R, is a decent enough ride. Certainly compared to the crappy used cars you had to start with in previous GT's.

Can you tell me what the first five or so awarded cars are if you have gotten that far? That always frustrated me in the older GT games where they endlessly awarded really crappy cars. Starting with a Civic Type R as the 1st awarded car is promising, but I'm curious what follows after that.

Here you run into another problem. Framerate and tearing. Framerate inconsistancies in a racing game are a major buzz kill.

I know you can't do anything about it because of a tv and/or receiver limitation, but for others try switching to 720p mode if you have framerate/tearing issues. The amount of bandwidth that frees up for transparency passes, shadow passes, z cull passes, post process, etc, is substantial and should eliminate some of the performance and visual issues.

Back