NVIDIA Maxwell Speculation Thread

Dead serious! I had never heard of it until the videocardz blub. Not much of a gamer obviously. ;)

Alright, wasn't sure :)

Personally, I'm not getting my hopes up for an announcement, but I did google around and it seems like their architectures get announced at their own shows. The consumer cards themselves seem to be announced whenever.

GTX 480 - Feb 22nd, 2010 (launch in march) Announced on Facebook
GTX 580 - Nov 9th 2010 - No conference/No specific show
GTX 680 - March 22nd, 2012 - Game Developers Conference
GTX 780 - May 23rd, 2013 - One story said it was at a Esport competition in China.

I don't think an August announcement would be that out if the blue, but I'm not sure we've heard enough rumors and leaks yet for me to believe it.

Dont look forcibly the date of launch..

Fermi, we have a got a full pretty presentation with slides and woodscrew of it by Nvidia. ( Ok it was too easy as a joke ) .

For Kepler it was too the same ( without the woodscrew ) ..

Ofc it was a bit different with the GK110, because basically it was Kepler.. and the release was put amoung 3 gpu with different date ( in something like 3 month ) 780TI - 780 ( later ) and Titan .. but well basically everything was said about kepler when the GK104 680 have been launched...

I need say, that, thoses last 2 years on this department have been so " strange ", that, well, why not an anoucement on the deutshland Gamescon.. ( we was waiting AMD on 22nm for Hawaii, we are still waiting 20nm, we have got upgraded product on 28nm, and will still see next series on 28nm) ..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of Gamescom and I'm a reasonably active PC/PS3/iPhone gamer.

/shrug

At the same time, the Gamescon is in Europe, germany. Thoses last years it have become important, but even if it is a big event, this type of convention are a bit confidential outside their country.

From videocardz:

http://videocardz.com/51117/exclusive-nvidia-geforce-gtx-880-released-september

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880 to be released in September

According to our sources, NVIDIA will officially announce GeForce GTX 880 somewhere mid-September. NVIDIA is planning a big event for all major press members from around the world. Prepare for boring Maxwell architecture presentation, live streaming, new hardware and smiling Jen-Hsun explaining why you should buy GSYNC monitor and SHIELD tablet.

Of course this live event will only be a paper launch. Cards are expected to hit stores shortly after (late September).

According to our sources, NVIDIA will officially announce GeForce GTX 880 somewhere mid-September. NVIDIA is planning a big event for all major press members from around the world. Prepare for boring Maxwell architecture presentation, live streaming, new hardware and smiling Jen-Hsun explaining why you should buy GSYNC monitor and SHIELD tablet.

Of course this live event will only be a paper launch. Cards are expected to hit stores shortly after (late September).

http://videocardz.com/51117/exclusive-nvidia-geforce-gtx-880-released-september
Wow, lots of bile in that paragraph.

Last time they swore it's August :p

They said the August date was a rumor.

For the past few days we have been hearing some crazy rumors regarding GeForce GTX 880 launch date. According to one report, a pair of two GM204-based cards would appear mid-August.

Ever since we heard this rumor, we’ve been trying to verify this information and so far no one was able to confirm it.

They claim the September date has been sourced. So who knows, but I think it's pretty much guaranteed that we'll have an announcement within the next 3 months.

Last time they swore it's August :p

What there wasn't any paywalled writeup they could plagiarize this time? :oops: :LOL:

I don't even bother reading that stuff these days; I think it was the other day when I read elsewhere a funky combination of a supposed 7.9b chip on a 256bit bus. Yes between 204 and 200 there's just a one digit difference, but a quite important one :rolleyes:

Other then that my gut feeling tells me of a GM204 release somewhere mid autumn with strong availability starting with its salvage parts with the full parts to follow shorty after and a possible top dog whitepaper introduction at the same time or after for somewhere late 2014/early 2015.

What there wasn't any paywalled writeup they could plagiarize this time? :oops: :LOL:

I don't even bother reading that stuff these days; I think it was the other day when I read elsewhere a funky combination of a supposed 7.9b chip on a 256bit bus. Yes between 204 and 200 there's just a one digit difference, but a quite important one :rolleyes:

Other then that my gut feeling tells me of a GM204 release somewhere mid autumn with strong availability starting with its salvage parts with the full parts to follow shorty after and a possible top dog whitepaper introduction at the same time or after for somewhere late 2014/early 2015.

Well this time it seems peoples start recieve invit for the presentation..

I expect too "real availability" debut in september ( well anyway, shops dont get them at same time between EU, US, Asia )....

As for the GM200, well again it depend if it is made on 20nm or not ( that i expect it to be ) and when really full production could be available.

I tend to believe Nvidia will not speak too much about it outside architecture Maxwell presentation, just for dont come with a new "faster gpu" and end saying they have something faster who come soon. They dont want to see too much peoples waiting about the "future product".

That'd make for a heck of a disappointing launch if Nvidia can't get enough fully functional dies at launch, considering they'll have had a working maxwell chip on the market for nearly 6 months, GM204's rumored die size is considerably smaller than GK110 (and possibly even smaller than Hawaii), and we're on a VERY mature 28nm process now.

That'd make for a heck of a disappointing launch if Nvidia can't get enough fully functional dies at launch, considering they'll have had a working maxwell chip on the market for nearly 6 months, GM204's rumored die size is considerably smaller than GK110 (and possibly even smaller than Hawaii), and we're on a VERY mature 28nm process now.

Some of the rumors are talking about 3 models from GM204 as well.

I noticed that no one, not even at the level of rumors, talk more about Denver arm cpu... I ask myself if it will be on 800 series and what function might have in the field of gaming

I noticed that no one, not even at the level of rumors, talk more about Denver arm cpu... I ask myself if it will be on 800 series and what function might have in the field of gaming

Good question. I've always been under the impression that the 64-bit Denver CPU will come first to Tegra [K1]. According to one guy at Anandtech, NVIDIA will reportedly be talking in detail about Denver CPU at Hot Chips later this month.

Good question. I've always been under the impression that the 64-bit Denver CPU will come first to Tegra [K1]. According to one guy at Anandtech, NVIDIA will reportedly be talking in detail about Denver CPU at Hot Chips later this month.

very interesting, ok thank you

Back