NVIDIA Maxwell Speculation Thread

it states "Mobile Processors", I'd guess that talk is not related to desktop GPUs.

I think the same, here we are seeing the work on Nvidia on the Denver mobile processor. I dont think it will be related to anything of a possibility to see an ARM chips in future Nvidia product.

I really dont think we will see it on Maxwell, maybe on the next Maxwell "20nm", and again maybe not before a future architecture.

Anyway i see the implementation direct of ARM core on a gpu a good solution for Nvidia, including for get access to HSA based system, and we can imagine if ARM enter the server / cloud / HPC system this will be with HSA ( starting by AMD x64 ARM CPU )... by pushing an ARM CPU in their gpu, they bring back a complete compatibility too with HSA features on their gpu solution..

That'd make for a heck of a disappointing launch if Nvidia can't get enough fully functional dies at launch, considering they'll have had a working maxwell chip on the market for nearly 6 months, GM204's rumored die size is considerably smaller than GK110 (and possibly even smaller than Hawaii), and we're on a VERY mature 28nm process now.

I don't know their plans but I fail to see the purpose for a paper launch quite frankly. We have reports that GM204 has had its final tape out in early April + 6 months gives October for mass production. If they could rush things a few weeks forward that's brilliant but September sounds too far streched.

Yes they have GM107 shipping for months now but it's a first generation Maxwell and not a GM2xx :p

lanek,

At this stage I have little doubt that GM200 is NOT on 28nm. The only other surprise that I might not expect would something like 28HPm.

I don't know their plans but I fail to see the purpose for a paper launch quite frankly. We have reports that GM204 has had its final tape out in early April + 6 months gives October for mass production. If they could rush things a few weeks forward that's brilliant but September sounds too far streched.[/b]

When was the last time Nvidia paper launched anything (i.e. weeks ahead of product availability)? I think, as far as I can remember, gtx 480 reviews came out a week ahead of product availability. Kepler (gtx 680) got a big NDA briefing a week before reviews and products hit the shelves, so I'm thinking this is what will happen. Nvidia will invite all the press to an event in Santa Clara, give them all hardware to take home and test, while setting the NDA expiration and product availability a week or two afterwords.

When was the last time Nvidia paper launched anything (i.e. weeks ahead of product availability)? I think, as far as I can remember, gtx 480 reviews came out a week ahead of product availability. Kepler (gtx 680) got a big NDA briefing a week before reviews and products hit the shelves, so I'm thinking this is what will happen. Nvidia will invite all the press to an event in Santa Clara, give them all hardware to take home and test, while setting the NDA expiration and product availability a week or two afterwords.

When in September is the invitation for? (honest question)

When was the last time Nvidia paper launched anything (i.e. weeks ahead of product availability)?

Actually it was the latest graphics card they have released - the Titan Z. Announced something like 3 months before availability :devilish:

2 things speak for a potential paper launch: a) it could be more of a maxwell/800 series launch, than a specific card (pretty like amd's 200 series launch a year ago), and b) september means it's technically still launched in Q2.

Titan Z was announced but was never paper launched. Announcing is not paper launching. Paper launching is sending out and getting product reviews well ahead of product availability.

„A paper launch is the situation in which a product is compared or tested against other products of the same kind, despite the fact that it is not available to the public at the time.“
- Wikipedia

„TITAN Z gives you truly amazing performance—easily making it the fastest graphics card we’ve ever made.“
- Nvidia

„A paper launch is the situation in which a product is compared or tested against other products of the same kind, despite the fact that it is not available to the public at the time.“
- Wikipedia

„TITAN Z gives you truly amazing performance—easily making it the fastest graphics card we’ve ever made.“
- Nvidia

Stick to Czech.

The general twattiness is starting to grate. At least you confine yours to RSPC these days. Mostly.

But I'll attempt to rephrase it.

If you don't understand the difference between talking about upcoming products and launching a product and then not having it available for months then your comment is not useful.

I remember a time long long ago, where IHVs were pillared if GPUs we're not available on exactly the same day as the expiration of the NDAs. And the time where Nvidia announced (7800 time frame?) that they would stop that kind of idiocy because the logistics were just too much trouble. Sanity started to prevail, cards like the 7970 were launched in December, and only available in store in January, and one way or the other the world didn't collapse.

In other markets, stuff gets pre-announced all the time. It's not a big deal.

This stuff is stupid.

Paper launches and reviews of unavailable products could be considered slimy once when product cycles were 6 months long. Now they're closer to 3 years so that stuff really doesn't matter any more. Tahiti and GK104 hit the market in early 2012 and are still going strong.

I remember a time long long ago, where IHVs were pillared if GPUs we're not available on exactly the same day as the expiration of the NDAs. And the time where Nvidia announced (7800 time frame?) that they would stop that kind of idiocy because the logistics were just too much trouble. Sanity started to prevail, cards like the 7970 were launched in December, and only available in store in January, and one way or the other the world didn't collapse.

In other markets, stuff gets pre-announced all the time. It's not a big deal.

This stuff is stupid.

If we're talking about sanity and idiocy, perhaps we should also be talking about what would be considered a non-idiotic time-frame between an announcement and availability for the end-user.

It's one thing to announce a product and make it available within 1 or 2 months because of distribution logistics. Then, it's a completely different thing to announce a product and make it available some 3-6 months later.
One was bound by logistics, yes. The other was bound by their marketing team.

Of course, I'm talking about discrete graphics cards were the OEMs can put reference cards in the shelves rather fast since they don't have to wait for design-wins in other products (unlike mobile GPUs or SoCs, for example.).

I don't think there ever was a case where a pure consumer product was announced 3-6 months up front, so it's not something to worry about.

Announcing compute oriented products long before introduction is fair game: this customer segment needs time to make budget decisions. By announcing early, you give yourself an extra hand to play. The spill-over effects of getting consumers interested as well are gravy.

So Titan-Z isn't a pure consumer product?
Not really. Announced at GTC. Only useful for some very specific compute use cases. Priced for no volume at all.

And if the gossip rumors are true, it was planned to be released earlier and then delayed to to issues. I can't be bothered to look up exactly how long it was delayed due to this, but shit happens in engineering.

But feel free to disagree, and express outrage if you prefer. It's of no importance.

Back