No FF on 360

memeory still recalls some dev has claimed FFXIII can only b done with the power of PS3, but as controversial as it can b, i still think SE would hold it exclusive to ps3 since sony would sell their panties for that

I have to assume they're talking about "main FF franchise" games here. FFXI, while numbered, is in its' own little world. And I rather doubt either questions OR answers would be referring to anything that could hit XBLA or was a redo/reskinning...

So what about FFXIII versus? And Haeresis or whatever it is? If he had simply said FFXIII (the only main FF franchise game coming out soon) that would be on thing, but FF has split off with the remakes, online game, FFVII things, Crystal Chronicles and Tactics.

In fact, he notes that the Wii is getting Crystal Chronicles, so we are including non-mainline FF games here...

I wouldn't. Final Fantasy is known for being a graphical tour de force with cg movies and all. That wouldn't fit the DS/Wii.

I wouldn't. Final Fantasy is known for being a graphical tour de force with cg movies and all. That wouldn't fit the DS/Wii.

Wasn't always that way, they could revert back to the pre-VII style of Final Fantasy (which would be great).

Besides, it's not like the Wii isn't capable of nice visuals. Though, I do wish they'd come up with some new franchises.

Yeah thats why there are like 4 FF games out for DS or in development...

He was refering to the main series, not the sidequests to the Final Fantasy franchise. The main series has been exclusive to the PlayStation platform for just about 10 years now.

So what about FFXIII versus? And Haeresis or whatever it is? If he had simply said FFXIII (the only main FF franchise game coming out soon) that would be on thing, but FF has split off with the remakes, online game, FFVII things, Crystal Chronicles and Tactics.

In fact, he notes that the Wii is getting Crystal Chronicles, so we are including non-mainline FF games here...
As XIII and Versus XIII are both using the White Engine, I rather see little chance that they bring it over to another platform. If "Heriasis" or whatever is referring to a next-gen MMO, then I assume that would be multi-platform. I know they have SOME MMO in the works, but I'd heard it was not FF-based. If not, what is that H-game...? Hell if I know. Probably depends on what engine they're using.

My remark was mainly to exclude games we know are ALREADY multi-platform and would remain so (MMO's), and the smaller splinter-projects. While a number of them probably wouldn't go to the 360 anyway, as they're likely of more appeal to a Japanese audience, I wouldn't expect them to be dismissive of projects that have little cost, easy distribution, and the promise to pick up loose change. (XBLA) They're putting Agito XIII on damn cell phones, after all. :p

Crystal Chronicles may not be strictly "main line," but it's still a larger project.

Blank Page

A blank page? Why use a confusing allusion when you could just say there are no FF games planned for the 360?

Maybe it was a translation thing.

I think perhaps blank page means not "no FF" but could be completely new type of FF with no link to PS3 FF. Maybe even the name is different.

"Why do I feel like I keep repeating myself?"

SE for reasons of their own have always chosen a single game single platform strategy. Having the tangents of these games appearing on multiple platforms is recent and even these games go to single platforms. FF12, which IMO is not a true "main" FF game is the only one that breaks the rule, and this was SE's first MMO test.

Wash/Rinse/Repeat:

SE makes games for single platforms. These games have side adventures which go to other single platforms.

---
OT
I'm currently playing FF6 advance (which I waited ~12 years for) and it's a fantastic game. I can't believe how well done it is. (I probably still enjoy Chrono Trigger more though).

Last edited by a moderator:
ars technica's article about this issue is spot on imho

"Headline: Square says "NO FINAL FANTASY FOR Xbox 360! PlayStation 3 wins!

..., people think Final Fantasy moves systems, and where Final Fantasy goes, gamer go. So the forums are going crazy when Square said that Microsoft would never see a Final Fantasy game. But is that the story here?...

... To start, this is something a Japanese man said to Japan's Nikkei BP. Was this translated? I'd be interested in the subtleties of what was said and in what context. This isn't a note saying it won't happen, or that it will never happen, or anything really...It's a blank....

...First, I'm not saying that a price drop isn't happening or that Final Fantasy is coming to the 360. Both of these things are complex decisions that are most likely being debated right now and will be for a long time. The point is both things are far from certain either way, and these two quotes shouldn't add much evidence to believing things will go one way or another. It's certainly not worth the certainty and vitriol we're seeing across the Internet when it comes to these loaded topics....

...So take a deep breath, follow the links, think about the source, and ask yourself what the quoted sections could actually mean. Reality is more complicated than the easy headlines and forum arguments would have you believe..."

No doubt it is - but the headlines might just be well through that SquareEnix has every intention to back Sony, given their belief/forsight that most of their buyers have traditionally stayed on the PlayStation platform.

Any indication SE is upset at MS about the Mistwalker thing? MS funds and supports a direct SE competitor which was started with by a FF creator.

That shouldn't have any bearing on their choices. Firstly, it's bad business practice to snub a (relatively) huge market because of disagreeable choices. Secondly, SE must be confident enough in their own products, especially FF, to not care about competition. It's improbable that Mistwalker will usurp SE as the primary JRPG developer, and the unenthusiastic adoption of Blue Dragon gives plenty of reason not to worry.

Doesn't matter what goes on, though... There are going to be untold legions of people screaming about it no matter what they do. :p

Im going to add some more fuel to the fire.

Eurogamer said:
Square Enix has clarified that recent comments made by Shinji Hashimoto regarding Final Fantasy on Xbox 360 were referring to the company's current plans, GamesIndustry.biz reports.

Japan's Nikkei BP quoted the executive producer as saying, "As for Final Fantasy on the Xbox 360, it's currently a completely blank page." Some reports interpreted this to mean that the series will never again appear on Microsoft's next-gen console.

However, a spokesperson for Square Enix told GamesIndustry.biz, "Hashimoto-san was talking about the current situation
" - which would suggest his comments shouldn't be interpreted as forward-looking.

Source"

Back