Final Fantasy 13 multi-disc interview

PSman

Banned
http://ps3.qj.net/Contrary-to-what-...ve-FFXIII-PS3-IS-compromised/pg/49/aid/134299

When Final Fantasy moved to PlayStation 2, it only ever appeared on 1 DVD. This meant that unlike previous iterations on the original PlayStation, every area within the game could technically be open at any time. In previous games, some areas appeared on some discs, and were closed off in others. The same can even be said for games such as Lost Odyssey on the Xbox 360, due to the space constraints of the DVD, the majority of side-quests appeared on the final disc. Final Fantasy XIII will be affected in the same way.

This is not a huge problem if an RPG is 360 exclusive or developed for Xbox 360 first, but if it is meant to be developed on the PS3 first and take advantage of ALL it's features, then it is a problem.

If the game was on a single Blu-Ray disc, it would allow the player to explore many areas, and many side-quests at any time throughout the game. However, due to the DVD limitations of the Xbox 360, the game will be cut up, and many areas you visit at the beginning of the game will most likely not be available towards the end of the game. This may be one of the main reasons that many PS3 fans are looking forward to Final Fantasy Vs XIII more than Final Fantasy XIII, because Versus represents an upgrade in scale whereas Final Fantasy XIII is actually a downgrade from earlier Final Fantasy games in that sense.

Whoa! Is this really true? If so that suck really bad:mad:.. I hate to see high quality games being held back due to hardware limitations.. Can anyone here confirm this.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay... so the X360 version is on multiple DVDs. Seeing as every PS3 game is existence is on Blu-ray, I don't see them splitting up the PS3 version. Looks like they're just making the assumption that both versions are going to be split up, which probably isn't the case.

1z172o7.jpg

i don't think it's true, the game looks almost the same as the demo.....if not better.;)

August 31, 2009
http://www.gamersyde.com/pop_images_final_fantasy_xiii-11470-3.html

http://www.gamersyde.com/pop_images_final_fantasy_xiii-11470-1.html

http://www.gamersyde.com/pop_images_final_fantasy_xiii-11470-5.html

what kind of down grade looks like that?:???:

unless people were expecting ff13 to look on paralell with crysis i think we should just ignore the rantings of the public's speculation.;)

I dont think he's referring to graphics at all...He's referring to how multiple disk approach would make the game strip down from total freedom to being blocked to access older areas as story progresses forward. You saw this happen with Rage too [earlier idea of one big world was replaced by what the game is now]

I do however think that this multi disk issue "may" cause the game to suffer & hence a downgrade. [again not talking about visuals]

If the game was on a single Blu-Ray disc, it would allow the player to explore many areas, and many side-quests at any time throughout the game. However, due to the DVD limitations of the Xbox 360, the game will be cut up, and many areas you visit at the beginning of the game will most likely not be available towards the end of the game.
BS.
" There's no reason to go back. "

I can't remember any specific areas you couldn't revisit in previous FF's. There may have been a few, but I'm certain you could revisit the vast majority of them.

I'll mostly likely be the CGI movies and story scenes that'll be divided over multiple disks. While the game world itself is on all of them.

Yeah, previous Final Fantasy games I've played haven't restricted you from going back to past areas despite being on 3+ discs.

I'm really not sure how they came to the conclusion this will be any different.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, previous Final Fantasy games I've played haven't restricted you from going back to past areas despite being on 3+ discs.

I'm really not sure how they came to the conclusion this will be any different.

Regards,
SB
They dropped a plate to block off an entire sector of Midgar. They closed off the door to the cave of the Ghi with "super glue". Gaea's Cliff. Midgar underground/Hojo's lab. Desert Prison. Whirlwind Maze. Temple Of The Ancients. There's a whole bunch of areas in FF7 that close off and can not be visited again.

Same for FF8 and FF9.

FF X and X-2 have the whole game world on one disc, and X-2 in particular is structured to take advantage of that.

They dropped a plate to block off an entire sector of Midgar. They closed off the door to the cave of the Ghi with "super glue". Gaea's Cliff. Midgar underground/Hojo's lab. Desert Prison. Whirlwind Maze. Temple Of The Ancients. There's a whole bunch of areas in FF7 that close off and can not be visited again.

Same for FF8 and FF9.

FF X and X-2 have the whole game world on one disc, and X-2 in particular is structured to take advantage of that.

Yes, but quite often the storyline itself locks out certain areas, not a silly restriction like multiple discs.

If an area were to be, for example, destroyed then there would be nothing there to revisit and no reason to allow a player back to it.

As you said FF X had the whole game world on one disc. But if I remember correctly there were also area's locked to the player once you progressed past it and you were no longer allowed full access to area. Did that perhaps have something to do with being on multiple discs also? :p

Regards,
SB

Yes, but quite often the storyline itself locks out certain areas, not a silly restriction like multiple discs.

If areas are blocked off due to space reasons, they would obviously structure the plot of the game such to accommodate those necessities, so to us it would be transparent either way.

The question hanging I guess will always be to what extent those compromises took place in FFVII... and in the case of FFVII where CD was the latest/greatest anyway, whether they could even be viewed as compromises. With the PSXIII debate it gets messier, and for everyone's benefits I almost hope we don't get a (negative) answer!

...though I would believe it if it were the case.

I don't know, QJ might want to start by linking to the GameTrailers interview they are basing this off to being with.

They have a link to ps3center, which have a link to the gametrailers interview...

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-final-fantasy/55240

The parts where they're talking about some parts of the game would be locked is based on their assumption and the interview doesn't have anything on that.

There is a bit of inconsistency on why the Japanese voice isn't included on PS3.. at first he (Yoshinori Kitase) said that Bluray has the capacity for it but they don't want any difference between the PS3 and 360 version so they go with this option (not including the Japanese voice). But later he talks that they want to shorten the release gap between the Japanese version to the US/EU version because including multiple language track would need a lot of testing thus increasing the gap. And then he talks that they choose English language because it's more accessible to the younger audience who usually have a trouble following subtitle.

And then the rest... After that they are talking about targeting 3 disc for 360 version and they are working hard at compressing everything while still keeping the quality. Lastly he's talking about providing download-able format for overseas (demo I believe), but the content wouldn't be a direct port from the one released in Japan since there are a lot of update since then.

So basically he want both version to be equal thus not including Japanese voice... but then he try to justify it by saying that not including Japanese voice gonna make the US/EU version out faster. And using English voice instead of subtitle to make it more accessible for younger audience IMO sounds a bit bullcrap... I can understand it if this is an action game, but this is an RPG which supposedly contain lots of text in it.

Having said that, I don't really mind their decision as long as it doesn't compromise any game play element and not losing anything important in translation.

Why do you call downgrade? Most of the changes are cosmetic and non-technical. There are big changes in lighting and the addition of DOF. The skin shading is much improved.

Well is it is downgraded in terms of polygon count. Look at the necklace, look at the shoulders.

Back