Final Fantasy 13 multi-disc interview

What JRPGs on the 360 have been on a single disc? BD and LO were 3 and 4, respectively, and I know Star Ocean was multidisc (but I don't know how many). No idea about Last Remnant. Eternal Sonata?

Edit: Oh, wait, doh, Vesperia is a single disc.
As far as the decent budget RPGs go. Eternal Sonata, Enchant-Arm(I think this one has both voice tracks as well.), and Tales of Vesperia(which had only 1.). There are several low budget ones that are 1 dvd as well. I'm not sure about Last Remnant. My copy is still in the Amazon box. I'll get to opening it after a finish off a few other games. IU is on two disk and another SE published game that doesn't feature both voice tracks.

I have the Advent Children set. Bought it in April during my business trip there.

In some scenes, Lightning does have "angular" shoulder as shown in the "newer" image in the Kotaku article. I have no idea where the other set of images come from.

If the game is indeed downgraded, it could also be for a variety of reasons. Not necessarily due to 360.

However, it's silly to leave out the Japanese voice track. I played the demo, didn't find the game entertaining. Need to know more about the big bosses and ultimate weapons. Otherwise, I might skip it.

As far as the decent budget RPGs go. Eternal Sonata, Enchant-Arm(I think this one has both voice tracks as well.), and Tales of Vesperia(which had only 1.). There are several low budget ones that are 1 dvd as well. I'm not sure about Last Remnant. My copy is still in the Amazon box. I'll get to opening it after a finish off a few other games. IU is on two disk and another SE published game that doesn't feature both voice tracks.

Last Remnant i think was two DVDs.

The 360 would have been blamed for any technical issues found in that game, including lower polys on models, Sub-HD, and having to install multiple times.

Yeah, we'll all see if SE were telling the truth, once we see how FF13vs makes IT'S conversion from PC to PS3. Till then MGS4 remains a good example of how big PC to console deployment can change a game's cosmetics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Additionally with new rumors that the actual facial animations have been changed to match the English language track, it may have been a completely artistic consideration to leave out the Japanese voices.

Regards,
SB

Square has done this before, with KH1, 2 and Re: Chain of Memories. It's certainly the type of thing they like to do. IIRC, FF12 did as well.

Really, though, them leaving out the Japanese track is par for the course. No Square RPG I know of released under their name has had a Japanese track in it alongside an English one.

I kind of doubt it the screens are reversed since I remember clearly that when the original screens were released that I was impressed by Lightning's detailed hair, which looked like the picture above.
It seems clear to me which are the more recent pics; the bottom ones. The character shading and lighting is markedly improved, and that's the principle focus of FF games. You spend so much time looking at these peeps yabbering about their problems, they need to look good! To go from good shading, simpler geometry to simple shading and a convincingly round necklace is a backwards step.

Square has done this before, with KH1, 2 and Re: Chain of Memories. It's certainly the type of thing they like to do. IIRC, FF12 did as well.

Really, though, them leaving out the Japanese track is par for the course. No Square RPG I know of released under their name has had a Japanese track in it alongside an English one.

Last Remnant on PC has both, English and Japanese VOs.

About the multi-disc thing, I think a smarter optional install might be the best solution. People with HDD install only the essentials like locations and people without play just like you would expect them to by switching disk.

As long as they can avoid changing disc back and forth, I think multiple disc is fine. I hope they can achieve that without the need to modify the gameplay. The worst case scenario for Xbox360 version in terms of gameplay is when they near the end of the game and want to fool around a bit, the game ask for disc 1 or 2 (or both).
Is there any retail Xbox360 games that made HDD a requirement?

And a bit OT... Is PS3 reserve X amount of HDD just to make sure that a game always can use HDD for some kind of cache? or we need to clear up some space whenever playing a game that require a temporary HDD space?

Is there any retail Xbox360 games that made HDD a requirement?

There are some...

Just throwing this out here, not-directed at anyone in particular:
MS does not mandate that a game should run on the HDD-less SKU. It's entirely up to the developer. It's more a question of "do I want to alienate the HDD-less crowd".

Changing discs is that not that big of a deal for me. It was no worse than having to install chapters in MGS4.

There are some...

MS does not mandate that a game should run on the HDD-less SKU. It's entirely up to the developer. It's more a question of "do I want to alienate the HDD-less crowd".

Which is the reason why not allowing it to run on an HDD less SKU seems out of the question. Square likely put it on the 360 in order to maximize profits. Though it might be an option for them cutting out HDD-less systems could be kissing potential sales good-bye. Even Carmak who will have his game available on 3 different platforms is taking the HDD-less 360 into consideration.

Is that a change in policy? I thought in the early days it was mandated. Do we have any idea how many HDD-free lo-cal XB360s are out there? Is it a substantial slice of the pie?

There are some...

If I remembered correctly, MS does mandate that the game to run without the need for a hard disk. I remember one of the key presentations they did before is that all games are required to play without a hard disk. Of course the use of Hard disks are greatly encouraged.

Is that a change in policy? I thought in the early days it was mandated. Do we have any idea how many HDD-free lo-cal XB360s are out there? Is it a substantial slice of the pie?

No it's been like that from the beginning. All Microsoft told devs is to not count on all the systems to have hardrives while developing. Most devs don't seem willing to risk losing customers over it so most games don't require it. There doesn't seem to be a way around it with MMOs but most other games haven't needed it so far.

"Every game will work with every Xbox 360 system. But just like some games will require you to have a Memory Unit to save games, some games will require you to have a Hard Drive to experience them."
stolen from

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161805

Some of the gamers who decided to by a system with a HDD would just decide to spend their money on another game that they won't need a HDD to play.

"Feel free to require 30GB for your game - [but] that's just going to make your potential audience a lot smaller," a Microsoft representative told a group of developers while speaking at GameFest.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/135969/new_xbox_360_games_will_require_hard_drive_model.html

That was with respect to an MMO though.

Well, I doubt that MS would forbid SE to mandate an HDD, after XI needed one and even Football Manager needed one too. SE has too much leverage on MS. (plus, if FF looked much worse on 360 than on PS3, or if the disc changes were a real pain in the ass, MS wouldn't benefit from FF at all).

MS does mandate games work without HDD..once read an article with Shane Kim about GTA4, the interviewers mentioned rumors it would require a HDD..Kim basically said they dont allow that, and that if Take Two pushed for it they'd "push back".

FF13 is certainly not going to require a HDD. That would freeze out way too many potential customers if nothing else. Arcade has been selling around 50% share of 360 hardware since it dropped to $199. There's also no real precedent, no major 360 games has required it to date, excluding perhaps MMO's, which would be understandable.

Which is the reason why not allowing it to run on an HDD less SKU seems out of the question. Square likely put it on the 360 in order to maximize profits. Though it might be an option for them cutting out HDD-less systems could be kissing potential sales good-bye. Even Carmak who will have his game available on 3 different platforms is taking the HDD-less 360 into consideration.

FF XI required a HDD, which was far less ubiquitous on the PS2 then the HDDs in 360s. While FF XI was a MMORPG, SE still made it a part of the main series of the franchise. If the circumstances surrounding the lack of penetration of HDD owners within the PS2 userbase didn't dissuade SE from developing FF XI then I find it hard to believe SE would be dissuaded from requiring a HDD to play FF 13.

Its not like the HDD less crowd make up the majority of the 360 userbase. I find it hard to believe that SE would start development on FF13 with the ideal of PS3 exclusivity and then suddenly when going multiplat deciding to or MS forcing them to use the core/arcade 360 crowd as the lowest common denominator It creates a scenario that would require a pretty big change to the current development at the time just to accomodate what is a relatively small part of the overall HD market.

Also, I find it hard to believe that MS would be so ardent about maintaining it standards of "the arcade/core must be able to play everything" that it wouldn't oblige SE on a HDD requirement for FF 13.

Aye, while I'm sure MS encourages devs to not require a HD, I'm also pretty sure they aren't adverse to a 3rd party dev taking the risk. There's always the chance that a game requiring a HD might entice an arcade owner to buy a HD. More profit.

On the flip side of that. I don't believe MS would allow any 1st party devs to require one as that's more risk than MS would want to take on.

Regards,
SB

Back