Nintendo press conf. comments

I think people who were expecting total control of everything have unrealistically high expectations. Did anyone really expect for example that Zelda would have infinitely free sword movements? I sure didn't.

What I really want to see more of is Disaster: Day of Crisis. I can't tell if those visuals were all supposed to be pre-rendered or real time. It looks pretty good though.

Agreed. FFCC also look pretty cool.

wco81 said:
As far as translating your exact motion, I'm guessing the technology/cost isn't there.
I imagine it's more a case of animation limitations myself. There are a few canned anims for the character and one is selected on motion. Perhaps the processing requirements for IK based animation are too high? Dunno.

The conference was great, just as good if not better than the Sony conference.

The games really showed what Nintendo is about as compared to Sony.

I planned on getting a Wii all along after I get a PS3, but now with the price point of the PS3 I may just get a Wii instead and wait till PS3 drops. Unless there is a must have game for the PS3.

The Wii looks great for family entertainment continuing Nintendo's group games.

Speng.

The intro of the conference video was the best. (When they ran through a bunch of games and footage of people playing).

Zelda = Sold. It looks great.
Mario = Sold. Looks fun.
Red Steel = Sold. Hoping they smooth out the control some.

Excite Truck looks neat.
Day of Disaster, not sure what to make of this one. Seemed to be all FMV. We'll see come TGS I guess.

I will be purchasing a Wii.

I think it's a mistake to "port" the GC version of Zelda. For a flagship launch title, Nintendo should invest every last scrap of effort to make the control scheme "Wii centric" as possible and not simply take the GC version and figure out how to shoe-horn the Wiimote into it.

If they need to have two separately development teams working on different versions that share only art assets than so be it. Zelda *IS* the game that will sell the Wii and you don't want people's first experience on the Wii to be "bleh, it plays the same as the GC version"

DemoCoder said:
Looked underwhelming to me (Zelda). Does it matter how far back you pull on the bow? The guy didn't look like he had to adjust the amount of power.

Well they did mentiion that the speaker outputs the stretching of the bow line. They didn't show much of his actual movements. In fact they only showed the screen instead of the player.

The Red Steel demo didn't show the player moving around as nearly as smooth and accurate as a mouse. I play Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat every single day (and have been playing CS since the alpha days), and I know what accurate and smooth motion looks like. Something seemed too jerky, the targeting cursor jumps and wiggles around, like there is some positioning uncertainity, or the guys arm is just jitterly. Either way, it didn't convince me that Wii can make FPS's work like a mouse does on the PC in terms of accuracy.

You don't move with the wand. You aim with it. You move and look with the nunchuck. Comparing movement to a mouse is pointless. Consoles use controllers not mice.

wco81, I don't understand why you would expect motion sensing of anything but the hand moving the controller? Obviously as we've known from the start the controller senses its own movement, nothing else. So the fact that you can't see your elbow bend when you bend your elbow should not be something to complain about. The game clearly can follow the exact motion of the controller (not just canned animation based on gestures), which is what its supposed to do, so be happy with that :)

Zelda is a Gamecube game. They could just as well have let us play it using a Gamecube controller on Wii. Also, the pointer is used for accessing menus and targetting. It wouldn't be the easiest task in the world to figure out if the player meant to slash, or open up the map, or perhaps they wanted to switch targets... I think the control scheme they have going works well for a Zelda game, and will sell the Wii, regardless of whether you can swing the Wiimote as a sword or not.

I think the depth of sound of the bow and arrow was very cool. You hear the tightening of the bow from your end and when you release the arrow you hear the thump from the tv.:cool:

NANOTEC said:
You don't move with the wand. You aim with it. You move and look with the nunchuck. Comparing movement to a mouse is pointless. Consoles use controllers not mice.

I'm not talking about movement of the player, I'm talking about the movement of the targeting cursor. It clearly showed a jitter/jumping around, as if the positional coordinates that the game receives from the controller have not been smoothed out over many samples. Maybe if you take off your rose colored goggles, you'd see what I mean. Go watch someone playing an FPS and aiming, and then go watch the red steel video.

Comparing the aiming to mouse is NOT pointless. FPS (S = shooter) requires accurate aiming. The bane of console FPSes has been the fact that aiming is slow (analog sticks) and inaccurate compared to mice, hence console FPSes use enemies that are considerably weaker than on the PC, and they implement auto-aim at ridiculous levels.

Go play Battlefield 2 on the PC and then go play it on any console. This is an issue that needs to be solved on consoles, and I was hoping the Wii would prove that a console solution (other than attaching a mouse to the console) would solve it. Apparently not.

Demo, Nintendo could and most certainly are developing a Wii specific Zelda game built from the ground up for the new controller. But obviously that game couldn't be out for launch. Its not a case of either or though, what's happened is that they had Zelda TP ready for GC and instead of releasing it straight away they held back and tweaked it for Wii so they could release a GC and Wii version at the same time at Wii's launch.

I didn't notice any problems in Red Steele, though of course I'll be watching much higher quality videos of it soon so I'll see them. Couldn't the slight wobbling you saw simply be because the guy had to stand up and hold the controller out in front of himself? Having nowhere to rest your hand often leads to a bit of trembling. I'd say the best way to play would be sitting down with the controller resting on your knee.

DemoCoder said:
I'm not talking about movement of the player, I'm talking about the movement of the targeting cursor. It clearly showed a jitter/jumping around, as if the positional coordinates that the game receives from the controller have not been smoothed out over many samples. Maybe if you take off your rose colored goggles, you'd see what I mean. Go watch someone playing an FPS and aiming, and then go watch the red steel video.

Comparing the aiming to mouse is NOT pointless. FPS (S = shooter) requires accurate aiming. The bane of console FPSes has been the fact that aiming is slow (analog sticks) and inaccurate compared to mice, hence console FPSes use enemies that are considerably weaker than on the PC, and they implement auto-aim at ridiculous levels.

Go play Battlefield 2 on the PC and then go play it on any console. This is an issue that needs to be solved on consoles, and I was hoping the Wii would prove that a console solution (other than attaching a mouse to the console) would solve it. Apparently not.

Again POINTLESS comparison. Consoles don't use mice. It's like comparing the jittering of a lightgun to a computer mouse...POINTLESS.

DemoCoder said:

Well, according to GameInformer the remote was too sensitive for the Red Steele. So they had to smoothe the movement by using algorithms. Maybe that's what you're seeing. But keep in mind what we seeing was a 24fps video of the game, so it might be a lot better in reality. Moreover, if you watch IGNs impressions of Red Steele Fran said that the controlls were a tad too sensitive for his taste.
As for comparing it to a mouse, you're kind of missing the point. The Wiimote is not trying to emulate a mouse, but a real gun (a light gun) in that case. Wether you like it or not aiming with a mouse is not realistic, it's just sg you're used to in computer games.

EDIT: This might give you better impression Demo: That's IGN testing Red Steele (first video)
http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/821/821973/vids_1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes teasy, I said it could also be from trying to play without resting your arm. That's why I said I am reserving judgement. Still, Nintendo should have showed it off in the best light. Having the guy stand there, looking *down* at a screen, pointing the Wii at a 45degree angle towards the floor, with his back hunched over is not the best way to demonstrate the comfort and ease of playing Wii games. :)

They should have had a couch on the stage, like Microsoft does at alot of industry shows.

As for emulating a light gun. Just because something is "more like you'd do in real life" (aim a physical gun) doesn't mean it is funner to play FPS's with real guns. Its like saying that a basketball game would be funner if the controller was shaped like a ball and you had to dribble it.

FPSes have never been simulations of what its like to go to the shooting range. They are Hollywood action movies. Totally unrealistic, but never the less, entertaining.

As for comparing it to a mouse, you're kind of missing the point. The Wiimote is not trying to emulate a mouse, but a real gun (a light gun) in that case. Wether you like it or not aiming with a mouse is not realistic, it's just sg you're used to in computer games.

Exactly. I'm thinking maybe we should all go out and attach a R/C to our real cars and drive with a thumbstick that should work pretty well yeah.

NANOTEC said:
Exactly. I'm thinking maybe we should all go out and attach a R/C to our real cars and drive with a thumbstick that should work pretty well yeah.

Fine, then have fun with your "lightgun" emulated games from the 80s and 90s. When I want that, I'll skip the to the arcade and play House of the Dead or SilentScope.

indeed. the mouse use in FPS' is one of my major gripes with this genre - handguns don't handle like that. so skills with a real gun has zero revelance to how good you're with a 'mouse gun', and vice versa. i, too, did notice the slight jitter of the aiming reticle, but i welcome that, though i'd guess many pc FPS players will be pissed off ; )

ps: having said that i'd expect a shouldering gun, i.e. a rifle, to be much steadier. i do hope future wii fps titles get that right.

Averaging samples over time would introduce lag between input and seeing it register on the screen. A capacitor will continuously integrate your signal but will induce a 90 degree phase shift. The more samples you take the smoother the motion you'll create, and the larger the time delay. If you leave it out of the hardware and let the programmers do it, they can decide where to trade off smooth movement for lag, or even implement some prediction, so the cursor might not exactly follow your hand when you move quickly, but it's close enough, then it's precise when you move slowly.

DemoCoder said:
Yes teasy, I said it could also be from trying to play without resting your arm. That's why I said I am reserving judgement. Still, Nintendo should have showed it off in the best light. Having the guy stand there, looking *down* at a screen, pointing the Wii at a 45degree angle towards the floor, with his back hunched over is not the best way to demonstrate the comfort and ease of playing Wii games. :)

Yeah I agree.

darkblu said:
indeed. the mouse use in FPS' is one of my major gripes with this genre - handguns don't handle like that. so skills with a real gud has zero revelance to how good you're with a 'mouse gun', and vice versa. i, too, did notice the slight jitter of the aiming reticle, but i welcome that, though i'd guess many pc FPS players will be pissed off ; )

That reminds me of playing VirtuaCop on the PC with a mouse. That really ruined the game :p

Back