Nintendo press conf. comments

Refreshment said:
Teasy, i didnt see the conference, was the secret revealed or was it just that stupid low fidelity speaker? And IGN wasnt full of crap after all or what? ;)

I don't believe any final secret was mentioned, could be wrong, though the speaker was confirmed. IGN wasn't full of crap about what?, the secret?

They did show some potential uses for two controllers in the promo videos. They will probably release a few games using two controllers sometime down the line.

NANOTEC said:
They did show some potential uses for two controllers in the promo videos. They will probably release a few games using two controllers sometime down the line.
they need to make a Gravely lawn mower simulator. i could play that for hours.

NANOTEC said:

With the Wiimote and the nunchuk having both positional elements I think that game using two remotes will be very scarce. Developers can use the Remote for absolute 3d positioning and use the nunchuk for relative movement to it. So using two remotes would only be useful for games where the postion of both hands needs to be detected absolutely. Moreover, since such games requires two controllers for single player game developers might not like that idea at all.

teasy said:
IGN wasn't full of crap about what?, the secret?

Im sorry, should be more explicit. Was talking about the specs.

Btw, it looks like we wont get detailed (rock solid) specs. Plus that funny quote in the press release about Nintendo still working with ATI. Wich probably means nothing.

hupfinsgack said:
With the Wiimote and the nunchuk having both positional elements I think that game using two remotes will be very scarce. Developers can use the Remote for absolute 3d positioning and use the nunchuk for relative movement to it. So using two remotes would only be useful for games where the postion of both hands needs to be detected absolutely. Moreover, since such games requires two controllers for single player game developers might not like that idea at all.

What about multiplayer games? Split screen? Nintendo does make those you know.

Multiplayer SSBM should be interesting if you aren't going to use 2 controllers, don't you think?

Powderkeg said:
What about multiplayer games? Split screen? Nintendo does make those you know.
Multiplayer SSBM should be interesting if you aren't going to use 2 controllers, don't you think?

You're obviously misreading my comment. Nanotech's proposal would mean 2 controller for single player, 8 controllers for 4 players. I don't think there's enough appeal to the consumer to buy 8 wiiremote just to play a few games that use 2 of them for 1 player.
I've never suggested that Nintendo wouldn't create for 4player games. They will.

Nintendo hasn't said what comes packaged with the Wii console and at this pointg I'm thinking the shell (which looks good), nunchuck, and another FHC will be included as part of their whole inclusion philosphy. The conference itself was impressive, but I felt things could have be done better. I say this because now that direct feeds of games like rs and excitetruck are out and the games look way better (sharpness). Second reason is because from ign and other sites have said the projection screen stretched games out worse than on a normal screen.

Johnny a few posts back you mentioned how you don't think the Wii will be good for fps games or 3rd action titles. Have you not read first impressions about rs or the new metriod prime game. If anything from what gaming media has describe the Wii way of controlling for an fps is easily the best thing they tried and this comes from ign, 1up, and game gamespot. Like democoder I'm a little worried as to how they will work out the kink of sensitivity and aiming in general, but compared to what consoles have now I'm certainly looking forward console fps games again.

Don't expect anything ever on Hollywood, least not officially. Nintendo have said they don't do specs anymore. Specsheets is sooo last-gen.

Do you think the novelty would wear out?

The first tennis game using the controller would be cool. But how about the second or the third? You still left with last-generation graphics right?

If you've seen console games in high-def or PC games in high resolution, can you go back?

Can you go back to the PS1 or N64 games?

wco81 said:
Can you go back to the PS1 or N64 games?
If you can't, then what is the point of Virtual Console on the Wii and being able to emulate PS1 games on PSP?

Also, once you've really interacted with games, will you be able to go back to a standard controller?

OtakingGX said:
If you can't, then what is the point of Virtual Console on the Wii and being able to emulate PS1 games on PSP?

Also, once you've really interacted with games, will you be able to go back to a standard controller?

That's the thing, I personally am not big on retro games. Maybe simple puzzle games where graphics aren't a big deal. But I know they're popular with others so I'm sure the Virtual Console will do well (although, a lot of people have the ROMs of old games already).

Most of the people on this forum are doing most of their gaming on state of the art PCs or at least PS2/Xbox/GC. They're not playing PS1 or N64 games or say the original Doom game. Maybe occasionally but not most of the time. I'm not saying it will be the case but could the Wii graphics end up looking too close to GC graphics, IOW, too last-generation?

As for the new controller, I wonder about the long-term appeal. Sure it's great the first few games. But do you always want to flail your arms about or stand up? I like to sit back on the couch most of the time, not even lean forward.

DemoCoder said:
Looked underwhelming to me (Zelda). Does it matter how far back you pull on the bow? The guy didn't look like he had to adjust the amount of power.

The Red Steel demo didn't show the player moving around as nearly as smooth and accurate as a mouse. I play Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat every single day (and have been playing CS since the alpha days), and I know what accurate and smooth motion looks like. Something seemed too jerky, the targeting cursor jumps and wiggles around, like there is some positioning uncertainity, or the guys arm is just jitterly. Either way, it didn't convince me that Wii can make FPS's work like a mouse does on the PC in terms of accuracy.

The tennis was promising. The highlight of the show.

The aiming seemed jerky? Really, it seemed quite smooth to me, and I was purposefully trying to compare it to older light gun games which actually did have a severe problem with accuracy and jerkiness, yet still it never stopped people from playing them well.

I imagine it's more a case of animation limitations myself. There are a few canned anims for the character and one is selected on motion. Perhaps the processing requirements for IK based animation are too high? Dunno.

An old game from back in the day, called Day by the Sword, allowed sword fighting in any direction using the mouse to control it. Of course, animation was ridiculous, but a more modern system should be able to do better.

If they need to have two separately development teams working on different versions that share only art assets than so be it. Zelda *IS* the game that will sell the Wii and you don't want people's first experience on the Wii to be "bleh, it plays the same as the GC version"

I'm still hoping it will be like the gameboy zelda games, one game that has new features unlocked when played in the newer system.

Nintendo needs to counter the PS3 launch in Japan and they know that is impossible to do with games made in 6 months only. Wii could have been launched the last year but Nintendo delayed it until end of this year for having enough AAA titles for the launch, they don´t want to make the same mistake than Gamecube.

This E3 is only a facade for Nintendo, they are going to show the games made for the first months of the console that are developed in Gamecube with Wiimote before showing the real stuff.

wco81 said:
If you've seen console games in high-def or PC games in high resolution, can you go back?

I did. After playing games that didn't require annoying install processes, sitting through long load times, fiddling with my settings, or updating drivers, I just can't go back. And yeah, I love RR64. I play it all the time. Of course, I just bought it a few weeks ago. :D

As I see it, what keeps things interesting is the novelty of new games, not new ways of rendering water or softening the edges of shadows. Those things are cool the first time you see them (if you're into graphics, anyway), but they really aren't the substance of gaming. I guess the question is do you buy new games so you can see new graphics, or so you can play new games? I'm the latter kind of person. I'm as likely to buy a well-reputed SNES game I've never played as a Cube game if the price is right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still play N64 games like GE and M64 actually in the first the wirst is the controls a the low speed of it).

Anyway I would love a good upgrade in the HW.

That's exactly the point. I still play a lot of DC games because it's darn fun. I'm still hoping for a Virtua Tennis game on wii because SEGA has release a few NAOMI 2 games on GC like Beach Spikers and Virtua Striker. Virtual Tennis is a no-brainer and if SEGA doesn't release it for Wii, they would be making a huge mistake. I mean Nintendo is purposely showing simple graphics for that tennis game demo. I just hope SEGA management gets the hint.

Back