Nintendo press conf. comments

The tennis game is cool. No nuchuck, the running is actually done by the 3d positioning of the remote. Nice.

DemoCoder said:
I am not impressed with the way they are using the controller so far. I mean, a sword thrust in Zelda is the B button? Why don't you get to slash with the controller? The only thing they showed was bumping with your shield using the controller, which could have been done with accelerometers like the DS3.

And why is the Red Steele guy so bad at aiming? Does this bode anything for fast dead-on accuracy aiming (as you can do with the mouse)? He seemed to "over shoot" when moving him arm around until the target "settled".

That's what I noticed. And it doesn't seem like you can only hold it with one hand. You have to hold the mouse or whatever it is on the other end of the cord in your other hand.

Rather than translating your exact motion onto the screen, it just interprets gestures and uses precanned animations. It would be cool if it showed you exact batting swing. Instead you had the girl in the video tapping at the ball and it's blasted for a HR.

No word on price or exact date for launch.

Oh and Mario looked about the same as the GC version, which looked the same as the Mario64 version. Link animated badly when sidestepping to do the sword battles. Metroid looked about the same too. That controller really better take off because otherwise, you might as well stay with the GC (since they're coming out with GC versions of these Wii games).

I really felt this was a compelling presentation. Much more energy and life and spirit than sony's rather 'clinical' presentation. You know what. I actually think nintendo could pull this off. Its a little bit like the story of david and goliath.

Really good stuff. looking forward to see what MS has to offer now.

Wii seems really nice, very exiting yet overall (exeption of RS) gfx are bellow what one would expect from 2-3xGC but if the price matchs....

Looking forward too try it by myself.

DemoCoder said:
I saw plenty of overaiming and what looked like auto-aim. If the controller is so precise, why would you need auto-aim.

Edit: Tennis, finally. I knew it, the only game that really shows the true power of the wiimote.

The auto aim? You mean the targeting where you preselect who to shoot?
Sorry didn't see any auto aim. Zelda didn't have any auto aim either and it look pretty dam precise. Looks as precise as a light gun to me.

DemoCoder said:
Edit: Tennis, finally. I knew it, the only game that really shows the true power of the wiimote.

LOL did you come up with the wiimote. because, thats really quite funny. !

So relieved to see Mario. The presentation was nice and light-hearted, as you might hope for from Nintendo.

But no launch details..? Nothing on virtual console? I was in and out of the room during it, so I may have missed that.

I dunno, I was underwhelmed by the Nintendo conference (also though Sony conference was worst than last years, I wanted to see more of the EyeToy Augmented Reality for example, and other cool demos)

I think MS's conference may be the big winner, since they'll be showing nothing but second gen stuff.

I mean, I saw only one game that showed truly innovative wiimote usage: tennis. I saw one other game that showed semi-innovative usage: Red Steel. They could have did so many other things with the remote. Music instruments. Complex motion gesture recognition (Tai Chi moves anyone,execute kung fu moves?) Games where you have to carve shaves, stack objects, interact with physics using the remote. Hell, Tech Demos of cool features may have been more exciting.

I'm still alittle concerned by what in video appears to be some lag or oversteer. It may not be the controller, it may just be that is hard for people to hold their arm "in the air" and be accurate without resting it on something, just like if I was going to aim with a rifle, I'd prefer to rest it against my shoulder, or kneel or go prone.

I dunno, I reserve judgement until I can see more games and play it in a kiosk.

Titanio said:
So relieved to see Mario. The presentation was nice and light-hearted, as you might hope for from Nintendo.

But no launch details..? Nothing on virtual console? I was in and out of the room during it, so I may have missed that.

Nope, they said theyre holding launch info back other than Q4 2006. No details on games for virtual console either.

They didn't reveal much about those but those were revealed in magazines or online sites. For example a couple dollars for NES, $5 for SNES, and $10 for N64. Also only 1st party TG16 games will be available. They said if demand is high, 3rd party TG16 games will also be available.

Anyway I think it would be nice if SEGA released Virtual Tennis for Wii. That demonstration was cool but the game graphics is over simplified. I mean VT on DC looks miles better.

A lot of ugly games (although mario looked good)... some of them looked fun at least.

No smash bros, which is disappointing (no smash = no deal!).

Conference was more or less a circus show without much real information... it was entertaining though!

Anyway, for those at E3 there'll plenty of Wii games (27) to put the controller through a good test. Soon the first impressions will roll in.

NANOTEC said:
Anyway I think it would be nice if SEGA released Virtual Tennis for Wii. That demonstration was cool but the game graphics is over simplified. I mean VT on DC looks miles better.

Lets hope for

wco81 said:
That's what I noticed. And it doesn't seem like you can only hold it with one hand. You have to hold the mouse or whatever it is on the other end of the cord in your other hand.

No you don't, your talking about the analog stick attachment and obviously, being an attachment, it can be disconnected. The first use shown for the controller was Iwata conducting an ochestra using the main controller and nothing else, and there was numerous games showing single handed control. I find it really hard to believe that you missed all of that..

Rather than translating your exact motion onto the screen, it just interprets gestures and uses precanned animations. It would be cool if it showed you exact batting swing. Instead you had the girl in the video tapping at the ball and it's blasted for a HR.

It sounds like you either only watched select parts of the conference or your just scratching around for bad things to say, no matter how innacurate. Example, in Red Steele the gun follows your hand exactly, the guns tillt is even determinded by how your hand is tilted.

Oh and Mario looked about the same as the GC version, which looked the same as the Mario64 version. Link animated badly when sidestepping to do the sword battles. Metroid looked about the same too. That controller really better take off because otherwise, you might as well stay with the GC (since they're coming out with GC versions of these Wii games).

Mario Sunshine looked the same as Mario 64?, ok now your just being silly. Mario Sunshine was a generation ahead of Mario 64 graphically, and to be honest that's as good as Mario needs to look, he doesn't need bump mapping and HDR thanks..

Its amazing how you can list everything bad you saw, even things that aren't true, without finding a single good thing to say.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its amazing how you can list everything bad you saw, even things that aren't true, without finding a single good thing to say, Basically your post reads like your trying to find any flaw you can no matter how innacurate.

It was a stealth troll attempt.;)

Oh and Zelda demonstrated a lot of different actions using both controllers.

I missed the tennis. That's good that it's detachable.

As far as translating your exact motion, I'm guessing the technology/cost isn't there. You would probably need motion capture with several sampling points over your body. It's not meant as a knock against the Wii. Sony's controller probably won't do it either. Maybe the EyeToy might track your arms and torso better but as far as rendering those motions in real time to CG as opposed to just overlaying a video of it, that probably can't be done economically.

Yeah the Mario style is simple. Lets just say the possibilities for graphic enhancement is more limited than in other kinds of games. Maybe it was very early but you have to admit Link moved really badly compared to say the HS chick.

Remember the EA demo of NBA live about footplant? The sense of weight being shifted as you moved your feet around while the current generation version seemed weightless, gliding around? That's what Link's movement looked like.

Looked underwhelming to me (Zelda). Does it matter how far back you pull on the bow? The guy didn't look like he had to adjust the amount of power.

The Red Steel demo didn't show the player moving around as nearly as smooth and accurate as a mouse. I play Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat every single day (and have been playing CS since the alpha days), and I know what accurate and smooth motion looks like. Something seemed too jerky, the targeting cursor jumps and wiggles around, like there is some positioning uncertainity, or the guys arm is just jitterly. Either way, it didn't convince me that Wii can make FPS's work like a mouse does on the PC in terms of accuracy.

The tennis was promising. The highlight of the show.

There's no sword swinging with the remote in Zelda, but I think that's to keep things simple and playable on Gamecube. You do get to knock guys with your shield, however, using the motion sensitivity of the nunchuck.

I think developers will shy away from exact motion. Otherwise you'll see every little tremble of your hand on the screen. The sword fighting in Red Steel, however, looks to follow your motions pretty precisely. The guy playing on the live feed didn't make it look very fluid, but IGN's video of the game looks a lot better.

What I really want to see more of is Disaster: Day of Crisis. I can't tell if those visuals were all supposed to be pre-rendered or real time. It looks pretty good though.

Back