Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
That'd be served by a rectangular screen. Adding screen around the thumbsticks that's mostly occluded by the thumbs and fingers is a waste of money, no matter how fancy it looks.

I disagree. The area around the analogs may not be very useful to render the game, but you can design pretty much anything as input in that area: smaller buttons, larger buttons, sliders, switches, etc.

Tap screens aren't the same as physical controls.
They're not. But what if that haptic feedback screen tech works well enough?

I also don't see triggers.
I think the triggers are there. Look at the area around the top-right bottom of the post-it.

i don't know if it's real but i find this concept interesting. real sticks is the thing that i miss the most on a phone when playing games.
And they could do the same thing as in emulators, where you can choose the size of the game screen, size of the buttons, and their placement, choose full screen with buttons overlay, with desired transparency etc...

http://gamerant.com/nintendo-nx-controller-rumor/

http://dualpixels.com/2016/03/17/dual-pixels-exclusive-nintendo-nx-controller-leaked-photos/
nintendo-touch-screen-controller-patent.jpg

12064009_978081292227960_1225773436_n.jpg

Hmmmmm

Dont you need a working prototype to be granted a patent? In that case, this provea nothing but that the patent existed, which was never doubted.

Not sure how i feel about that leak,having the screen wrap around the thumbsticks... it is certainly unique looking though and hasn't been done before.

Thing is if their moving away from dual screens i think it's going to be next to impossible for them to support 3ds games on that,goodbye backwards compatibility!

I wonder what the resolution on that thing is,must be really obscure

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont you need a working prototype to be granted a patent? In that case, this provea nothing but that the patent existed, which was never doubted.
What we had no idea of was that some tine ago there was an actual patent. Either it is the real deal or someone faked the older rumor

Think this is for real folks
Surely not, I hope.

That's quite possibly the worst ever controller I've seen in my entire life - which includes the original Atari Jaguar and Xbox "duke" controllers by the way, so there's some tough competition for the spot...

The more I contemplate this controller, the more stupid it strikes me. Ergonomics look poop. With buttons right next to the thumbsticks, the thumbsticks will have to be very short to enable easy access to the buttons when you have to reach over the stick, meaning weak sticks. And if they're as tall as normal sticks, they'll get very much in the way of the face buttons. There's a reason none of the other controllers include a thumb stick surrounded by four face buttons.

Then the screen itself is going to be a battery hog to provide visual content on something you're mostly not looking at. DS4 already has pretty pants battery life. Imagine the same controller powering a large display all the time.

If the touch screen is really warranted (and it might not be a bad idea itself), I'd suggest a far cheaper mobile display in the centre of a conventional controller layout, that powers on when required - games can use it for notification and contextual input, or the player can tap it to activate to bring up inventory etc. I see zero value to the sticks-on-screen idea for anything other than a handheld, where you're looking at the screen and can use the periphery for UI elements without detracting from the game. This thing doesn't look like a handheld gaming console though!

If the touch screen is really warranted (and it might not be a bad idea itself), I'd suggest a far cheaper mobile display in the centre of a conventional controller layout, that powers on when required - games can use it for notification and contextual input, or the player can tap it to activate to bring up inventory etc. I see zero value to the sticks-on-screen idea for anything other than a handheld, where you're looking at the screen and can use the periphery for UI elements without detracting from the game. This thing doesn't look like a handheld gaming console though!

So you suggest the Wii U controller ;)

lol at the shape, as if that was the key aspect of the design that caused the wii u to fail. having the entire screen visible at all times with both hands on the controller you would think would be implicitly superior to having the screen occluded by your own thumbs, even a small part.

touch screens arent novel or interesting anymore. theyre literally doubling down on failure.

The sticks remind me of the Neogeo pocket, which I was rather fond of.

The right stick acting as the A button and other less essential buttons being NESW of it might work better than phone buttons would suggest.

I think the right stick will be a good A button. If you can't jump well in a Nintendo game then they have well and truly lost it. :)

@Shifty Geezer Think there's more to the thumb sticks than first meets the eye,on screen buttons aren't THAT bad,the worst thing about touch screeen controls are the movements,which the dual sticks cater for.

I personally thought the vita was way too bulky and this seems alot more egornamic imo.

I agree with you on Vita and this does look more ergonomic but until we pick one up and hold it, it's hard to tell. When I first saw the original PlayStation controller I thought it looked mental but it was surprisingly comfortable to hold. Plus bulk lets you put more battery in there. What is the battery life on something like this because based on the Wii U pad, I have no faith that Nintendo will use good batteries.

on screen buttons aren't THAT bad
You're right; on-screen buttons are even worse than that.

There's no tactile feedback - either when pressing the button, or when feeling for it. You can't even relibably tell if your button press was registered properly or not, and as we all probably have noticed, capacitive screens are not 100% accurate in detecting touch.

You also can't rest your finger on an on-screen, capacitive button without pressing it, so ergonomics is shit. And putting on-screen buttons right next to the sticks might mean the stick obscures the button, or you might risk erroneous button/stick input when moving your thumbs to and from the sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back