Nintendo 3DS business/general talk *spin-off feat. 3DS as a P.I. in New Orleans

Next Nintendo Direct Scheduled For Tomorrow
http://andriasang.com/con01d/nintendo_direct_feb/

Nintendo will host the third installment of its Nintendo Direct information broadcasts tomorrow. CEO Satoru Iwata will once again appear in a pre-recorded video and will present the latest news about Wii and Nintendo 3DS.

To watch the broadcast, tune in to the Nintendo Direct page tomorrow at 20:00. The page will have links to Ustream and Nico Nico Video.

It should be around 3:00am PST tonight (Feb 22).

EDIT: Okay, that's the Japanese version.

More details for EU and US here:
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/2...t-presentations-to-reveal-new-info-this-week/

Additionally, while they skipped the last one, Nintendo of America will be doing their own Nintendo Direct presentation to coincide with the Japanese version. NOA’s presentation will take place on February 22nd at 6AM PST and 9AM EST, and you’ll be able to watch it here.

Finally, Nintendo of Europe will have their own Nintendo Direct presentation at 1PM CET.

Should be interesting to see how they counter Vita.

Always happy to see developers collaborate...

Capcom, Namco and Sega teaming up for mysterious 3DS collaboration
http://andriasang.com/con028/sega_capcom_bannam/

The biggest surprise from today's Nintendo Direct broadcast involves everyone except Nintendo. Capcom, Namco Bandai and Sega are teaming up for a crossover 3DS project of some form.

Nintendo showed a teaser trailer for the project during the broadcast. Namco Bandai, the game's publisher, also opened a teaser site which assures us that we won't be able to predict the identity of the game.

Is it really a game announcement or a platform ? ^_^

All 4 of them seems to lack major network presence. Would be superb if they can give us a fresh Japanese take on online gaming.

Nintendo 3DS celebrates first birthday, sells 4.5 million consoles in the US
http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/06/3ds-sales-figures/

Nintendo of America has lifted the lid on how many 3DS handhelds were purchased in the first twelve months of life in the US of A. 4.5 million of the devices have been taken home since March 27th of last year, surpassing the 2.3 million classic DS units sold between 2004 - 2005. Whilst the company's playing coy with how many units were sold worldwide, given that the Japanese arm of the company recently passed the five million mark, we can reasonably expect Ninty Nintendo's outlook to be healthier than it has been for a while.

btw is the regoin locking in 3DS is a good business?

it inconvinience for gamer that traver cross country, and for those that live in unsupported country confused to choose what region to get. Buy the ASIA then i cant play a lot of games that never come to ASIA or late to ASIA.

buy US, then i wont be able to play quirky JP games that sometime released in ASIA

but Sony also using region lock in PS VITA.. is region lock really bring goodness to business?

^^ but changing the region need to format the device. Its not like in PS3 or PSP where can simply login-logout to different account region.

It will reset the device to factory default but it won't (re)format the memory card if you choose not to do so. Your game saves and regional DLCs should be intact.

For games on the cartridge, you can play them on any region hardware. It's the game saves, DLCs, trophies that are tied to the regional PSN account.

It may not be hardware region locked, but it's kinda software region locked. Basically, you can't just put in a game from any region and play it, which means it has a form of locking of the region. ;)

You can play Vita games from any region. The PSN account lock doesn't prevent it.

I intend to buy a few Japanese games in the coming months.

but why they decide to use any kind of region locks?
its not for preventing piracy right? as i see it as a consumer, its only for consumer's inconvinience.

but they choose to use region lock in one shaper or something.

is there a ny bussiness advantage/incentive for them?

You mean the Vita account lock ?

Probably to prevent digital distribution from cannibalizing early B&M sales completely. Some Asia PS3/PSP/Vita games support English language. On Vita, it's very easy to buy games (like iOS !). The retailers may have spoken with Sony at-length. This is just my guess though.

Regardless, it is possible to buy and play games from any country on Vita. It takes more work, but doable.

thanks, so thats for vita, how about for 3ds?

is it just for preventing game from cheaper region being exported to another region with higher prices?
is the benefit for gamer able to import games from everywhere like NDS is not good enough to increase game sales?

I don't know how the import sales numbers match up. Typically, region lock prevents channel conflict between continents and countries (e.g., parallel imports).

You mean the Vita account lock ?

Probably to prevent digital distribution from cannibalizing early B&M sales completely. Some Asia PS3/PSP/Vita games support English language. On Vita, it's very easy to buy games (like iOS !). The retailers may have spoken with Sony at-length. This is just my guess though.

Regardless, it is possible to buy and play games from any country on Vita. It takes more work, but doable.

And stuff that isn't region locked is actually quite easy and you won't need to reset your Vita - you just set up a foreign account on PS3 or PC and use that to buy stuff, then content manage it over to your PC, apparently. Skyghene22 on youtube has some videos on it. Personally I'm not interested in that yet, perfectly happy so far with what we're getting. I've imported games for PSP back in the day, but I've decided a long while ago that this is just annoying - there are too many hidden risks there with DLC and patches not working, online gaming regions and what not.

At the bottom of the page:

I guess it's kind of a big fail that they're losing money on a console as weak as the 3DS by selling it for 170€.
Lose the infra-red, get a larger battery, second analog stick and I may think of buying the console IF the game line-up is half-decent.

at first i misread that as "portability" instead of "profitability" and got smile on my face thinking 3DS Lite is coming :(

btw if there is 3DS lite with second analog stick, i hope the games not exclusively use them and still allow touchscreen-aim.

im completely clueless when aiming using analog stick.

Heads up for a new 3DS being shown today.

Nikkei's initial report said that it would have large screens (4.3"), but then Nintendo issued a statement claiming that report was full of mistakes - though they didn't deniy the appearance of a new form factor for the 3DS.

I'm still crossing fingers for:
1 - Second analog stick
2 - Larger battery
3 - Smaller form factor or larger screen
4 (the long shot, not going to happen) - improved hardware that enables higher-quality graphics and better Wii U interaction. Something like the 3DSi.

It needs a larger screen, which will make room for a better battery and a 2nd analog. Not sure they'll show it today, though, they claim that 3DS is barely even going to be mentioned with Wii U software being the focus.

sb0uuv.jpg

3DS XL:
- it's larger (huge)
- has larger screens
- better battery life
- NO SECOND ANALOG

Wtf Nintendo? They don't seem to get a single one right, these days.

Back