NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some features are more important than others. Consistent always on voice-chat and partying needs to be uniform, but video capture could be optional.

Voice chat would need to be handled by the OS if the OS is also going to do voice recognition, etc., a la Kinect, I expect. In any event, the more services provided for in the OS design, the better the system should work.

Voice chat would need to be handled by the OS if the OS is also going to do voice recognition, etc., a la Kinect, I expect. In any event, the more services provided for in the OS design, the better the system should work.

Yes, either the OS or the servers should do the job, but allow the developers to roll their own, or turn the default services off where it makes sense.

Some features are more important than others. Consistent always on voice-chat and partying needs to be uniform, but video capture could be optional.

In the era of social media and youtubing, I have a feeling that video capture is much higher on the list for MS and Sony than most of us could conceive. From an implementation POV, it's also relatively cheap and a rather large bullet point for more casual gamers.

More console gamers probably know about Youtube than know about how relatively powerful their console really is. Or whether X game looks better on Y console or Z console.

IMO, video capture and upload will be a key feature for both consoles. Whoever doesn't implement a universal approach to it will likely be left behind.

Regards,
SB

In the era of social media and youtubing, I have a feeling that video capture is much higher on the list for MS and Sony than most of us could conceive. From an implementation POV, it's also relatively cheap and a rather large bullet point for more casual gamers.

More console gamers probably know about Youtube than know about how relatively powerful their console really is. Or whether X game looks better on Y console or Z console.

IMO, video capture and upload will be a key feature for both consoles. Whoever doesn't implement a universal approach to it will likely be left behind.

Regards,
SB

I'm expecting Skydrive to be used on the Xbox to share videos and photos with your friends. Makes sense for Microsoft to leverage their already existing services on the console. No reason to reinvent the wheel, and they can use the xbox brand to strengthen the others.

Microsoft already has somewhat of a sharing site in place for Kinect, it's called Kinectshare. The current version in most games leaves it up to the game developer to decide when to capture pictures or videos to share (for example: Kinect Adventures). However some other games leave it up to the user to record their own explicit clips where they're controlling the action. So far it's only Kinect-specific titles that implement this.

Yeah, Youtube video capture and upload already shipped in a few current gen games, including multi-platform ones. Nextgen should have 3D Youtube capture. Sony announced 3D Youtube support about 1-2 years ago. They better follow up, coz I haven't forgotten yet. ;-)

Still... if heavy weight developers like Polyphony, NaughtyDog, MediaMolecule, DICE, and Rockstar want the computing resources back, by all means !

This. I care not for this type of thing but have plenty of gaming friends who will love this. The Edge article's source said "no processing penalty", which albeit vague, I think likely means there is little-to-no overhead on system performance. That is, disabling this wouldn't save significant resources. It's simply absorbed in whatever hardware/software overhead Sony are reserving for the OS.

From Tech Report's 7970 Review about the new VCE:

More exciting is a first for discrete desktop GPUs: a hardware video encoder. Since UVD refers explicitly to decoding, AMD has cooked up a new acronym for the encoder, VCE or Video Codec Engine. Like the QuickSync feature of Intel's Sandy Bridge processors (and probably the SoC driving the smart phone in your pocket), VCE can encode videos using H.264 compression with full, custom hardware acceleration. We're talking about hardware purpose-built to encode H.264, not just an encoder that does its calculations on the chip's shader array. As usual, the main advantages of custom logic are higher performance and lower power consumption. Tahiti's encode logic looks to be quite nice, with the ability to encode 1080p videos at 60 frames per second, at least twice the rate of the most widely used formats. The VCE hardware supports multiple compression and quality levels, and it can multiplex inputs from various sources for the audio and video tracks to be encoded. Interestingly, the video card's frame buffer can act as an input source, allowing for a hardware-accelerated HD video capture of a gaming session.

Both Durango and Orbis appear to contain the VCE, so I'd expect game capture to have minimal overhead.

almost every single theory of durango having amazing special sauce is being shot down, most likely ps4 will have a significant advantage in power, you can blame to the wii success on that, Microsoft changed there strategy of making super powerful consoles to grab gamer's, to lets make a console better suited for app and the os, sure it will be a nice jump in power but really made some huge sacrifices for the os, very disappointing and it's been too long of a generation for such a small jump.

Well i would disagree personally. Orbis is shaping up to look the most powerful(especially if they can get that rumored increase in ram). And i'll have it for that.

But i'd personally say that if this is the console Microsoft probably would have released 3 years ago anyway had this been a normal gen, we should accept it.

If they are going with lesser components, i hold out hope that we see normalized console cycles again. I'd take a medium sized jump in power every 5 years in comparison to a huge jump in power every 8 years.

Last gen took its toll on the industry more than expected.

Also, you can't sit there and say straight faced that the Durango is anything like a Wii in terms of the power increase. We're talking about 10x the ram, 5x the GPU power on paper, like 8x the power in real world, and a CPU that far more efficient than Xenon core for core.

Everything we know about Microsoft is basically been that they have wanted to take over the living room, and this is their dream coming to fruition. Games are a part of that, but they did not enter the gaming market simply to focus on games. This has obviously started to impact their implementation after J allard and a lot of other guys left the fold, but i'd say it was fine as long as they don't go a Wii route.

I swear only Nintendo could get away with that.

Well i would disagree personally. Orbis is shaping up to look the most powerful(especially if they can get that rumored increase in ram). And i'll have it for that.

But i'd personally say that if this is the console Microsoft probably would have released 3 years ago anyway had this been a normal gen, we should accept it.

If they are going with lesser components, i hold out hope that we see normalized console cycles again. I'd take a medium sized jump in power every 5 years in comparison to a huge jump in power every 8 years.

Last gen took its toll on the industry more than expected.

Also, you can't sit there and say straight faced that the Durango is anything like a Wii in terms of the power increase. We're talking about 10x the ram, 5x the GPU power on paper, like 8x the power in real world, and a CPU that far more efficient than Xenon core for core.

Everything we know about Microsoft is basically been that they have wanted to take over the living room, and this is their dream coming to fruition. Games are a part of that, but they did not enter the gaming market simply to focus on games. This has obviously started to impact their implementation after J allard and a lot of other guys left the fold, but i'd say it was fine as long as they don't go a Wii route.

I swear only Nintendo could get away with that.

I'm very happy with the orbis specs, if duango is 8x then that's great, i thought it was like 5x.

That's only if you were talking about power increases scaling linearly to Orbis and Durango's GPU's from Xenos and RSX. Someone much more knowledgeable than i could probably say it better, but just because 360/PS3 both have 250glop GPU's, it doesn't mean that if your using a 1200+ GPU in a next gen console, its only 5x the performance.

The GPU architectures themselves have been reinvented many times since 2005(8 years might i add) and they've gotten much more efficient flop per flop since that time, so the actual output in practice is going to be much bigger than just looking at the flop multiples. This goes for both Durango and Orbis.

Full throated HSA will also help both consoles to do things that are not possible in set ups without that configuration. AMD is betting the farm on heterogeneous architectures, and Orbis and Durango will be the first real world test experiments of that labor.

Last edited by a moderator:
almost every single theory of durango having amazing special sauce is being shot down, most likely ps4 will have a significant advantage in power

the same rumor that say the ps4 have a gpu with 50% more CU's says that durango have special sauce, how do you deal with this?

That's only if you were talking about power increases scaling linearly to Orbis and Durango's GPU's from Xenos and RSX. Someone much more knowledgeable than i could probably say it better, but just because 360/PS3 both have 250glop GPU's, it doesn't mean that if your using a 1200+ GPU in a next gen console, its only 5x the performance.

The GPU architectures themselves have been reinvented many times since 2005(8 years might i add) and they've gotten much more efficient flop per flop since that time, so the actual output in practice is going to be much bigger than just looking at the flop multiples. This goes for both Durango and Orbis.

I don't know man a 1.2 gpu and DDR3, is very disappointing, what kind of graphic cards these DAYS ship with DDR3. Microsoft looked at wii and said we don't need a huge jump in power, just a decent jump.

Last edited by a moderator:
the same rumor that say the ps4 have a gpu with 50% more CU's says that durango have special sauce, how do you deal with this?

yea i read this rumor, but the fact nobody has even come close to explaining it, with all these leaks, just makes me think it's wishful thinking, anything could happen, but i'm really starting to think it's BS.

I'm very happy with the orbis specs, if duango is 8x then that's great, i thought it was like 5x.

Who says that this leaked Specs from both Consoles are real? I really dont understand why people say "yep, this specs are real so we dont need official confirmation" :rolleyes:

Now that is a good point,but i don't think it was then same source,in fact the one who claim 50% more CU also claim the PS4 has special sauce as well if i am not mistaken.

Is useless if some one try artificially rise the spec on Durango to make it look more on par with Orbis,at the end everything will be know.

Hell thinking about it i think is even the reason why sony is say to reveal the PS4 a few weeks from now,maybe they know their hardware is more powerful and want to actually show something to deflate MS when it show something.

Is very weird that sony is showing the PS4 on February instead of E3.

My guess would be non knew what the other was doing,sony choose hardware a bit more powerful,MS choose to build its console around kinect both are valid strategies.

MS can afford a powerful console more than sony,i just think they decide to drop power in favor of features and kinect.

I'm suspicious that all the "Orbis slighty better than Durango" comments are simply coming from 3rd party devs whose games are being developed for Durango as the lead platform, given those devkits were availble for much longer. Given this, I would expect this to be the case, as by deploying a build of their game on Orbis hw they will effectively just be getting slightly better performance as the code isn't really pushing the HW resources available.

It's also possible that given the alleged devkits for Durango, and rumoured delays in final silicon production, that devs are still working on the rumoured hexacore Intel Xeon CPU, 1.5-2TFLOPS GPUs in the alpha devkits for Durango. There's a change that the final silicon won't actually givne them the same performance they are currently seeing.

Again these are possible cases based on the rumours. The point being that there could be a million and one reasons for the discrepancy between what is expected due to the rumoured specs, and what is being seen with the current devkit HW specs.

I mean there's also a possibility (as slim as I personally believe it to be), that Durango really does have some super secret wizard sauce in its design that closes the performance gap almost entirely. At this point really anything is possible *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back