NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Edge piece in which devs claim PS4 is "slightly" more powerful, and says they are going for 8GB RAM.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/

While I'm sure some will love to believe that, I dont see how. They'd either need a total rearchitecting for ddr3/durango-esque or what, stacked DDR4 or some nonsense that wont happen (but will be seized on likely by many, ahem special sauce)

We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

Both platforms are driven by eight-core AMD CPUs clocked at 1.6GHz, with Microsoft opting for a D3D11.x GPU from an unknown source and Sony utilising a more capable solution in AMD’s ‘R10XX’ architecture, alongside the so-called ‘Liverpool’ system-on-chip.

It’s clear Sony has designed a system that, on paper, outperforms Microsoft’s next Xbox. One source familiar with both platforms tells us that in real terms Sony’s console is “slightly more powerful” and “very simple to work with”.

Ultimately, the performance differences between the two consoles will have as much bearing on multiplatform releases as the differences between PS3 and 360 – very little – but Sony will be expecting big-budget firstparty releases such as the PS4 Uncharted sequel to demonstrate its console’s superiority.

Now, 50% more flops isnt in line with "slightly", so either special sauce is real, 4 CU's are indeed out of the rendering game on PS4, or some of both, it would seem.

I will take a "slightly less powerful" console with gobs more RAM and take my chances anyday...

While I'm sure some will love to believe that, I dont see how. They'd either need a total rearchitecting for ddr3/durango-esque or what, stacked DDR4 or some nonsense that wont happen (but will be seized on likely by many, ahem special sauce)

Didn't I tell you my sauce said *perhaps* not GDDR5 ? Teriyaki ftw.

Didn't I tell you my sauce said *perhaps* not GDDR5 ? Teriyaki ftw.

Options are slim. They're gonna need EDRAM to use DDR3. Not possible unless years in the works.

As they're saying on GAF, they most likely worded it carefully to mean the 4GB will match the 8GB in capability due to it's greater bandwidth, yadda yadda. And that it's probably referring to the jump from 2GB to 4GB that already happened.

I just realized the article also says MS GPU is from "an unknown source", rather than AMD. Further kind of a tell that the article may not be very insider based. Which I guess can then throw the "PS4 (only) slightly more powerful" stuff into question for that matter.

The bs'ing just really doesn't stop in this thread...

The 20th cannot come any sooner... please just announce specs so people stop with this crap....

The bs'ing just really doesn't stop in this thread...

The 20th cannot come any sooner... please just announce specs so people stop with this crap....

It's impossible to fight with imaginary or unconfirmed specs. They may have little incentive to reveal first except for some high level indicators. There should be plenty to talk about anyway.

I believe there will be a lot to talk about too. I just want concrete info, no determining what the RAM or GPU is or why, just plain info without any sauces or wet dream juice...

IIRC they talked a whole ton about Vita specs when it was announced in the last Playstation Meeting. From Wiki:
The device, then known by its codename Next Generation Portable (NGP for short), was announced on January 27, 2011 at the "PlayStation Meeting" in Japan by Sony Computer Entertainment president Kazuo Hirai.[38] The last time the name "PlayStation Meeting" had been used was in 2005 where Sony outlined the launch plans for the PlayStation 3.[39] In addition, MCV claimed that Sony has told publishers that the device would be "as powerful as the PlayStation 3". Sony later denied this, with the SCEA platform research manager stating "Well, it's not going to run at 2 GHz because the battery would last five minutes and it would probably set fire to your pants".[40] Sony also revealed that the device would be using a mix of retail and digital distribution of games and that Sony would gradually reveal more details during Game Developers Conference 2011 and E3 2011.[25]
[edit]

GDC will then be coming up and I think that's the next place we will get a lot of concrete info.

I believe there will be a lot to talk about too. I just want concrete info, no determining what the RAM or GPU is or why, just plain info without any sauces or wet dream juice...

IIRC they talked a whole ton about Vita specs when it was announced in the last Playstation Meeting. From Wiki:

GDC will then be coming up and I think that's the next place we will get a lot of concrete info.

Yes, they did.

They revealed:
ARM Cortex A9 quad core @1 GHz with 1 core reserved for OS.
512 GB RAM
128 MB VRAM
SGX 543MP4+

Last edited by a moderator:

If you are Sony, fighting Nintendo, would you not release your specs early to score points ?
It may be more tricky to fight Microsoft, Google and Apple.

Aaaaaand WideIO stacking is back in the game. 8GB with GDDR5? Never ever...

I'm very disappointed with the controller though. No touchscreen? No all-in-one Move-Dualshock? No biometric sensors?

On the subject of GDDR5 and DDR3 and if Sony is actually upping from 8GB to 4GB

Does anybody have any approximate BOM prices for GDDR5 and DDR3 memory?

That might give us a better idea if Sony might actually surprise us.

I'm very disappointed with the controller though. No touchscreen? No all-in-one Move-Dualshock? No biometric sensors?

Interesting, my reaction is completely the opposite. The controller sounds great to me as I don't think there's anything wrong with traditional controllers that really warrants a whole revolution/redesign. Incremental changes like this can be really good.

The more I hear about PS4 the more I like it.

EDGE says this about the PS4 "new DualShock"

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

Interesting, my reaction is completely the opposite. The controller sounds great to me as I don't think there's anything wrong with traditional controllers that really warrants a whole revolution/redesign. Incremental changes like this can be really good.

The more I hear about PS4 the more I like it.

Completely agree.

EDGE says this about the PS4 "new DualShock"

Perfect.

I don't care for changes. Games are made to be played with KB/M and controller pads.

No need to reinvent the wheel. Just build on what we have and make it better.

I "love" what the press is gonna say when people start livecasting really violent games - especially if some crazed gunman does this before going on a shooting spree.

Sounds like a risky feature to include, for a bunch of reasons, if this is true. Also, seems like a bit of a left turn kind of feature - where's the widespread demand for it? Seems like an idea looking for a problem to fix kind of feature, rather like Home was. Throw it out there, hope it takes off somehow; ride the social media hypewave, something like that.

maybe this is why 4 CU are left out, they will encode in realtime and never stopping

for me it's a waste of resources

I think this would be a good opportunity for some hardware encoding, although there could possibly be some CU involvement.

One thing to note, when comparing the 14+4 rumor and the Microsoft patents that might have been the source of some of the net rumors for Durango, is that both mention the same basic idea where there is either a physical or software partitioning of resources in order to maintain quality of service and latency limits.
The reserved resources are either system reserved or accessible only through an API that makes the system the gatekeeper and arbiter.
Basically, developers are allowed more freedom with their application-accessible resources, but the system reserves enough resources or reserves the right to override request priority to keep software from taking the rest of the functionality down with it.

I do see that a touchpad works fine for those center buttons, which don't need rapid response or tactile feedback.
Imagine if there were an e-ink costomizable button screen there. Power would be minimal, and there wouldn't be a demand for interactive updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back