Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right I forgot, I keep imagining scenarios where it's not true. Maybe he was joking? Joking got him in trouble? He got caught hacking the brazilian patent office?

That's one serious joke to get their PS4 designer to be included on the patent. I'm almost certain the PS5 SDK design is going to have some influential cues on the consumer PS5. I pray not...

That's one serious joke to get their PS4 designer to be included on the patent. I'm almost certain the PS5 SDK design is going to have some influential cues on the consumer PS5. I pray not...
I don't mind as long as each of the vent have a good reason for it. Ootori have the reputation of designing around necessary mechanical requirements. The only artistic addition to the ps4 was to slant the front to make it less blocky. Otherwise it would have been a black pizza box. (which would have been fine!)

But... this one is going to look like the front of a car. They can make it the GT7 special edition.

I don't mind as long as each of the vent have a good reason for it. Ootori have the reputation of designing around necessary mechanical requirements. The only artistic addition to the ps4 was to slant the front to make it less blocky. Otherwise it would have been a black pizza box. (which would have been fine!)

But... this one is going to look like the front of a car. They can make it the GT7 special edition.
I think the slant has also a small functional purpose. It ensures more space is allocated at the back of the PS4 for a slightly better air venting.

I think the slant has also a small functional purpose. It ensures more space is allocated at the back of the PS4 for a slightly better air venting.
The back slant was required, I think the front was pretty much because they can, or otherwise a flat front would have made it the same depth anyway (but would look deeper). They did save money on the large PSU, it coud have been smaller for more money just looking at available Delta OEM PSUs designs. Everything about it is designed to a price point, same for the pro.

I had never considered this. Interesting. It still enforces/requires a deeper front-to-back profile which is bad if space is tight (like my media centre) and where had it been a basic flat box on all sides, I would have pulled it forward to have more space at the back.

I had never considered this. Interesting. It still enforces/requires a deeper front-to-back profile which is bad if space is tight (like my media centre) and where had it been a basic flat box on all sides, I would have pulled it forward to have more space at the back.
We'll see if they listen to the complaints about the depth, also it requires enough space behind to avoid the hot air looping back into the sides. It doesn't work well in a rack with closed sides either. This is one theory why some have a silent console and others don't (some mention thermal paste, and irregular heatsink surface, but it's not a design flaw, it's a supplier quality control issue). All my consoles are in a rack encouraging front-to-back airflow for the whole stack. They can't please everyone I guess, I wouldn't mind having the inlet clearly from the front instead of the sides. But then it's a problem for those with an equipment rack with a glass door.

They can't please everyone I guess, I wouldn't mind having the inlet clearly from the front instead of the sides. But then it's a problem for those with an equipment rack with a glass door.

Wait until sony buys my soon to be patented sketch for a console made of wet clay.... I'm gonna be rich!

I'm almost certain the PS5 SDK design is going to have some influential cues on the consumer PS5. I pray not...
https://www.fraghero.com/this-is-how-different-console-dev-kits-look/

ps4devkit.jpg

PS4 is interesting because there's clearly industrial design involved but it has zero parallels with PS4.

Here's XBOX

Project-Scorpio.jpg

I don't see much reason to think devkit design will resonate with the console's design. Seems devkits are either nigh identical or pretty different, verging towards utilitarian. PS5SDK could either be some interns given an industrial design project, or something specific about the SDK cooling that won't feature on PS5.

https://www.fraghero.com/this-is-how-different-console-dev-kits-look/

ps4devkit.jpg

PS4 is interesting because there's clearly industrial design involved but it has zero parallels with PS4.

Here's XBOX

Project-Scorpio.jpg

I don't see much reason to think devkit design will resonate with the console's design. Seems devkits are either nigh identical or pretty different, verging towards utilitarian. PS5SDK could either be some interns given an industrial design project, or something specific about the SDK cooling that won't feature on PS5.

236033870_17e1a03326_z.jpg

Consumer PS2 and PS2 SDK.

And your Xbox SDK is actually the Xbox One X SDK (similar cues towards the consumer X pictured).
1509120703_img_2810_story.jpg

Last edited:
I think there might be elements of the devkit showing up in the final console.

Sure, some devkits looked nothing like the console (ps3, ps4, ps4p), but those had little design effort in them, it was traditional industrial work, a case with an aluminum faceplate, simple vents and a straightforward airflow. Proven designs you do with cheatsheets and rule of thumb with lots of margins.

What we see here have a lot of things that takes a huge amount of work to simulate and figure out the molding and assembly. That wouldn't be done for just a devkit.

Not that I figured out WTF is going on with the V or the side vents or anything, it's ugly until we figure out it's useful. Only then can it become technically beautiful.

You seriously think an APU with a 5700+ class GPU core and a Zen2 CPU core is only going to cost that much? :)

Console makers aren't going to purchase retail graphics cards, retail CPUs and stitch them up together for their consoles.
They will purchase waffers with their chips from foundries.

Shortbread's estimation is higher than the price for PS4's and XBone's APUs back in 2013.
A 5700+ GPU plus a 8 core zen 2 is probably 350 to 400mm^2. Price per such a chip on 7nm+ is probably well below $200.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems simpler to package directly in taiwan, even if they're custom chips. What do they gain risking shipping wafers and packaging themselves?

Console makers aren't going to purchase retail graphics cards, retail CPUs and stitch them up together for their consoles.

Exactly.

Shortbread's estimation is lower than the price for PS4's and XBone's APUs back in 2013

The PS4 APU was around $100-$120 by most estimates. With total BOM being $380 for the PS4. So, my APU estimates ($145) for the PS5 are reasonable.

FYI: The memory at that time was the most expensive part of the system. Representing half the cost of entire the system. Good thing now, GDDR manufacturing/pricing are much more mature/reasonable than 2013.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.en...s-381-to-make-according-to-hardware-teardown/
The Advanced Micro Devices Inc. processor includes an eight-core Jaguar CPU and a Radeon GPU. This processor costs $100.00, IHS estimates, compared to an $83.55 combined total for the two prior, equivalent integrated circuits from IBM and Nvidia that were used in the PlayStation 3 that IHS analyzed in 2009.

Last edited:
Seems simpler to package directly in taiwan, even if they're custom chips. What do they gain risking shipping wafers and packaging themselves?

Um, TSMC does assemble all components (CPU, GPU, I/O logic, memory controller(s), etc.) into a total SoC/APU package.

Last edited:
Packaging = placing the chip on a substrate, applying the protective resin, etc.

To answer @MrFox's question, its usual for products with high volume to use several packaging facilities. See e.g. Vega 10 that had different packaging between Vega 64 and Vega 56 cards.

Shortbread's estimation is higher than the price for PS4's and XBone's APUs back in 2013.
A 5700+ GPU plus a 8 core zen 2 is probably 350 to 400mm^2. Price per such a chip on 7nm+ is probably well below $200.

We'll see how much prices for 7 nm drops next year, but currently prices for 7 nm is higher per mm^2 than it was for XBO/PS4 launch.

And you're all saying that the GDDR6 on Turing cards costs less than 50-ish USD?

Regards,
SB

Well, duh. I never said they were.

However, consider that Ryzen 2's 8 core die size is roughly 74 mm^2 and RX 5700 is roughly 251 mm^2. And then you have the 125 mm^2 uncore at 12 nm. So it's possible you may get that under 400 mm^2.

And all of that isn't even going into what might need to be added for RT support.

Also, it isn't like Sony or MS can salvage chips without all 8 cores being functional like AMD can by releasing 6 core chips. So that's going to increase costs as well.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back