Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2022] [XBSX, PS5]

Yes, and things should have adjusted somewhat by 2024. But that won't be enough. I don't see a "process shrink only" making a mid-gen upgrade possible like in 2016/2017. In order to have large enough performance gains for a mid-gen update, it will have to lean on architectural improvements.
imo mid refresh could be available with rdna3 premiere as they are rumored to have near 2x perf over rdna2 (and even more when rt enable) so realy soon tough for sure we won't see pro versions before late 2023

Seems that presentation was pre-launch as XSX was specified with a RX6700XT gpu which more of a rough estimation than true specs what they became. Maybe it was a presentation of what things might eventually look like.
I dont think we will see any mid-gen refreshes this time around, heck current PS5/Xbox availebility is already a problem.

8k60 btw, and that next year or so? lol

Yes, and things should have adjusted somewhat by 2024. But that won't be enough. I don't see a "process shrink only" making a mid-gen upgrade possible like in 2016/2017. In order to have large enough performance gains for a mid-gen update, it will have to lean on architectural improvements.

2024 will most likely enable sub 5nm nodes for AMD. MS or Sony might be able to go Zen 5+ rdna 3 or at that time frame may get rdna 3 refresh or rdna 4. Think it could be a sizable leap. The leap from zen 2 to zen 3+ is pretty big.

Actually the 3d cache seems to be a huge win with video games on the pc platform. That technology with zen 4 or 5 could and of course 5ghz + clocks could be a really big win for a console refresh. We haven't seen anything from a new RDNA GPU but hopefully on that side there would be some great strides esp in ray tracing.

Back