Next-gen Visual Targets (spin-off?)

The last consoles when they came out were about 1 step down from a top end pc. I think it will be the same this time around

The last consoles when they came out were about 1 step down from a top end pc. I think it will be the same this time around

They were actually above every PC except for those that were running SLI or Crossfire.

This time round though they'll be around mid-range IMO.

lol no way, I thought the first part with the girl was an actual human being...Maybe for ps5 and xbox 4 but no way this type of quality next gen. It's on a whole other level compared to unreal engine 4 and agins philosophy.

Not really...Agni is pretty close to simulating Visual Works CGI as it is, and that's using just one high end card from 2012. In 2015 when this game is expecting to be shipped, the high end GPU's are going to be a whole different kind of level. We already know that AMD and Nvidia have some advanced shit coming down the pipe in their roadmaps.

That's true about amd and nividia, but what does that have to do with consoles? This game will be featured on next gen consoles and pc port. Hopefully next gen enables games to have big environments, great AI and physics cause if it does then you can just buy the PC version of a game to get CGI level graphics.

Anyways I'm very impressed. I just hope I don't lose appreciation for the older games. Every time a new graphic standard comes into play, everything else seems like crap to me.

Even in this thread, I see the cyberpunk trailer then I go to see witcher 2 vids and it honestly felt like I was watching a ps2 game in comparison....E3 will probably be the most exciting this time for many years :)

lol no way, I thought the first part with the girl was an actual human being...Maybe for ps5 and xbox 4 but no way this type of quality next gen. It's on a whole other level compared to unreal engine 4 and agins philosophy.

When I played MGS1 in 1998 I've never would have thought that MGS2 will look the way it did in 2001. :) And dont forget, CDP is traditionally a PC developer.

but can they get close to this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-4HNmuEAKg

just jokin' :LOL:

Hah!

To be fair though, in many ways i think KZ2 and 3 really did reach the target render, although probably not the way Sony wanted people to believe.

A lot of that trailer now looks very rough and unpolished compared to things we can do on the PS3 and 360 right now even though that trailer blew everyone's mind when it debuted in 2005.

Advent Children needed an effin renderfarm to get those graphics in 2005. Now we can get there with one GTX680, that's friggen crazy how these things evolve.

I have no doubt that when optimizing for next gen consoles, we are going to be blown away by the things we see. The difference is, that PC's will be in a position to take that even further from those PC ports.

You have to be careful with other peoples visual targets, pretty much they are just that, targets.

You also don't really know which parts of the render they consider important, the AA level may not be something they are trying to match. It could just be about shadows, polygon counts, general lighting feel.

+1
as an example some crazy people argue that killzone 2 and 3 on ps3 are technically and graphically superior to the infamous target render of E3 2005. Which of course is not true for many aspects (animations, anti aliasing, high rez textures...etc).

To be fair though, in many ways i think KZ2 and 3 really did reach the target render, although probably not the way Sony wanted people to believe.
Mention of KZ2? Check. Mention of reaching 2005 concept vid? Check. ETA to thread closure due to inane bickering as KZ is compared to Halo is compared to Crysis is compared to Avatar? 12 posts...

they may have reached the feeling of the trailer in some ways, but on a purely technical level, we are still far from it (on consoles)

on next gen consoles they may be able to make their games look as good with tricks and all, but i think you could not put directly all the assets from that cgi movie and make it run full speed in real time.

seriously if we can expect the same kind of jump from this

http://www.aeropause.com/archives/cutscene1.jpg

to this

http://i4.minus.com/ibpt6bagzB8QvB.png

this should be really interesting.

Really ? I thought the 7800gtx was more powerfull no ?
wasnt the ps3 gpu similar to the 7800gt ?

The 360 was certainly on par though the PS3 released on the eve of the 8800GTX lol.

Multiplatform games nowadays would never run on the best PC graphics of 2005 or early 2006 without specialized optimization even though cards like the X1800 and X1900 in many ways easily are more powerful than Xenos.

I think that with the next generation we will reach the moment when it won't be about performance anymore but about cost/time constraints of asset creation. Thats why it will be hard to reach this level of fidelity thorough entire title (p.ex. Cyberpunk).

I think that with the next generation we will reach the moment when it won't be about performance anymore but about cost/time constraints of asset creation. Thats why it will be hard to reach this level of fidelity thorough entire title (p.ex. Cyberpunk).
That would be awesome but I don't think it's the case. With next gen engines and hardware being developer friendly, I think they can create their assets quicker then they did this gen. They are more experienced now and they can use their current assets and upgrade them. It's true that budgets will rise but there will come a point that compromises need to be made so that they can fit in their high quality assets.

I wonder if it's gonna be like this gen where launch games are good but years later they make an even bigger leap. I would be quite surprised if that happened as devs are very experienced with HD gaming development now.

All I know is if they're able to come close to something like that on next-gen, then it will be the gen where I finally become incredibly uncomfortable with playing gory games. I honestly do not want to see characters that look close to real (hidden valley) being dismembered or riddled with realistic bullet wounds. A game like Max Payne 3, with graphics like that, would probably be too much for me, let alone a game like Gears/God of War.

Back