[Allegedly Leaked]Battlefield 4 Sticks 720P/60 FPS on Next-Gen Consoles

Bigduo209

Regular
Battlefield 4 Sticks to 720P/60 FPS on Next-Gen Consoles – Frostbite 2.5, Game Details Leaked, Arriving in November 2013

http://wccftech.com/battlefield-4-s...5-game-details-leaked-arriving-november-2013/

Battlefield 4 Gets Frosbite 2.5 Engine – Destruction 4.0, Tessellation, Dynamic Weather Affects

In our previous article, we mentioned how the next generation Battlefield 4 would utilize 80% of the Frostbite engine’s power compared to 30% utilization in Battlefield 3. The new Frostbite 2.5 engine would feature much more enhanced visuals with PC being the lead platform for the game. According to the details, Battlefield 4 would maintain a steady 60 FPS on 720P resolution on both next generation consoles which include the PS4 and Xbox 720 which is a slight bit of a disappointment since earlier rumors suggested 1080P/60 FPS target for the next-gen consoles. However, the next generation consoles including the PC would get 64 players while the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 would stick to the default 24 player setup which is currently seen on Battlefield 4.

Frostbite 2.5 would be a complete overhaul of the current Frostbite 2.0 engine with DirectX 11 compatibility only on PC. Furthermore, the game would feature Dynamic weather effects such as rain, sandstorms, fog, haze and would be totally random. Each map would get these dynamic weather effects and would change depending on the variable conditions. As you may have noted, the cover image shows a glimpse of these weather effects such as rain. Battlefield 4 would also bring back the much renowned and upgraded Destruction 4.0 system to the game which would offer destructible environments and buildings which we saw back in Bad Company 2. PC versions would benefit from compute power which would render these dynamic destructible effects much more realistically. Furthermore, all of the environment including water, terrain and characters/NPC would make use of the new tessellation technology implemented inside Frostbite 2.5.

You think this has any validity to it? There's this belief that that most next-gen console games will do 1080p/30fps, but could a few other devs take DICE/EA's example and run with it?

Wouldn't surprise me. I expect a lot of games to be sub-1080p at 30fps, like games were sub-720 and 30fps this gen.

The consoles (well the PS4 at least) should be able to run BF3 at 1080/60 on ultimate settings (given the benefits of coding to fixed hardware), so it's a little disappointing to see BF4 run only at 720/60.

For a game like BF, where the maps are huge the extra detail afforded by 1080p would really help with spotting faraway players and sniping.

Whether 720p or 1080p, it should definitely run at 60 fps though, that's going to be a significantly more appreciable benefit than 1080p at 30fps would.

I wonder how much of an improvement the graphics will be compared to BF3, I'm assuming its more like BFBC1 to BFBC2 (small) rather than BFBC2 to BF3 (big)

Last edited by a moderator:
The consoles (well the PS4 at least) should be able to run BF3 at 1080/60 on ultimate settings (given the benefits of coding to fixed hardware), so it's a little disappointing to see BF4 run only at 720/60.

For a game like BF, where the maps are huge the extra detail afforded by 1080p would really help with spotting faraway players and sniping.

Whether 720p or 1080p, it should definitely run at 60 fps though, that's going to be a significantly more appreciable benefit than 1080p at 30fps would.

I wonder how much of an improvement the graphics will be compared to BF3, I'm assuming its more like BFBC1 to BFBC2 (small) rather than BFBC2 to BF3 (big)

Eh? A 7850 manages roughly ~48 FPS at Ultra with a beefy Core i7 3960X @ 4.3 Ghz at 1920x1200 with FXAA (MSAA drops it to ~32 FPS).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5691/...w-his-7870-iceq-turbo-powercolor-pcs-hd7870/3

I'm actually pretty impressed that they'll be able to manage 60 FPS at 720p with the added rendering features. I'll certainly be interested to see how it compares to the PC version when it comes out. Prior to this article coming out I would have assumed BF4 on PS4 would be 720p/30 at most with the listed features added.

Regards,
SB

First attempt on PS4 and Durango. Give 'em more time.

Personally I'd be rather disappointed if they found better coding practices in the future that allowed 1080p/60 with the same visuals and then used that performance headroom for that. I'd much rather they used that performance headroom for increased rendering effects at 720p/60.

Regards,
SB

New consoles won't be as powerful as people think. 720P/60fps is fine. I'd honestly be even shocked at a locked 60.

People thinking 1080p/60fps as the norm for next gen are just getting over hyped as usual.

Then there is full retard mode of wanting 4k gaming.

Eh? A 7850 manages roughly ~48 FPS at Ultra with a beefy Core i7 3960X @ 4.3 Ghz at 1920x1200 with FXAA (MSAA drops it to ~32 FPS).

well a 7850 almost exact is in ps4, and 48 to 60 fps is the tip of the iceberg of what can be achieved with closed box optimization. so, you proved his point if anything.

i can run bf3 campaign on mostly ultra (save a minor setting or two that requires dx11 to enable ultra) at ~30 fps on my ancient q6600 and hd4890.

IF this news is true i find it odd. i'd think if this was a quick and dirty first next gen effort, as it surely is, the easiest thing would have been a 1080p/60 port of the ps360 game, more or less. i'd have been disappointed in that as well.

720p implies they went for graphical fidelity at the cost of resolution, which doesnt make sense here.

New consoles won't be as powerful as people think. 720P/60fps is fine. I'd honestly be even shocked at a locked 60.

People thinking 1080p/60fps as the norm for next gen are just getting over hyped as usual.

Then there is full retard mode of wanting 4k gaming.

wanting 4k gaming in nondemanding indie titles and 2d titles is not full retard mode.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5691/...w-his-7870-iceq-turbo-powercolor-pcs-hd7870/3

I'm actually pretty impressed that they'll be able to manage 60 FPS at 720p with the added rendering features. I'll certainly be interested to see how it compares to the PC version when it comes out. Prior to this article coming out I would have assumed BF4 on PS4 would be 720p/30 at most with the listed features added.

Regards,
SB

The DF budget gaming PC with a HD6870 ran it at 1080p on Ultra settings at 30 fps.

So it's not unreasonable to assume closed box hardware (especially with 8GB of GDDR5) would manage the same at 60 fps (maybe with some minor cutbacks to stuff like effects quality etc)

Maybe they've added some new performance sapping engine features - dynamic weather effects looks like a good candidate.

well a 7850 almost exact is in ps4, and 48 to 60 fps is the tip of the iceberg of what can be achieved with closed box optimization. so, you proved his point if anything.

i can run bf3 campaign on mostly ultra (save a minor setting or two that requires dx11 to enable ultra) at ~30 fps on my ancient q6600 and hd4890.

IF this news is true i find it odd. i'd think if this was a quick and dirty first next gen effort, as it surely is, the easiest thing would have been a 1080p/60 port of the ps360 game, more or less. i'd have been disappointed in that as well.

720p implies they went for graphical fidelity at the cost of resolution, which doesnt make sense here.

Sure anything is possible. But 25% faster (PS4 over PC) with a much weaker CPU? That's basically saying the PS4 is just as fast as a top of the line PC with a 7950 (~60 FPS in that same review). I don't so. :)

If it had a 1 ghz clock similar to the 7870, then MAYBE, but even then I'd be slightly doubtful.

The DF budget gaming PC with a HD6870 ran it at 1080p on Ultra settings at 30 fps.

So it's not unreasonable to assume closed box hardware (especially with 8GB of GDDR5) would manage the same at 60 fps (maybe with some minor cutbacks to stuff like effects quality etc)

Maybe they've added some new performance sapping engine features - dynamic weather effects looks like a good candidate.

Referring back to what I linked before...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5625/...-7850-review-rounding-out-southern-islands/11

The DF budget system turned in much worse scores than what Anandtech had. At Anandtech, the 6870 did it at ~44 FPS compared to ~48 for the 7850. You certainly aren't jumping from there to 7950 + i7 3960X @ 4.3 Ghz territory (~60 FPS).

Regards,
SB

Reading some of the comments in that article just made me want to hurl. It's as if some magical pixie dust will allow the PS4 and Xbox 720 to render everything at 1080p60 without any kind of hit to graphics.

Sure anything is possible. But 25% faster (PS4 over PC) with a much weaker CPU? That's basically saying the PS4 is just as fast as a top of the line PC with a 7950 (~60 FPS in that same review). I don't so.

25% is nothing by standards of console optimization. you seem to be completely ignoring the console-pc differnce here. for gosh sake the 2005 consoles run something like tomb raider that doesnt look vastly different than the pc version in 2013.

also i havent checked bf3 specifically, but most modern pc games aren't cpu limited so a gaudy cpu doesn't matter.

If both PS4 and Durango run it at 720p/60fps despite the power difference, then what gives? Would one system have worse detail or one system being held back? Sorry I just had to go there.

Again I'd much prefer 1080p/30fps for maximum clarity and effects. Upgraded to a 65" Bravia HX955 for the nextgen consoles and was hoping 1080p becomes the norm.

Back