Next-gen Visual Targets (spin-off?)

DieH@rd

Legend

So.... IGN guys have mentioned that CD Projekt RED regards this CGI trailer is their "target render" for a 2015. sandbox RPG game.

What do you think? IQ is incredibly high, models are very impressive, environment is detailed. Possible at 720p/30fps?

Last edited by a moderator:
So.... IGN guys have mentioned that CD Projekt RED regards this CGI trailer is their "target render" for a 2015. sandbox RPG game.

What do you think? IQ is incredibly high, models are very impressive, environment is detailed. Possible at 720p/30fps?

The first part is clearly real time. Seeing as how there's not much going on in those scenes I'm betting its doable at 1080p on consoles.

As a cutscene, definitely. As in game open world gameplay? I think pretty close.

Dunno, looks like a slightly prettier Agni's to me. The last part's models are clearly rendered at a much higher quality. First part as a target render looks achievable.

If not then yawn at next gen :)

You have to be careful with other peoples visual targets, pretty much they are just that, targets.

You also don't really know which parts of the render they consider important, the AA level may not be something they are trying to match. It could just be about shadows, polygon counts, general lighting feel.

I think they can get fairly close to that quality....on 2015 level PC.

That's three GPU generations away [radeon 10xxx/gforce9xx], and who knows what will be available then from various ahitectures 2.5/3D stacking, advantages of HSA, etc.

Yeah, something like that will be possible, especially with nextgen consoles driving the developers to create much more advanced looking games than today.

CD Project probably means that they'll try to do something similar... If they can.

I doubt Platige had any considerations about that, they just did what they could with their tools and schedules. I wouldn't speculate on anything based on this material.

The game is from the same developer who made Witcher 2, so I do have high hopes in terms of visual as well as gameplay. Just sucks that the game is more than 2 years away lol.

I doubt Platige had any considerations about that, they just did what they could with their tools and schedules. I wouldn't speculate on anything based on this material.

Yeah, its almost certain that Visual Works did not aim to create the maximum HQ assets for Agni's demo. Platigue on the other hand... most likely make the best possible CGI they could with the budget/time they had.

If we're using Agni as a base standard for next gen consoles, then yes it should be possible with a huge budget and effort and time with a large team.

If witcher 2 is possible to be deconstructed down to 360 levels with no worse for wear, i have no doubt its achievable on 2012 console tech. Especially if CD Project are targeting those specs specifically.

If we're using Agni as a base standard for next gen consoles, then yes it should be possible with a huge budget and effort and time with a large team.

If witcher 2 is possible to be deconstructed down to 360 levels with no worse for wear, i have no doubt its achievable on 2012 console tech. Especially if CD Project are targeting those specs specifically.

I don't think Agni is a good example of any standard we should expect, especially not during the beginning. Even IF the next gen consoles can render games to that level, budgets need to be considered and I doubt many publishers will throw that much money towards a project before there is a sizable install base to sell it to.

That said, I think Cyberpunk will be a beautiful game, I just don't think we should be looking at this teaser trailer as an indication to how good it will look.

That's why i said "it should be possible with a huge budget and time and a large team"

I'm taking that into account, but i really think that based on what we've seen of this gen's best by the top tier studios, putting that much effort into a next gen product with the vastly superior hardware should yield much more efficient results. Especially with facial animation and how far mocap has come within the last hardware cycle.

http://www.abload.de/img/fsd9yszi.gif

http://www.abload.de/img/animation1wwlsn.gif

That's pretty fecking impressive stuff even for the 8 year old console hardware of 360 at this point.

That's why i said "it should be possible with a huge budget and time and a large team"

I'm taking that into account, but i really think that based on what we've seen of this gen's best by the top tier studios, putting that much effort into a next gen product with the vastly superior hardware should yield much more efficient results. Especially with facial animation and how far mocap has come within the last hardware cycle.

http://www.halouniverse.it/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/halo-4-gif-3.gif

That's pretty fecking impressive stuff even for the 8 year old console hardware of 360 at this point.

I'm sorry, even though I read your whole post I somehow missed that part. I think I was focusing too much on the use of "base standard", sorry about that, it's been a long day at work. :p

No problem :p

I really just enjoy seeing what devs can wring out of finite hardware resources you know? Especially if they are old and supposedly "ancient". For the consoles like Xbox 360 and PS3, its much more interesting to see what amazing things can come out of them than something like high end PC Crysis 3 in my opinion.

Yeah it looks good, but i'd expect it to with much more powerful PC hardware that's constantly evolving to be better. It should not be hard to make a great looking game with those kinds of resources. That's why i think that Crytek while being commended for making Crysis and Farcry, are not as high on the technical ladder in regards to effort even though they work with much more advanced tech than console devs.

I wonder if its unreasonable to think like that...

No problem :p

I really just enjoy seeing what devs can wring out of finite hardware resources you know? Especially if they are old and supposedly "ancient". For the consoles like Xbox 360 and PS3, its much more interesting to see what amazing things can come out of them than something like high end PC Crysis 3 in my opinion.

Yeah it looks good, but i'd expect it to with much more powerful PC hardware that's constantly evolving to be better. It should not be hard to make a great looking game with those kinds of resources. That's why i think that Crytek while being commended for making Crysis and Farcry, are not as high on the technical ladder in regards to effort even though they work with much more advanced tech than console devs.

I wonder if its unreasonable to think like that...

It's not unreasonable at all. Looking at the beginning of this gen versus what we have now, it's quite impressive. The consoles have kept up with the PC well in how console devs continue to persist.

I mean, if i had seen during last gen what i've seen at the later stages of this gen, i would have shit my pants!

Although i could say the same thing about Shadow of the Colossus or Halo during my PS1 days and so on. It just seems like the bar is always being raised to much bigger heights than you think beforehand. Like "how much better could things possibly be in X amount of time? I can't even imagine it".

CD Projekt CEO was interviewed by TVN CNBC and had few interesting things to say:

- Trailer represents the level of in-game graphics that they're aiming for.

- Cyberpunk 2077 will have a much bigger marketing budget than any of their previous games, and they're confident it will be a commercial success comparable to the "big games". The most important market for C2077 will be NA.

- They are about to start talks with publishers about their second title (which will be announced on 5 February).

The last point suggest that we may as well see some gameplay footage from the second title.

CD project would already have console dev kits..wouldn't they?

Febuary 5th right? That's not too far away to actually show off gameplay if that's truly the case.

Its weird how in comparison to Wii U we've not heard any complaints at all about the hardware of the Durango, although there has been some whispers about early Orbis, which makes me wonder what we'll be seeing at its unveiling in proportion to those tech demos and target renders.

Back