Will Dev Costs Flatten Next Gen (PS4, Xbox3)?

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
Note: This post is mainly focused on the cost of content (art) asset creation. There are obviously other significant development costs (engine technology, developer tools, staffing to create such) in addition to artists and designers, but my interest here was to "think out loud" about potential future product costs of content creation on future consoles.

One of the major factors in this generation of software development has been the increase in development budgets. A number of factors contributed to this issue but it seems most agree that content creation and iteration have been the major factor in this equation. Content is expensive to create and the current platforms require (a) more unique assets and (b) higher quality assets to compete.

The question is if this curve will flatten out for typical titles next generation.

I think there is some evidence we won't see development budgets explode again, at least for savvy dev studios. Here are some reasons I think AAA titles can be made without a significant bump in current budgets while still obtaining significant increases in expected graphical fidelity.

1. Source Art. Most current generation games use normal maps and parallax maps for added detail in game assets. A 10,000 poly character will often have a 1,000,000 source model used to generate the normal maps. As Epic has noted, a 1,000,000 poly game level will be derived from a 200,000,000 poly source, the difference being the normal maps "storing" the difference in poly detail.

Is there a reason that this generations 1M poly character source model needs to become a 10M poly source model? If next gen sees a jump from 10M polys + normal maps to 30M polys + parallax (displacement?) maps with tesselation is there a practical need to bump the source model up? The diminishing returns in the consoles (discussed in the prediction thread) have some bearing here on the source side as well. What is there to be gained in a practical sense in increasing the detail with a target resolution of 1080p?

It seems to me, due to the use of normal maps, the source art is already significantly detailed and the issue is less about the quality of the source art but more the abilities of the hardware to replicate the quality.

2. Fidelity and Technology. If my arguement above stands, i.e. source art quality is high enough in many cases already to be re-purposed for next gen, it would seem logical that the conjunction of high quality game assets from the same source models in conjunction with better technology could make a visual leap with minimal development cost increase.
Take Gears of War 2. How much additional development time is going to be required for the artists if the game were running on hardware that was capable of higher quality textures, 1080p, 4xMSAA, 8xAF, and Epic was able to deploy dynamic shadows, dynamic lighting, and a better GI hack? All of these things are possible using the current source art. In some ways realtime technologies can help with iteration.

Better rendering techniques and higher fidelity rendering in conjunction with higher quality game assets from current generation source art assets could provide a significant visual punch without a steep increase in source art creation costs. At least in theory.

3. Procedural Tools. There are a number of middleware tools for procedural content generation (clouds, vegitation, etc). Companies like Crytek and Ubisoft (Far Cry 2) have shown how these tools can be utilized to quickly create unique locals and Epic has shown in UE3 the use of such tools to quickly create unique geometry. idTech5 goes another direction with essentially a giant flat canvas where "stamping" allows for the quick creation of unique detail throughout the world. Many companies use procedural tools to create unique looking NPCs instead of individually modeling every detail of a character.

While procedurals tools aren't a one size fits all solution it seems current tools (especially retime tools focused on iteration) speed up content creation. New consoles will still have limits (memory, rendering power, importantly processing power and efficency) but the issue may be one about "how much grass do you want?" and not "can we do grass or not?" Tools that allow artists to quickly deploy basic assets in realtime should contunie to speed up development on the art side. How far are we from seeing tools that create roads and buildings?

A hypothetical "procedural building maker" could simply prompt the artists:

Style? (Modern, Victorian, Industrial, Cottage, Midevil...)
Age? (Years)
Condition? (Great, typical, poor maintenance)
Siding type?
Color?
Roof type?
Stories?
Windows?
Doors?
Accessories? (Porch, Garage, basement, etc)

After creating the base unit the artist could then move around the doors and windows via a WYSIWYG, add shutters, etc. Decals (vandalism?) and unique subtleties could be added to each building in a final pass. Rooms could be populated with a "fill" tool with assets of set categories and re-arranged. Entire neighborhoods, even cities, could be deployed quickly through such tools. Just as Far Cry 2 allows you to create entire forests on consoles (!) with unique terrain and foliage is it not plausable that these sort of tools will be extended to allow quick iteration of unique, high quality asset development?

We have already seen in Far Cry 2 how a developer in 1 hour built a multicamp map with connecting roads, vegitation, etc, set the time of day, wind, vehicle placement etc all within 1 hour. In past generation creating such would have taken a team many man hours. Yes, the tools required significant amounts of time to make and the asset library also was a sizable investment. Yet we are seeing with Dunia that ubisoft is repurposing the foliage engine. The large up front cost of developing procedural tools isn't insignificant, but the ability to repurpose these tools and assets to expedite unique content creation seems like a direction to increase quality while controlling development costs.

Bit-tech ran an article a while back on procedural "aging" of materials through shaders. This is another unique concept where unique high quality models can be created quickly without requiring the artists direct input on every pixel. The example was a bathroom that aged and was damaged, all changed through shaders.

4. Art. Two trajectories in regards to art could help keep costs low. First is "realistic" games. With the continued creation of high quality assets intended to be utilized for games with a "realistic" look there should be a growing library of assets at publishers for utilization. While not every asset can be re-used, minimally using a standard library as a starting point to get a project moving and customizing as the project matures seems plausible. A unique feel could also be added not so much through the recreation of every asset but by the use of rendering techniques that give a unique look as well as shaders that give objects a unique look and wear to match the tone of the art direction. Likewise more "artistic" games create opportunities to create high quality, unique looking games that put more emphasis on style and unique rendering tricks above brute asset creation. Looking at CGI and comic books there is a large variety of art concepts that can be deployed that shift budgets away from "more and better". Artists may be in a position to create unique worlds that match their artistic vision that significantly underutilize the hardware (and are affordable to create) yet have a significant visual punch.

My general point is that I see ways for savvy studios to create cutting edge software without breaking the bank next gen. This may create some limits of the type of game developers create and this doesn't begin to address the difficulties developers face in deploying new technology (animation, AI, physics, all these tools to help artists and designers, etc aren't free or easy). Likewise there will always be the high profile games that throw caution to the wind or "crunch" products that abandon fiscal sense to get a product out on time, but it would appear that developers at least have options next generation to continue improving the visual quality of games without doubling, tripling, or even quadrupaling their current budgets. Which also makes sense with diminishing returns--the visual return for a 200% increase in mesh fidelity for physics or 5x improvement in poly count is less appearant there is a logical move away from investing in something many consumers cannot see and therefor don't value. Bigger, unique, and more interactive worlds; refined and unique gameplay experiences; deep featuresets with varied experiences; stories... and so forth have a direct effect on consumers. We have seen with a number of high profile, high selling titles that the development focus has less been on strict visuals but on user experience. If consumers are choosing these titles over technically and visually superior products based on art preference and user experience it would appear to be a solid guide to next gen software development where iteration is a primary focus of development. Hence limiting the costs of asset development and smart (re-)utilization of assets and procedural tools may be avenues which we see dev budgets remain flat while the general quality of games continues to improve.

So do developers feel there is some truth to the above, or are there some fundamental flaws in understanding the direction, and cost associations, with deploying said approaches. My hunch is there are studios who will find ways to raise the graphical bar while keeping budgets similar to what they have today. Disagree?

What about the use of 'cheap' labour to populate a city? I mean theres already an increasing level of outsourcing to places like China, and if you wanted a reasonably populated village or town you could simply offload that work offshore and have them do it on the cheap and leave your valuable artist time for doing the stuff that really matters like crafting the visual feel of the game?

Squilliam said:
What about the use of 'cheap' labour to populate a city?
a) That's already quite commonly done by larger studios
b) "Cheap" labour costs are increasing and are going to continue to increase. Eg., the way China game-market is expanding (IIRC it already outgrew PC market in US) it won't be long before it's no longer a viable low-cost alternative for outsourcing.

Last edited by a moderator:
b) "Cheap" labour costs are increasing and are going to continue to increase. Eg., the way China game-market is expanding (IIRC it already outgrew PC market in US) it won't be long before it's no longer a viable low-cost alternative for outsourcing.

One thing I'd add is that outsourcing quality is hit or miss. Sometimes outsourcing work that was intended to save time and money is so bad, that the poor local artists have to spend a lot longer to 'fix' it. The really good outsourcing places as you say have been getting more and more expensive.

I agree with the general sentiment. Even for textures, to assume that there's some linear relationship between resolution and cost would be equivalent to assuming artists still hand-place individual pixels. If you make something in bulk, the individual bits become progressively easier, and that's true for pixels and polygons just as much as it is for screws and tea cups.

One thing I want to throw in though:
Content is expensive to create and the current platforms require (a) more unique assets and (b) higher quality assets to compete.
It probably depends on what level of audience you want to reach. There still are valid choices and tradeoffs worth making. Conservative budgets may still lead to successful products, and at lower risks, even if you sell less on an absolute scale.

The HD versions of Mini Ninjas use Wii-level assets, essentially, and still manage to look very nice through style and consistency, good image quality and high framerate.
Disgaea 3 is such a niche game that it might not be commercially viable anymore with anything but its current simplistic graphics.

These products may technically not compete with top-tier graphics showcases on their respective systems, but they don't have to. Actually my point is that they probably shouldn't. It would be hard to ever recoup the expense.

I agree, and I think one smart way to differentiate and to control costs, especially to cost sensative titles, is to go with art styles that are pleasing but budget friendly. A fair number of titles have proven to be quite beautiful and functional while having a smaller budget.

I would be willing to bet there are a large number of $20M titles with pretty poor graphics that invested a lot of that money into content creation.

I agree, and I think one smart way to differentiate and to control costs, especially to cost sensative titles, is to go with art styles that are pleasing but budget friendly. A fair number of titles have proven to be quite beautiful and functional while having a smaller budget.
That's definitely true of the Indie market where they just don't have money to throw at artists. The upshot is, thanks to download titles, huge exposure to different art-styles, and people can appreciate anything now - even cut-and-paste.

Still, some of what you've suggested should have made an appearance this gen but hasn't. An automatic house creator would find use now, just rendered to a lower quality model. I'm not sure who's going to lead the way in procedural mesh creation.

To devs credit we are already seeing a move this direction though. I was trying out the NFS demos (Carbon, Most Wanted, or Underground, don't remember) and they had a car customization tool where you could change all sorts of things on the car on the fly. Number of spokes, width, angle, innder hub size, depth of connection to the wheel base, tire thickness, tire width, etc. This was true of the spoiler, hood, side panels, etc. Essentially a stock car could be customized on the fly.

I think it is a matter of time before the concept (with inherent tradeoffs) become commonplace. I bet there are a lot of internal tools for doing exact these sort of things.

In regards to simpler art, with better rendering techniques and cleaner assets (cleaning up aliasing, tesselating edges, better shadowing and lighting models) even very basic assets can look very nice. With some filters and whatnot very modest assets can not only be functional by visually pleasing. The more power available, especially cheap accessible power, I think we see a shift more toward art over pure technical excellence. I think we already see that now from consumer input on what makes certain games look good. Of course I still hold to the position a lot of gamers are concerned with the experience and don't tend to be totally focused on pure pixel fidelity. While we think 3D, they think beyond 3D :p

To devs credit we are already seeing a move this direction though. I was trying out the NFS demos (Carbon, Most Wanted, or Underground, don't remember) and they had a car customization tool where you could change all sorts of things on the car on the fly...I think it is a matter of time before the concept (with inherent tradeoffs) become commonplace. I bet there are a lot of internal tools for doing exact these sort of things.
Modern editors are superb too. We've seen the CryEngine demo. We can also use amazing tools like LBP, ModNation Racers, and Trials HD.

But things still strike me as a bit retarded. Characters in game are often clones just as they were last gen, even though the tech to adjust them and add variety has existed as you've described in the days of FIFA et al. eg. Fighting a mob of enemies in any fighting game, they are identical. This could be solved by tweaking a few parameters, but it doesn't happen. I wonder what the holdup is, and what will mark the point where procedural variety elliminates artist requirements? It's it just a matter of profcessing power on the current boxes?

In regards to simpler art, with better rendering techniques and cleaner assets (cleaning up aliasing, tesselating edges, better shadowing and lighting models) even very basic assets can look very nice.
That's very true! IQ counts for a lot. Take any current gen engine and render it with high AA and AF at 60 fps, and it'll be a vast improvement. Look at the screenshots of Red Steel 2 on Wii for example. If the game were that clean, it'd be exceptional! Or take Valkaryia Chronicles on PS3. It could do with some higher resolution models perhaps, but the same game rendered with gobs of supersamping would look as good as scanned art.

Or take a game like Forza Motorsport 3. Look at the photomod and it isn't difficult to see that with essentially the same assets that hardware in the 2012-2013 range (if similar silicon footprints are used by MS) that a next-gen Forza could look significantly better without a significant bump in asset work. If the new consoles are 'done right' and forward looking enough (within reasonable limits) we could be looking at the platforms after that being introduced for different reasons (e.g. holographic gaming??)

Of course that puts more of the focus on differentiating a product based on features and services ... which is a good thing!

Or take a game like Forza Motorsport 3. Look at the photomod and it isn't difficult to see that with essentially the same assets that hardware in the 2012-2013 range (if similar silicon footprints are used by MS) that a next-gen Forza could look significantly better without a significant bump in asset work. If the new consoles are 'done right' and forward looking enough (within reasonable limits) we could be looking at the platforms after that being introduced for different reasons (e.g. holographic gaming??)
Given the tapering out of performance progress, the future could go absolutely anywhere for a number of reasons!

Modern editors are superb too. We've seen the CryEngine demo. We can also use amazing tools like LBP, ModNation Racers, and Trials HD.

But things still strike me as a bit retarded. Characters in game are often clones just as they were last gen, even though the tech to adjust them and add variety has existed as you've described in the days of FIFA et al. eg. Fighting a mob of enemies in any fighting game, they are identical. This could be solved by tweaking a few parameters, but it doesn't happen. I wonder what the holdup is, and what will mark the point where procedural variety elliminates artist requirements? It's it just a matter of profcessing power on the current boxes?

Wouldn't that be a memory issue? Having multiple unique or different character assets would take up more RAM. It could be an effort to conserve it.

The largest hungarian outsource studio has almost completely collapsed. And they did stuff for titles like, Dark Sector, Witcher, Rise of the Argonauts, FEAR 2, MotoGP... but they didn't get any new work and had to lay off almost everyone.

Haven't got a clue about the reasons though.

Wouldn't that be a memory issue? Having multiple unique or different character assets would take up more RAM. It could be an effort to conserve it.

Well no... you don't need unique characters. Do it like COD does it, and variate the gear they carry and such. Like 5 pairs of pants, 5 jackets etc... that way, you can create 100 different characters, with the assets of 5 unique ones.

I read most of the assets for Heavy Rain were outsourced to China I think, under close supervision. So far from what I've seen that's turned out fairly well (the environments look pretty good). They probably had an artist here draw the art, and then sent detailed instructions on how to turn that into 3D with a good and constant reviewing process.

I read most of the assets for Heavy Rain were outsourced to China I think, under close supervision. So far from what I've seen that's turned out fairly well (the environments look pretty good). They probably had an artist here draw the art, and then sent detailed instructions on how to turn that into 3D with a good and constant reviewing process.

The final results doesn't actually tell you if the outsourcing process was successful. It's pretty easy for an outsourcer to supply Max/Maya assets that look good but are unusable until local artists spend lots of time 'fixing' them. Language barriers sometimes make the process frustratingly difficult as well.

It's probably a lot like using an overseas animation studio. I've been listening to the Venture Brothers DVD commentaries this week and they talk a lot about all the ways the stuff can come back screwed up, and what they have to fix. This is a case where they've sent finished backgrounds, model sheets, storyboards, scripts, etc, to the studio in Korea and it can still come back wrong. Adding a third dimension and rendering performance limitations to the mix and I can imagine it's not really a quick fix.

What I'm thinking is he's pretty much spot on.

Next gen will be limited by $$$

We'll get a slight upgrade graphically. But games will pretty much look like PS3/360 level. Just higher res textures, 1080p, 60 fps, every game

Back