[Allegedly Leaked]Battlefield 4 Sticks 720P/60 FPS on Next-Gen Consoles

That's because we have 7+ year old consoles, how can you make that judgement when the PS4/720 haven't released yet?

This is a silly argument because if you can do more @ 720p than 1080p we might aswell go 480p and get even moar!!!!

The counter argument is that at 480p game assets in previous generations were unable to properly display their fidelity/detail. I'd argue that we aren't there yet for 720p. A 720p BR movie has more than enough detail in its pixels to show off high end CG details not yet doable in games.

The most pressing area of diminishing returns is in HD+ resolution imho. The higher you get, the less noticeable it becomes. We already see this with the countless DF comparisons. SenjutsuSage is spot on. Ppl will see gameplay demos of various games that look great asset-wise and talk as if these new games are the best looking things on the planet. Then when DF analyzes them and we find out they are a few pixels short of 720p all the sudden the games are viewed as fugly. Without a side by side comparison to pour over, pretty much nobody would even notice in most cases.

Add into the mix Durango's display planes giving devs one more way to manage where pixels are placed in relation to certain assets and things are gonna get a whole lot murkier next gen I think.

To clarify, the IQ I was referring to was the 720p version on the 360 dashboard. It looks downright unbelievable in terms of IQ on my 720p tv in my bedroom.

It's still the same PC footage originally rendered at 3K. I checked the dashboard version earlier today and the picture quality of the video was terrible compared to the youtube version...Now I can't find the video at my dashboard anymore to check again.

It's still the same PC footage originally rendered at 3K. I checked the dashboard version earlier today and the picture quality of the video was terrible compared to the youtube version...Now I can't find the video at my dashboard anymore to check again.

The video streams on the dashboard. If you have a connection issue it will degrade the stream. On my tv/connection it was incredibly impressive though. Best IQ I've seen in-game at 720p.

Strange. It doesn't seem to be there anymore. I even tried a voice search and nothing came up beyond BF 3 stuff. Odd. :/

Digital foundry has a 60Hz version of the gameplay trailer! Super cool!! Check it out guys...

Imo spatial resolution took a slight hit in the DF 1080p60Hz vid compared to the youtube vid. So you get higher temporal resolution, but lower spatial resolution...fits rather well to this thread imo!

It looked great but to be honest it didn't really look that much different to Battlefield 3. I guess it's unrealistic to expect much more since they're still working with more or less the same hardware but I definitely wasn't as blown away as I was when I saw the first video of BF3. Diminishing returns kicking in hard I guess. That said, the destruction seemed like a big step up over BF3.
I think the main reason is that BF3's big leap was fairly physically correct lighting. I think it was some kind of GI + radiosity + gamma-correct brightness. Once you've done that, you can't really do it again.

Sort of like how once you've made the leap to 3D, you can't repeat that jump.

Back