News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of wonder if they might not do what they've done with the Lumia 950, which is give an option to switch to the full Windows interface, if you desire to do so, but have the default interface a customized experience for the device. So basically, boot your console to a console interface that makes it very fast and easy to navigate for all the basic gaming, social and media features. Plug in a keyboard and mouse, select a menu option and you're in the full Windows UI with the Xbox App. Yah, there are memory and performance considerations for that, but it may be the route they choose to go.

Because a lot of us want a PC without having Windows, i.e. an entirely controller-centric UI where you never have to connect a keyboard or mouse unless you want too. It's well within grasp :yep2:

Isn't that what SteamOS is about?

Because a lot of us want a PC without having Windows, i.e. an entirely controller-centric UI where you never have to connect a keyboard or mouse unless you want too. It's well within grasp :yep2:
"We have a product for you. It's called Windows 8.0"o_O:mrgreen:

Spencer says there will be another Xbox
Note that he also mentions Xbox users are their best customers, and I can tell you, it has to be the truth, save for the companies who use Office, and even so I guess Xbox users spend more money per game.

I kind of wonder if they might not do what they've done with the Lumia 950, which is give an option to switch to the full Windows interface, if you desire to do so, but have the default interface a customized experience for the device. So basically, boot your console to a console interface that makes it very fast and easy to navigate for all the basic gaming, social and media features. Plug in a keyboard and mouse, select a menu option and you're in the full Windows UI with the Xbox App. Yah, there are memory and performance considerations for that, but it may be the route they choose to go.
I guess it's something like this.. I don't think my 635 phone can do that as of yet

I'm not sure that I agree with all of this Xbox 4 will be a PC talk; don't people that want a PC for gaming buy a PC for gaming?

Hypothetically speaking, if Microsoft release an underpowered (as Cyan suggests) PC and call it an Xbox, will people really flock to that? I can't say they did for the Xbox One when it was being sold as a multimedia device, so I don't imagine it will be here either.

I understand the need to try and harmonise your products into the same environment, though I don't think consoles should be pushed in a direction that doesn't suit them. The last thing I need is work colleagues messaging me while I'm playing Halo deathmatch on Xbox.

If Microsoft want me to buy their next console it won't be because it has word processing capabilities, if anything that'll put me off buying it. Can you imagine another Microsoft reveal of the next Xbox and instead of showing TVTVsports, they're showing ExcelOutlookWord? I seriously doubt anyone will be praising its ability to have 100s of fonts preinstalled and that you can plug in a keyborard and mouse...

Surely anyone buying a console buys it for games first and everything else second? I would have thought this was known fact by now.
It can be a console with PC like capabilities, in a totally closed environment a la Apple, where you can use PC apps and code in a extremely protected environment via a virtual machine which "lies" to the native PC software saying it is Pamela Anderson but it is Linda Evangelista? Couldn't it be done? -honest question- :smile2:

Maybe it will have a x86 CPU as part of a AMD SOC and a fine GPU. There is a console like tablet in the UK, which is apparently meant to stream Xbox One games on the screen -the specs aren't any good for a decent PC gaming experience if you are in the latest but I am sure it can run emulators and games like Heroes of Might and Magic series pretty well.

upload_2015-12-11_22-28-6.png

The article says it is the Linx Vision 8.

http://www.windowscentral.com/uks-p...let-controllers-play-streaming-xbox-one-games

It can be a console with PC like capabilities, in a totally closed environment a la Apple, where you can use PC apps and code in a extremely protected environment via a virtual machine which "lies" to the native PC software saying it is Pamela Anderson but it is Linda Evangelista? Couldn't it be done? -honest question- :smile2:

Maybe it will have a x86 CPU as part of a AMD SOC and a fine GPU. There is a console like tablet in the UK, which is apparently meant to stream Xbox One games on the screen -the specs aren't any good for a decent PC gaming experience if you are in the latest but I am sure it can run emulators and games like Heroes of Might and Magic series pretty well.

View attachment 1050

The article says it is the Linx Vision 8.

http://www.windowscentral.com/uks-p...let-controllers-play-streaming-xbox-one-games

I don't want one of those. If I did I would have bought one already.

Isn't that what SteamOS is about?

Steam OS is a steaming pile of poo. It's not bad if your game is lucky enough to get a Linux port. It's not bad if you don't mind the few games that get a Linux port being delayed over the PC version. And once the moon and the stars align to allow that to happen, just cross your fingers that performance isn't catastrophic on your Steam Machine.

In other words, just get a PC. IMO, Steam OS only exists because people like to hate on Microsoft.

BTW - I love Steam. And boycott virtually any publisher (like EA) that doesn't sell their games on Steam. :p

Regards,
SB

Steam OS is a steaming pile of poo. It's not bad if your game is lucky enough to get a Linux port. It's not bad if you don't mind the few games that get a Linux port being delayed over the PC version. And once the moon and the stars align to allow that to happen, just cross your fingers that performance isn't catastrophic on your Steam Machine.

In other words, just get a PC. IMO, Steam OS only exists because people like to hate on Microsoft.

BTW - I love Steam. And boycott virtually any publisher (like EA) that doesn't sell their games on Steam. :p

Regards,
SB

Yes but Steam's Big Picture Mode has all of the advantages people are describing above with none of the disadvantages you describe here. I'm reading all these posts thinking, err.. Steam Big Picture mode??

It's a console style interface that's fully controllable by the control pad to launch games, play music, even browse the internet, and you can boot directly into it, effectively never having to see windows.

The only issues come about from games that have their own launchers. So you launch from Steam, but then it opens another launcher which in some rare cases requires mouse intervention. That's where the Steam controller would come in. Ditto for mouse only controlled games although I think they're pretty rare these days.

I think you're missing the sarcasm of the earlier posts. That was certainly my intention anyway.

The only issues come about from games that have their own launchers. So you launch from Steam, but then it opens another launcher which in some rare cases requires mouse intervention. That's where the Steam controller would come in. Ditto for mouse only controlled games although I think they're pretty rare these days.

Yes, Steam's big picture mode is fantastic. However, this issue would be a big one for your general consumer that just wants to play a game with a console like experience in the living room.

I'd imagine any game for the hypothetical Xbox that is just a Windows PC with a Windows UI hidden (lightweight Windows Lite with most services disabled?) and a walled garden implemented would make sure that all games would just run without further user input (various publisher specific launchers).

That in itself would be a relatively big draw for many. Just start the game and the game starts. Not start the game, watch a launcher start, start the game through launcher. I know for me, I find it annoying that AAA game publishers insist on having their launcher launch when you start their games though Steam.

The other potential draw for PC gamers would be the inability to run arbitrary code means the machine would be more resistant to malicious software attacks. You wouldn't have to worry about your children running something they shouldn't and then spending the next day or days removing malicious software. Of course, for other PC gamers, the inability to run arbitrary code would be seen as a drawback.

Regards,
SB

Steam Big Picture mode is nice, but to this day it remains unstable. I don't think I have ever used it where it didn't eventually crash.

Steam OS is a steaming pile of poo.
I remember first installing Steam to play Half-Life 2 and you could say the same of that but Valve kept at it. I can see Valve plugging away and virtualising Windows (or DirectX) in some fashion to improve compatibility which is SteamOS's biggest barrier for gamers, the second being performance secondary to Windows for the most part.

I don't see it getting radically better quickly, though.

Steam Big Picture mode is nice, but to this day it remains unstable. I don't think I have ever used it where it didn't eventually crash.

I use Steam a lot in Big Picture Mode and never had a crash. I run Kodi (née XBMC) on an MacMini running OSX connected to my TV with a DualShock 4 linked by Bluetooth. Kodi calls Steam running in Big Picture mode which connects to a remote Windows machine running Steam in streaming mode.

I don't want one of those. If I did I would have bought one already.
Don't you think it's Sony who is going to up the ante once again? Shifty mentioned it and it makes sense, they are negotiating more exclusive deals, more jRPGs than anyone else, and stuff and the console is a success. Thus I expect PS5 to keep the current trend and go for a very powerful machine and taking the industry by storm again. I see Nintendo here competing too once again, hopefully so, to add more variety to the industry.

Xbox though..they need to weather the storm first, which they are doing, and pretty well, if you ask me.

The next Xbox though, I am not so sure, because of what the article says. (bolded part)

As televisions, computers, and smart devices become the all-in-one-devices that seek to displace consoles, does Xbox just become an app or a storefront or a brand?

"No," Spencer says, "I fully expect that you’ll see another console from us […] Our best customers are Xbox console customers, and I want to keep those people engaged both on the Xbox One and anything we might do in the future. I’m 100 percent committed to that."

"I don’t want to dilute what the Xbox console customer feels," says Spencer. "I want to expand what we’re able to do for more customers."

I think it is going to be a very capable machine, although not the most powerful. My ideal console could be one like the one I described before, and if it got plenty of power the better, of course.

The next Xbox is going to be called Surface Xbox, I think, because Surface (the video says it all) is very prestigious.

Wait, what? You expect the PS5 to keep up the current trend and go for a very powerful machine? The PS4 is a weak, underpowered, piece of garbage. So is the XB1.

They're both garbage, the days of powerful machines apparently ended last generation and with Sony's success this generation, there's no reason they are going to go back to losing hundreds of dollars on each console sold.

The only question is whether or not "the cloud" really actually works for MS and they can leverage money they've already invested in cloud servers to noticeably improve the performance of the local machines. I guess we'll see when Crackdown comes out and if other truly "Next Gen" games like ReCore utilize it as well.

There's no way Sony is going to put state of the art hardware in the PS5. Nor MS, for that matter.

Wait, what? You expect the PS5 to keep up the current trend and go for a very powerful machine? The PS4 is a weak, underpowered, piece of garbage. So is the XB1.

They're both garbage, the days of powerful machines apparently ended last generation and with Sony's success this generation, there's no reason they are going to go back to losing hundreds of dollars on each console sold.
I'm sure TDP is a big part of the factor and perhaps cost is not as much? It's clear that both companies are _well_ aware of the technologies and power that is available well in advance, but both of these machines do incredibly well for the low wattage machines that they are.

The only question is whether or not "the cloud" really actually works for MS and they can leverage money they've already invested in cloud servers to noticeably improve the performance of the local machines. I guess we'll see when Crackdown comes out and if other truly "Next Gen" games like ReCore utilize it as well.

There's no way Sony is going to put state of the art hardware in the PS5. Nor MS, for that matter.
If there was a reason to invest into the cloud, it's due to the point above ^^. Makes sense to me. It's not like sending and receiving packets is going to up the power draw all the much. Seems like a win/win if you can get the processing power up without increasing the wattage.

If this were 1 of many methods to get around TDP requirements ; a couple more of these types of innovations and you might have a decently powerful console with relatively low enough TDP to sit in the living room.

If there was a reason to invest into the cloud, it's due to the point above ^^. Makes sense to me. It's not like sending and receiving packets is going to up the power draw all the much. Seems like a win/win if you can get the processing power up without increasing the wattage.
Cloud compute doesn't get rid of the wattage. It just moves it somewhere else, with cost to pass on to the consumer.

Cloud compute doesn't get rid of the wattage. It just moves it somewhere else, with cost to pass on to the consumer.
Agreed, it does bring into question the requirement for low TDP for consoles. Is it cost, the nature of the device must be silent, run for long periods of time in a small box with more nuances around proper ventilation, or all of the above.

Higher TDP also adds other problems like how are you going to cool down the APU, what will the failure rate be if you don't properly do that (RROD/YLOD)? And if you want to avoid that you probably have to invest a lot in the cooling solution, which will then increase the cost of production and the size of the device. You have to take into account the power supply, which will also have to be more capable/expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back