News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I've seen that when they showed it at E3. However, there hasn't been anything else shown since the slight UI changes were shown at Gamescom. The Cortana circle icon is gone & it looks like it was replaced with a magnifying glass.

Tommy McClain

Yeah, I've seen that when they showed it at E3. However, there hasn't been anything else shown since the slight UI changes were shown at Gamescom. The Cortana circle icon is gone & it looks like it was replaced with a magnifying glass.

Tommy McClain

Cortana is still listed on the new experience page. Maybe it's a feature that will show up later in a monthly release if its not in the current build slated for November.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/experience

Is the interface redesigned to work better without voice controls? At a cursory glance that appears to be the case, and makes sense.

Is the interface redesigned to work better without voice controls? At a cursory glance that appears to be the case, and makes sense.

I'm not really sure that's the big reason. They had already added UI changes to make it easier to use without voice last year when the released the Snap Center. They've said their biggest goal now is to make it super fast & make it more streamlined for gaming. Personally I think they are trying more to meld the Win 10 interface with the 360 interface. I think it's a pretty good combo for voice & non-voice users alike.

Tommy McClain

It's possible that if you received a message directly from XBLG you could have the NXOE today.
Apparently:
EnrollChangePending means that your console is waiting for going from Xbox Preview Program to New Experience Preview Program.

When your Xbox is registered in New Experience Preview program, then you will see EnrollPending, that means that your new Enroll is pending for beeing elected to get the update.

--
So my understanding here is that the dashboard will roll out today as per major nelsons blog.

Last edited:
Well locally my console status displays "EnrollChangePending".

We'll see if anything happens over the weekend.

I have all of those games, two from PS+. :(

Didn't you get an Xbox One fairly recently? How are you finding it now after having used it for a few months? I'd be interested to hear the perspective of someone that owns both current-gen machines.

I travelled up to my sister's house a few months ago and my nephews have an Xbox One, I played Titanfall for about 30mins and watched one of the kids play The Witcher for a bit. It looked pretty decent overall, pretty close to the PS4. I definitely noticed a resolution deficit (especially Titanfall). The OS actually looked better than I was expecting but not quite as snappy as I would expect.

Didn't you get an Xbox One fairly recently? How are you finding it now after having used it for a few months? I'd be interested to hear the perspective of someone that owns both current-gen machines.

I travelled up to my sister's house a few months ago and my nephews have an Xbox One, I played Titanfall for about 30mins and watched one of the kids play The Witcher for a bit. It looked pretty decent overall, pretty close to the PS4. I definitely noticed a resolution deficit (especially Titanfall). The OS actually looked better than I was expecting but not quite as snappy as I would expect.

Ya, a few months now. Probably not a wise purchase since I don't have time to play any extra games. I'm picking up a used Kinect this weekend from my friend. I'm not a Halo guy but got MCC free. I picked up Ryse, DR3, SO and FM5 came with the console. Time is the real issue, I just forget to ever turn it on and my kids never touch it, though the Kinect will be good for dancing games.

Probably nothing too it and feels like there's another thread about this? But anyway Product VP of Oculus said they could do Oculus on XBO...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-oculus-rift-support-discussed-but-its-not/1100-6430915/

The prospect of the Xbox One offering support for the Oculus Rift has been discussed, but it's not something that is close to happening, Oculus product VP Nate Mitchell has revealed.

"It has been a conversation, but I can say we're not so close," he told Polygon when asked about an Xbox One-compatible Rift,reiterating previous statements. This is due in part to the difficulty in "deliver[ing] a great experience reliably on Windows." Adding Xbox One (or any other platform, including OS X or Linux) would complicate things before the Rift has had a chance to become established on Windows PCs.
"No one is really thinking right now about bringing the Rift to a console, especially when the spec is so different from what we're targeting right now," Mitchell said

Mitchell went on to explain that it isn't a matter of the Xbox One not having enough horsepower to support VR--Gear VR runs off a Samsung phone--it's just a different set of challenges.

"That's the thing, you can absolutely deliver a great VR experience on Xbox One; what I should say is with the hardware that's in the Xbox One," Mitchell said in response to a question about the Xbox One being powerful enough. "We're not really focused on it right now. It really depends on the content you want to put there."

I'm guessing realistically the Microsoft guys will basically see how PS VR goes over, if it's some smash hit then XBO might get Oculus support is my bet.

The first of the new bundles...

xboxone_1tbconsole_riseofthetombraider_us_can_groupshot_rgb.png

• 1TB hard drive, so fans can play and store more games than ever
  • Full-game download of the highly anticipated and Holiday 2015 Xbox exclusive Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • The exclusive Tactical Survival Kit Content Pack, which contains a new outfit and weapon skin for Lara
  • Full-game download of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, the HD remake of 2013’s critically acclaimed and award-winning Tomb Raider

For $399. They did say that bundles announced this week will start at $349. So it looks like we'll get another value bundle to go with the Gears bundle some time this week. Will be interesting to know if it will be 1TB, but suspect not since it should have a game included.

EDIT: Forgot the source URL.

Tommy McClain

Xbox One is getting an all new dash with Windows 10, Cortana, and BC this year. That make over is just part of the big picture. Next year Xbox One will turn into an all-digital, 16nm, console/PC-streaming device for Holiday '16.

Don't think anything will really change in the Xbox One vs. PS4 competition until then.

All-digital Xbox One mini will attract a new audience (Apple TV) and give Xbox One a major sales boost at its sub-$299 price point.

Likely, Xbox One digital and NX (disc-less) will release in the same quarter giving disruption to PS4 and forcing Sony into the all-digital transition as well.

why sony will be forced if they can offer disk and digital, and dominate both with the same console?

Well one reason is size. Sony fans have stressed that the smaller ps4 is a huge sale factor over the larger xbox one.

If MS is abled to cut out a third of the xbox one's size by just removing optical disc , let alone further size reductions by moving to 16nm chips it could remove a selling point for the ps4.

Demontage-teardown-xbox-one-12-1024x786.jpg

You remove the bluray drive and get almost half the size of the console back judging by that picture. You also reduce the size of the APU and since your not increasing clocks speeds or unit counts a 16nm APU should run much cooler and use less power. So you can even put a smaller heatsink / fan on it.

You would get a very small DD only xbox one.

Xbox One is getting an all new dash with Windows 10, Cortana, and BC this year. That make over is just part of the big picture. Next year Xbox One will turn into an all-digital, 16nm, console/PC-streaming device for Holiday '16.

Don't think anything will really change in the Xbox One vs. PS4 competition until then.

All-digital Xbox One mini will attract a new audience (Apple TV) and give Xbox One a major sales boost at its sub-$299 price point.

Likely, Xbox One digital and NX (disc-less) will release in the same quarter giving disruption to PS4 and forcing Sony into the all-digital transition as well.
That's a lot of wild predictions. We'll have to revisit them... later...

You should have a look at the size of the XB1 motherboard before imagining an Apple-TV style of device. Also have a look at the the fate of consoles revisions which removed physical media, the gamers reactions to forced online DRM, and the current digital/retail market figures which are still 80% to 85% disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back