News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are not trying to reach the mainstream, just the hardcore. The question is how many XBox hardcore are left who do not own a console or want a second one? This system is probably just high margin gravy, they probably make $100 off it.

The Elite controller is $150 and it has a hybrid SSD. If you want an Elite controller and a bigger drive, it's a better deal than the base bundle.

Ooops, missed that this is with the $150 controller. So for the non-pro, maybe swap it with the new controller and release it at that difference in price ~$100 at about $399. Actually that still sounds pretty high to me.

With the pro-controller now factored in, I'd pay $350 (maybe a little bit more) for it. My skills are so lame that a controller jump from the standard to this one would hardly make a difference.

Edit: I'm frugal :)

The bundle is for the niche that's been paying for modded controllers for COD. I can't remember the names of the services, but you mail your controller in and they mod it for you. It isn't cheap. So the $150 price might be a deal for those people. If you have no interest in that controller, the bundle doesn't not make any sense for you.

Wonder how they will manage the SSD partition or even how much flash there is. If it's 8GB, I wonder if they are just doing this to remove the NAND on the mobo.

No, they should just keep adding more and more layers of cache on top of the HDD - the more exotic the better.

Xbox One Elite Bundle:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.319986300?tduid=(fe22595b48d7c43af23615695a25d6fa)(256380)(2459594)(te1Fq2FCseg-wZjxxkC0POoLOlKUzkf8sg)()

http://majornelson.com/2015/08/31/new-xbox-one-elite-bundle-and-lunar-white-wireless-controller/

• 1TB solid state hybrid drive Xbox One console1
  • Xbox One Elite wireless controller
$499

"The Xbox One Elite Bundle will be available worldwide starting November for $499 USD ERP. In the U.S., for the month of November starting Tuesday, Nov. 3, the bundle will be exclusively available at GameStop and Microsoft Stores"

Image:

https://xboxmajornelson.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/elite-bundle_groupshot_rgb.png?w=650&h=309

"We’re also pleased to announce the Xbox One Special Edition Lunar White Wireless Controller. This new controller includes all the updated features of the standard Xbox One Wireless Controller and adds a white and gold color scheme and improved grip texture for more control and comfort. In the U.S., the Xbox One Special Edition Lunar White Wireless Controller will be exclusively available at GameStop starting late September for $64.99 USD ERP."

https://xboxmajornelson.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/lunar-white-controller.png?w=550&h=365

Hybrid drive? Neat. I always wished somebody would do an "Elite" console with an SSD since years ago. This is probably the first feasible step

I really like this whole "Elite" console idea and always have, I will be interested in how well it sells.

But no game at all? That's not very elite, that's just damn cheap. In keeping with the "Elite" idea, it should come with something crazy like 3 free games (say Forza 6, MCC collection, Gears UE) currently (for the same $499). Or at LEAST two free games. MS missed the boat at that part.

DF needs to do some loading testing with the Hybrid drive...see what in-game benefits exist.

I thought I seen a 1TB Seagate with 16GB SSD cache, but checking Seagate's site I could only find 8GB. Like AlNets suggested they may be doing this to remove the 8gb NAND onboard, but then wouldn't the drive need an additional 8gb to get the suggested 20% increase in performance? Still can't believe they're not making the drive user-removable.

Tommy McClain

Wonder how they will manage the SSD partition or even how much flash there is. If it's 8GB, I wonder if they are just doing this to remove the NAND on the mobo.

I doubt it. If the 8GB of Flash on the MB acts similar to the flash on a SSHD drive then any external HD will benefit. Remove it and you limit external drives to hybrids or SSDs. Not really consumer friendly as it basically a step backwards in terms of performance.

Last edited:
I doubt it. If the 8GB of Flash on the MB acts similar to the flash on a SSHD drive then any external HD will benefit. Remove it and you limit external drives to hybrids or SSDs. Not really consumer friendly as it basically a step backwards in terms of performance.
hm... actually, what's the speed rating for the mobo flash? Never checked.

hm... actually, what's the speed rating for the mobo flash? Never checked.

Don't know. We also lack any real info on what actually ends up in NAND. I recall it being mentioned that its mostly meant for the OS and not the games and apps. But each game is packaged with in its own OS.

Last edited:
I thought I seen a 1TB Seagate with 16GB SSD cache, but checking Seagate's site I could only find 8GB. Like AlNets suggested they may be doing this to remove the 8gb NAND onboard, but then wouldn't the drive need an additional 8gb to get the suggested 20% increase in performance? Still can't believe they're not making the drive user-removable.

Tommy McClain

The 3.5" drives have different cache I believe and just saw they do an "enterprise" drive with 32gb

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_enterprise_turbo_sshd_review

I think its more likely its a stock drive and just marketing fluff tho, i doubt they have altered the firmware of a drive that seriously especially when the current firmwares seem to just work on a most frequently accessed lba being stored with almost zero extra logic. Simple and effective, its read alot so cache it.

If they want to improve performance a focus on the install millennia would be nice.

I think Apple have the right idea with the Fusion drive setup, this is simply decoupled platter and SSD drives with the storage of each virtualised and the filesystem abstracting read/writes across both with the filesystem determining what should goes where based on what is accessed the most. The nice thing is that you need don't to buy an Apple drive you can just buy any HDD and SSD and setup them up in a fusion configuration so you get complete control of size of both drives.

8Gb of cheap NAND sounds of questionable value performance-wise but a fast 128/256/512Gb SSD coupled with the massive storage of a platter is the best of both worlds. Speaking from experience here.

Maybe for the next generation of consoles! :yep2:

Quick google and Fusion drive seems an evolution of Intel smart response with more bells and whistles and better use of a larger ssd, not surprising as one seems designed to speed up netbooks and the other workstations, but a software solution sounds far more likely than using a single large ssd.

Ps4 manages to "install" and play from bluray quite quickly, i can only assume the same from hdd to ssd would be possible and quite nice.

Didn't you hear? Technologies don't count until Apple implements them.
They are only superficially similar. Intel's solution is limited to RAID configurations and requires hardware support in the chipset. Apple's solution is heavily based on Hystor and not limited to RAID and is entirely managed by software.

Similar goal, very different technologies.

Thanks Scott. I found this on Reddit comparing the dashboard announced at E3 & the current version...

mDJqv3X.jpg

Looks like it's slowly getting refined. I'll opt-in when they ask me. But since I haven't provided a whole lot of feedback in the past I'm not too hopeful that I will get in the first couple of waves.

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back