News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He says some games, not very enthusiastic and talks about Cortana. That's what's left of Kinect..., voice commands and the odd game, I think.

Even Phil Spencer in the interview that @rokkerkory shared when asked about the new interface (I went to the segment rokkerkory talked about), if the new interface was about Windows 10 and the use of Kinect, completely ditched the Kinect part and didn't mention Kinect at all, only said that it was all about the speed.

Because of the internet push back. The fanboys on forums and on blogs have made the Kinect a dirty word and if you look at a lot of them they are trying to attach it to hololens. It be like trying to tie the failure of 3 eyetoys to the chances of Morpheus taking off.

Because of the internet push back.
Pffft. Kinect sold >24 million, the best selling console peripheral ever. you think MS turned their back on that because a few thousand close-minded net geeks kicked up a stink? If there was money in it, MS would be supporting it. As an interface it just fizzled out, like Wii. MS found themselves unable to craft meaningful game experiences and couldn't get the interest from third parties to support it either. Now MS have basically given up completely.

They've no-one to blame but themselves, either for producing a product no-one wants, or not supporting the product to make it worth buying. It might get a second wind when XB1+Kinect is cheap and can attract a different audience to the console core gamer.

I disagree , its very easy for popular culture to turn against something and then there is no going back. There is nothing that MS could do to revive Kinect because whatever they release for it will be bashed even if it is an amazing title.

Copout victim mentality =! Reality.

Because of the internet push back. The fanboys on forums and on blogs have made the Kinect a dirty word and if you look at a lot of them they are trying to attach it to hololens. It be like trying to tie the failure of 3 eyetoys to the chances of Morpheus taking off.

MS has a pretty poor record of supporting peripherals, I don't think you need to look beyond the change in direction/need to get the XB1 cost down for motivation. That said there are some decent Kinect titles and hopefully we'll see more, the article I posted suggest there is some development happening which is a good thing.

Copout victim mentality =! Reality.
not really. I've already linked in the past to engadgets live blogs for the events. You can see the bias quite easily. When there was cheering in the MS conference it was done by ms shills , when there was cheering during the sony one it was genuine applause .

I disagree , its very easy for popular culture to turn against something and then there is no going back.
You're referencing popular culture with the vocal minority. Popular culture means the millions of twitter users and Facebook posters and friends chatting, not a few gaming forums and comments on gaming articles. GAF != 24 million Kinect owners. The vast majority of people who bought a Kinect for 360 have no following of the consoles or the internet gaming media. They'll read about Kinect and Wii and other jollies in their general press, and be swayed by other users and adverts. 10,000 angry GAFfers saying MS has deserted them has absolutely no impact on the interest of millions of Joe and Jenny Mainstreams, and they'd happily buy Kinect despite the gamers' rants on the internet if the product was what they wanted.

How much internet love was there from gamers for Wii? I remember lots of us gamers complaining that it was gimmicky and the console hardware was horrifically underpowered. Did Joe and Jenny Mainstream avoid Wii as a result? Nope, because it was the right product at the right price for them.

The reason XB1+Kinect isn't selling en masse is because it's not the right product at the right price. It's expensive and the software offerings aren't enough, perhaps because the initial interest has been and gone and there's no more interest possible, or perhaps because there are fabulous experiences possible with Kinect but no-one's bothering to make them.

Either way, there's no recourse for victim culture in big business. MS's fortunes are not being controlled by a few thousands fanboys. If they are, MS aren't in any way a competent business.

I disagree , its very easy for popular culture to turn against something and then there is no going back. There is nothing that MS could do to revive Kinect because whatever they release for it will be bashed even if it is an amazing title.

I'm going to have to disagree with your general premise, considering that MS is now reversing all of their previous reversals and is slowly transition the XB1 to their original vision as best they can. Whether or not that includes Kinect in the future remains to be seen. Especially because as of right now, the best use of Kinect is for voice commands, and you don't need $150 peripheral for that.

If they ever did get Kinect working so you could use your 60 inch TV and XB1 like a Surface touch screen, then cool. But they've already essentially said there's no gaming application for Kinect and they've been trying to find one since the original Kinect took off. Unfortunately, it doesn't even work accurately enough to turn your TV into a big tablet touchscreen.

"Xbox, On". "Xbox, Pause" "Xbox, Play" are awesome though. I hate it when I'm watching my HTPC instead of Netflix or Sling on the XB1 and I actually have to look around and search for the remote after yelling "Xbox, Pause" three times in increasingly louder voices before realizing the XB1 isn't actually the output device.

Summer of Arcade returns... kinda... it's called Summer Spotlight & they're not focusing on just small arcade/indie titles. They've only announced 3 titles: King's Quest, Smite & Toy Soldiers: War Chest. Other games & details on release date are not known yet.

Looking forward to King's Quest. The first 16-color game I ever played on the PC. Can't wait!

Tommy McClain

Yeah it's a beaut but I am not an elite gamer at least not for $150... if it ever goes on sale under $100 then I will buy one.

I haven't been an elite gamer since the early 2000's, but I'll be getting one. I spent 150 USD on my keyboard. 100 USD on my mouse. I don't mind spending 150 USD for a quality controller that is likely to last longer than the console it was built for.

What's interesting about the elite controller is that they've replaced all of the plastic moving parts with metallic parts and thus the controller will be noticeably heavier than the standard controller. That was done to increase the life of the device before there was noticeable degradation in performance. When some professional gamer's were asked about the device, it was interesting to find out that many of them go through a controller every 2-3 months because performance and precision degrades noticeably around that time due to the increased use and stress they go through for professional competition.

For me, one of the biggest things will be having the ability to alter the response curve of the analog controllers. I have yet to use a console controller that had an analog stick that had a comfortable reponse curve. The other being able to rebind any button even if a game doesn't support rebinding buttons.

That last bit makes the controller priceless to me. Even on PC not all games that allow a controller allow rebinding buttons in the controller. And nothing, thus far, allows to change how an analog stick performs.

150, IMO, is cheap for that. The extra precision in building each controller and the extra longevity due to the replacing all key parts with metallic parts is just a bonus. Heck they went as far as to put Teflon on the ball of the analog stick so that if it rubs against the shell of the device, that there is as little friction as possible. And towards that end, they also used metal on that part of the controller casing that might come into contact with the ball to further reduce any friction in order to ensure as consistent performance as possible. For me, I likely won't be able to notice. :p But the attention to detail is nice.

Of course, I'll still be waiting for reviews just to make sure it behaves as the MS engineer is claiming.

Regards,
SB

Have one setup without Kinect, and then main setup with it. Main setup went down (stupid iris controller), so we switched to the kinectless room. Wife was miserable, hated it. I found myself upset that certain things were manual - I had to get up to adjust the volume! How 50's! I have lost 1.27# though. ;)

I do not like it when certain apps make Kinect harder to use or remove commands. It is such a great feature and when you are missing it you notice within a few mins. Guess we are buying another one, are 360 kinects worth anything? (maybe I can sell those off)

I haven't been an elite gamer since the early 2000's, but I'll be getting one. I spent 150 USD on my keyboard. 100 USD on my mouse. I don't mind spending 150 USD for a quality controller that is likely to last longer than the console it was built for.

What's interesting about the elite controller is that they've replaced all of the plastic moving parts with metallic parts and thus the controller will be noticeably heavier than the standard controller. That was done to increase the life of the device before there was noticeable degradation in performance. When some professional gamer's were asked about the device, it was interesting to find out that many of them go through a controller every 2-3 months because performance and precision degrades noticeably around that time due to the increased use and stress they go through for professional competition.

For me, one of the biggest things will be having the ability to alter the response curve of the analog controllers. I have yet to use a console controller that had an analog stick that had a comfortable reponse curve. The other being able to rebind any button even if a game doesn't support rebinding buttons.

That last bit makes the controller priceless to me. Even on PC not all games that allow a controller allow rebinding buttons in the controller. And nothing, thus far, allows to change how an analog stick performs.

150, IMO, is cheap for that. The extra precision in building each controller and the extra longevity due to the replacing all key parts with metallic parts is just a bonus. Heck they went as far as to put Teflon on the ball of the analog stick so that if it rubs against the shell of the device, that there is as little friction as possible. And towards that end, they also used metal on that part of the controller casing that might come into contact with the ball to further reduce any friction in order to ensure as consistent performance as possible. For me, I likely won't be able to notice. :p But the attention to detail is nice.

Of course, I'll still be waiting for reviews just to make sure it behaves as the MS engineer is claiming.

Regards,
SB

Yeah I agree it has really good features and benefits. If I was to have the ability to game every single day or even a few times a week, I'd totally consider it. It looks really really cool and built nicely too. I think the controller is out close to the time Halo 5 is out, if both are stellar then I might have to bite the bullet.

Just another note on BC, in case nobody realizes.

You can either log on your 360 and go into the game store, or you can go onto Xbox.com and go to the 360 store and purchase digital copies of 360 games.

These games will then be playable on your XB1 (provided they're on the list, and you are a current preview member, yada yada yada).

360 games in the store are often hugely discounted. I never cared before, because I stopped purchasing 360 games after GTA V. But I'd often look at the list of 360 games in the Deals with Gold monthly releases and think "Gee, I wish they'd done that a year ago.. I'd have liked to play that." But I'm sure not going to do it and then load up my 360 wind turbine and then have to switch consoles and controllers to play something different.

Now? If I can get a AAA 360 game that I never played before for $10 or so and play it on the XB1? All the while being able to chat/message with friends on both the 360 and the XB1? Sure, I'd probably do that a time or two.

Also, since it's being emulated and run in software just like any other app, does the XB1 pause and resume feature work on the 360 emulator? Does this now allow the pause and resume feature to cross platforms? Hmmm..... Azbat! Get home and try that out!

I guess I should trade my Rare games in, since they will be on the Rare Collection anyway. I wonder if they have any value? Either went up due to BC, or down with the collection. LOL

Edit: My idea was merged into this Uservoice thread, which is now the 2nd most requested for Xbox Store.

Last edited:
I guess I should trade my Rare games in, since they will be on the Rare Collection anyway. I wonder if they have any value? Either went up due to BC, or down with the collection. LOL

Edit: My idea was merged into this Uservoice thread, which is now the 2nd most requested for Xbox Store.
Nice idea, voted.
Ha! MS is apparently selling the white MCC bundle at a $50 premium.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store.../categoryID.64724200?icid=XboxOne_ModuleF_XBO

You get a free game with both the black and white MCC bundles, but the black bundle also includes a $50 gift card.

Supply, demand, you know the old friends.

Summer of Arcade returns... kinda... it's called Summer Spotlight & they're not focusing on just small arcade/indie titles. They've only announced 3 titles: King's Quest, Smite & Toy Soldiers: War Chest. Other games & details on release date are not known yet.

Looking forward to King's Quest. The first 16-color game I ever played on the PC. Can't wait!

Tommy McClain
Some interesting news as of late. I want King's Quest the most. I have the contemporary games at GoG and anything tht reminds me of Heroes of Might and Magic is always welcome in my book.

Shifty is right, imho. I had grand ideas for Kinect, shared them here. I trust on it at first, my only complain being that it wasn't an universal peripheral, even if you included one with every Xbox One. It's not so straightforward to set up, and if you don't have enough space -the main problem with its inexistent universalism- there is nothing you can do about it, even if it worked like a charm. I just let it go in the end.

Have one setup without Kinect, and then main setup with it. Main setup went down (stupid iris controller), so we switched to the kinectless room. Wife was miserable, hated it. I found myself upset that certain things were manual - I had to get up to adjust the volume! How 50's! I have lost 1.27# though. ;)

I do not like it when certain apps make Kinect harder to use or remove commands. It is such a great feature and when you are missing it you notice within a few mins. Guess we are buying another one, are 360 kinects worth anything? (maybe I can sell those off)
I have a XOne Kinect at home, taking dust in a box, and the issue is that it's when you have to use the controller when you just notice how the UI is built around Kinect. But that's going to change. Miss the Xbox mute, volume up and volume down features, though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back