News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the XB1 with Kinect came with 1.8 TFLOP gpu and a $400 price tag, no one would be talking about how much Kinect is a failure.
Shifty is right, imho. I had grand ideas for Kinect, shared them here. I trust on it at first, my only complain being that it wasn't an universal peripheral, even if you included one with every Xbox One. It's not so straightforward to set up, and if you don't have enough space -the main problem with its inexistent universalism- there is nothing you can do about it, even if it worked like a charm. I just let it go in the end.

I have a XOne Kinect at home, taking dust in a box, and the issue is that it's when you have to use the controller when you just notice how the UI is built around Kinect. But that's going to change. Miss the Xbox mute, volume up and volume down features, though

Then why have it collect dust in a box? Exactly what prevents you from using it? No space above your TV? Your motivation for using Kinect had little to do with its feature set available at launch and more to do with your expectation of future uses?

I use it for the simple ability of auto login. I don't want to manually login everytime I turn on the console, yet allowing the console to auto login at start up is a no no because of my son. It may not be worth the premium MS requires of it, but since I own one I enjoy it for what it does offer.

I have a XOne Kinect at home, taking dust in a box, and the issue is that it's when you have to use the controller when you just notice how the UI is built around Kinect.
You can solve part of this problem by running a hoover over it occasionally. :yep2:

If the XB1 with Kinect came with 1.8 TFLOP gpu and a $400 price tag, no one would be talking about how much Kinect is a failure.

Then why have it collect dust in a box? Exactly what prevents you from using it? No space above your TV? Your motivation for using Kinect had little to do with its feature set available at launch and more to do with your expectation of future uses?

I use it for the simple ability of auto login. I don't want to manually login everytime I turn on the console, yet allowing the console to auto login at start up is a no no because of my son. It may not be worth the premium MS requires of it, but since I own one I enjoy it for what it does offer.
The same energy you focus on to believe on something can turn back to you and trample on you. I was so disappointed that I promised myself not to use Kinect anymore if I can help it. I could leave the Xbox One and continue with my X360, but then I am high % green, and the console is improving by the day. I lack the space, always did (but I still dreamt about Kinect being useful) too, I don't want just to talk to Kinect

Also, since it's being emulated and run in software just like any other app, does the XB1 pause and resume feature work on the 360 emulator? Does this now allow the pause and resume feature to cross platforms? Hmmm..... Azbat! Get home and try that out!

It does work, but they recommend saving your 360 games often since there might be problems when going back & forth between the 360 game & the XB1 dash. Also, all cloud saves are done on exit of the 360 game. So if you're using that and then you get booted out of the game before properly exiting it, then you could lose your most recent save. That would be a bummer.

Tommy McClain

^@ VR - Right, but I want more than a crappy fake clean living room for VR! If I wanted one of those I would not have twin babies allowed in that room!! ROFL
I wonder if they will support VR in a more normal sense, and I am still confused about if a Win10 box is needed in addition to the X1. I guess I have not read enough on that subject.

Anyway, just playing some Forza 5 streamed to a PC, made 4-laps before I realized that this particular X1 was still running wireless. Was also the first time I tried the controller running into the PC. So aside from not staying on the track all that much and missing my apex's it was not a horrible experience. Time to go figure out why I never wired this console up.... Streaming Massive Chalice to the Surface last night was actually a really good experience, other than trying to figure out where to hold the controller.

I think I might have to give a controller up to science and make some sort of surface controller dock - like a Wii U gamepad. :yes:

One a side note, I guess the timing on the Forza will let us lag test it. I will take a picture in a bit to see what we can see.

A couple of cool things from Reddit:

How to play 360 games on the XB1 if you are not a preview member:
For people wanting to try backwards compatibility that ain't in the preview programme, If you follow/friend somebody that is and has recently played a 360 game, Open up "popular with friends" on the dash on your Xbox one (clicking the three squares at the bottom), scroll through to a 360 game that they have played and you OWN, Click it and "view in store"

Just downloaded Geometry wars evolved and can confirm it works.

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3acbbz/play_360_games_without_being_a_preview_member/

And also this, that was posted from Youtube, a comparison of Mass Effect on the 360 vs the XB1

Probably the same as before, except instead of forcing AC on us, you get to pick your own game.

Just a guess.
Yes, that's the big deal of that offer, being able to choose a game, whatever game it is.

Microsoft have read @DSoup post and news says that if you want to have Cortana on your Xbox One you best dust off your Kinect. :)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/want-to-use-cortana-on-xbox-one-better-dust-off-that-Kinect

Forbes wrote an article titled "At E3 2015, Microsoft Left The Kinect Behind"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2015/06/19/at-e3-2015-microsoft-left-the-kinect-behind/

They accompany the article with this photo. Kudo Tsunoda has aged rather fast, I think.

640x0.jpg

LOS ANGELES, CA – JUNE 6: The Kinect back in 2011: happier times. (Photo by David McNew/Getty Images)

eh I think you guys are being to hasty. Kinect is required for Cortana and all those commands in the new UI they are showing off . I bet we also see a few small party games for it come out and maybe a price drop for the stand alone to $100

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer On PC Gaming: "As a gamer I play games on PC... I want to be able to play the games where I want to play them... I want to give people a choice."

Phil Spencer said in a recent interview he wants to give people a choice, to play games on the Xbox One and the PC.

http://gamingbolt.com/phil-spencer-says-he-wants-to-give-gamers-the-choice-to-play-how-they-want

He said this in the video that @rokkerkory has shared before.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjh1Uo_xaSQ&feature=youtu.be&t=12417 (at 3:26:57 in in the video, the link takes you directly to the moment the conversation takes place)

“As a gamer I play games on PC… I want to be able to play the games where I want to play them… I want to give people a choice.”

“There’s this kind of back channel frankly I don’t really subscribe to of you need to keep people from playing in certain places, somehow that’s the answer…

I want to give people choice and with Xbox I want it to be the best TV gaming experience you can have but frankly if I’m not on my TV and I’m on my laptop, and want to play killer instinct, I want to play gear, I want to play fable, I should be able to do that and to try force people to buy something by excluding their choice.”

Is he hinting at a PC-Xbox fusion? I gotta admit I am one of those Phil Spencer defines as being in the back channel theory of keeping people from playing games on other platforms so they envy you.

But then I am not a Shifty, a Maxine Caulfield or a Phil Spencer, I don't have their common sense.

Last edited:
I don't see anything new in those comments.

Most of us read his previous comments along identical lines and understood what his vision is. A hardware agnostic Xbox experience. It's pretty clear that is the ultimate goal. How far along MS is to reaching that goal, and how big of a part the W10 roll-out plays in that roll are really the only questions up left for rational discussion.

I don't see anything new in those comments.

Most of us read his previous comments along identical lines and understood what his vision is. A hardware agnostic Xbox experience. It's pretty clear that is the ultimate goal. How far along MS is to reaching that goal, and how big of a part the W10 roll-out plays in that roll are really the only questions up left for rational discussion.
Not certainly most of us. I read a similar theory from you, Shifty and NRP. But I am into the classic consoles = exclusives , bandwagon. And always will be. If you want to play Gran Turismo you need a PS4. If you want to play Mario, you need a Wii. Ideally, you must deprive others of playing your games so they will envy what you have and will join into your group.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back