News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite your ranting, it looks like the new Xbox One Netflix app is exactly the same interface as the one for PS4.

How would that be "despite" my ranting?

Wouldn't it be more like "many other people must have had those same thoughts, so now they've tried to standardize the app across the Xb0x and PS4"?

Considering the box doesn't even ship with Kinect anymore, there's no reason to delay release until voice control is working. They can just release the Kinect unit later in that market when they have it done.

I'm really curious to know if this is true. In all those territories that the Xb0x is just launching in now, are they even shipping the original sku or is every unit the stripped down one without Kinect?

I don't think they're even making the original sku anymore, but if these new territories are getting it, I'd clearly be incorrect.

Maybe the plan was to wait until voice was working, but it just proved too difficult so they're releasing anyway?

I think they planned to get it working and they should by all accounts be able to, at least that is what they told and promised us.

What we are seeing now is simply that Microsoft gave up on kinect and it's as good as dead. There is even less reason for developers to create anything that uses kinect now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony ends up having more voice and motion games since it's camera could become more wide spread.

In all those territories that the Xb0x is just launching in now, are they even shipping the original sku or is every unit the stripped down one without Kinect?

Google-analysing some biggest retailers in Finland.
NetAnttila: XboxOne without Kinect.
Gigantti: Earlier grey market imports have Kinect. Official new packages are without Kinect.
Verkkokauppa.com: Earlier grey market imports have Kinect. Official new packages are without Kinect. Early imports still available.
Gamestop.fi: Official new packages are without Kinect. Second-hand consoles may or may not have Kinect.

Disclaimer: Microsoft does not provide finnish locale and choosing Finland region blocks english or german speech option. People select Ireland region so they can try english speech recognition. This story applies to various tier2 countries. This is something people don't understand why its so restrictive choosing UI locale, speech recognition and marketplace region. Sure it may not work for finglish accent but let people give it a try. Some people don't have a strong accent. Patents per country?

Excellent, I just hope that Sony doesn't do anything foolish like sues, because that is clearly advertising :)
Yeah, they even say as much. "We didn't have permission to run adverts for this game, but here's a fragrance, which isn't a fragrance but is an epic shooter." It wouldn't be worth Sony making a fuss, but I'm sure the lawyers would be happy to make some money.

Any word on new international XB1 owners and what the voice control situation is?

Excellent, I just hope that Sony doesn't do anything foolish like sues, because that is clearly advertising :)
I don't see how Sony could sue Microsoft, Sony's agreement will be with Activision so it is they who would need to take action through unlicensed use of Destiny's imagery / IP / whatever.

Hopefully Activision will see the funny side but this is Microsoft deliberating linking their product to Destiny so we'll have to wait and see :runaway:

I can only imagine what a mario fragrance would smell like. Mostly sewer, with a bit of oil/grease and a hint of mushroom and perfume.

Fixed!

Following the link you don't see the Xbox One with Kinect anywhere, be it on Game, Amazon, etc.

That's why I was curious as to if any of the new territories are launching with the original sku that includes Kinect, and according to whome0's (Thank you!) unscientific research, none of the ones checked do.

I don't think it exists anymore, in terms of being manufactured since MS announced the untethering of the two pieces of hardware.

But which link are you referring to? The destiny fragrance link just brings me to a static page telling me to check retailers. When I do go check Amazon, as you asked, I've found many of the original sku (including Day One editions) as well as the Titanfall bundle that includes Kinect (discounted to $469).

Considering MS is now offering the Xb0x at essentially $279 (I know.. I know.. "pack in's are not price drops"), if you buy the Madden bundle (console, plus Madden, plus extra free game for any system purchased at $399 or more between 9/7 and 9/13), if they had any hopes or plans or even any remaining dreams for Kinect, they'd have just dropped the original sku to $399.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back