News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genius. By pricing it at $50 more than the Xbox/Kinect bundle they make the bundle look more attractive in terms of value - regardless of actual utility.

Informed consumers/gamers will know better but I think informed purchasers are probably in the minority.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

Umm, isn't this exactly the way Kinect 1 pricing went? It started at 149 I'm 99% certain. With a $100 SKU price difference with 360.

People are acting like they expected something different than the past 5 years because reasons.

Umm, isn't this exactly the way Kinect 1 pricing went? It started at 149 I'm 99% certain. With a $100 SKU price difference with 360. People are acting like they expected something different than the past 5 years because reasons.

The difference is now, 5 years later, we know that the technology is still limited in application. 5 years ago it hinted at the promise of interesting possibilities; I doubt there will be many people as optimistic about Kinect 2 as the original Kinect because we have years of history to reflect on.

Oh MS are such clever bastards. They are selling it for $149 to create a sense of value for the $499 Kinect bundle ;)

I always said it was a stealth price increase, I never saw them matching $499 with the sku-less version. However, there are plenty of used K2's going for what $40-$60 depending.

The difference is now, 5 years later, we know that the technology is still limited in application. 5 years ago it hinted at the promise of interesting possibilities; I doubt there will be many people as optimistic about Kinect 2 as the original Kinect because we have years of history to reflect on.

They could always just sell us a mic array for $75!

People are acting like they expected something different than the past 5 years because reasons.
As DSoup says, what's the value justification for $150? Why does MS think anyone's going to pony up $150 for Kinect2? What's the price/demand graph look like and why is this price-point the one that's going to maximise profits for the platform? Suggestions probably point to trying to make the more profitable Kinect SKU (if it is more profitable) look better value and sell a higher proportion.

So yes, it's because of numerous, legitimate reasons, despite your phrasing that these can be fobbed off as irrelevant.

If Sony dropped the DS4 as a standard part of console, they wouldnt suddenly gain the flexibilty to sell the PS4 for $329.00.

Kinect v2 is an accessory now, which means expectation of profits are higher across the board. Retailers are going to want the level of profit margin that accessories usually provide. And in all probability, so does MS since its no longer about making kinect a standard across the Xbox one ecosystem.

Kinect 2 pricing makes perfect sense. People who were yelling and screaming about not wanting Kinect 2 would need to pay more if they changed their mind after having purchased a Kinectless console. People who want Kinect but don't already have a console would buy the Kinect bundle.

There's still one problem though. The special white console which doesn't come with kinect. MS really needs to release a white kinect bundle.

Kinect 2 pricing makes perfect sense. People who were yelling and screaming about not wanting Kinect 2 would need to pay more if they changed their mind after having purchased a Kinectless console. People who want Kinect but don't already have a console would buy the Kinect bundle.

There's still one problem though. The special white console which doesn't come with kinect. MS really needs to release a white kinect bundle.

Well, enough people have sold their Kinect2s to trading companies since last year (UK) that you're actually able to pick them up for £26 secondhand.

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SXB1OFFKIN2

This company has managed to purchase quite a collection by buying them from comsumers for only £6! :???:

Ya, the smart thing to do is buy a new Kinectless SKU and add a second hand one that was dumped for pennies on the dollar. If demand is low, price will reflect it on the second hand market.

As DSoup says, what's the value justification for $150? Why does MS think anyone's going to pony up $150 for Kinect2? What's the price/demand graph look like and why is this price-point the one that's going to maximise profits for the platform? Suggestions probably point to trying to make the more profitable Kinect SKU (if it is more profitable) look better value and sell a higher proportion.

So yes, it's because of numerous, legitimate reasons, despite your phrasing that these can be fobbed off as irrelevant.

From a pure cost standpoint it has to cost more than the price between the XBOX skus - separate packaging, separate shipping, separate handling, stocking, etc. etc. all mean that this almost certainly has to be higher priced than the $100 difference.

Whether there are market drivers at this point in time is another question. As the article suggests, its an easy Christmas present for a lot of folks that didn't buy in in the first place and that in itself can drive sales.

Bear in mind the article was just a loose rumour as well, with limited details. I can, for instance, easily see something like Kinect Sports Rivals being bundled to add value.

Bear in mind the article was just a loose rumour as well, with limited details. I can, for instance, easily see something like Kinect Sports Rivals being bundled to add value.

Eurogamer are reporting that it [presumably the EU package] will come with a code for Dance Central: Spotlight.

Available from 7th October.

I looked that up. Dance Central in a $10 download title with more content to purchase. If it's just the basic game, it's not much of a pack-in or added value.

Except a DS4 is compulsory to use the system, so you'd still have to buy one. Kinect is optional for XB1.

Thats irrelevant. The point being is that DS4 as an accessory is sold for way more than its cost attributes to the PS4's BOM.

Kinect as an accessory is going be burden with need to provide profit at level that Kinect as a standard feature wouldn't have experienced. The same goes for the DS4 as probably 60-70% of its MRSP as an accessory had nothing to with the cost of its manufacture, packaging or distribution. Thats mostly profit for the retailers and platform owner.

Accessories are usually the most profit laden products associated with consoles.

Okay. I didn't understand your point as originally expressed. ;) But a company can't just put a high profit on extras an expect them to sell. The product has to be worth its asking price to the consumer. Extras can command a higher profit margin, but they still need to justify the expense. The problem with external Kinect is it doesn't have much obvious use at this point, and presumably the voice control isn't a big deal to those buying the Kinectless SKU (otherwise they'd have likely bought the other one, although they may have paid less now to buy the peripheral later). Given no clear support from MS regards upcoming titles, it strikes me as a very difficult sell at $150. $150 gets you a peripheral and a small dance game. Wii Fit was pretty costly at $90 and that came with the full fitness game. I could understand $150 including 1 year's Xbox Fitness maybe, which might still be part of the deal, but even then it's expensive. The original Kinect sold so high because of the novelty and promise of things to come. Kinect 2 neither has the novelty, not the future promise looking at what's been announced.

Okay. I didn't understand your point as originally expressed. ;) But a company can't just put a high profit on extras an expect them to sell. The product has to be worth its asking price to the consumer. Extras can command a higher profit margin, but they still need to justify the expense. The problem with external Kinect is it doesn't have much obvious use at this point, and presumably the voice control isn't a big deal to those buying the Kinectless SKU (otherwise they'd have likely bought the other one, although they may have paid less now to buy the peripheral later). Given no clear support from MS regards upcoming titles, it strikes me as a very difficult sell at $150. $150 gets you a peripheral and a small dance game. Wii Fit was pretty costly at $90 and that came with the full fitness game. I could understand $150 including 1 year's Xbox Fitness maybe, which might still be part of the deal, but even then it's expensive. The original Kinect sold so high because of the novelty and promise of things to come. Kinect 2 neither has the novelty, not the future promise looking at what's been announced.

If you go down the accessory product aisle of consoles, you are going to be exposed to a bunch of overpriced products. Somehow regardless of how overpriced these products seem, they sell at a rate that provides an amount of profit that make both the retailers and platform providers comfortable.

Maybe its because while we here at B3D gawk at the prices of Kinect and $100 500 GB HDDs, plenty of console owners heavily partake in the consumption of those products.

I think the entire announcement and current price structure is set-up to help retailers move the existing Xb0x standard edition consoles they have at their $499 price tag.

People waiting to purchase a Xb0x and unsure of their desire for Kinect now know that if they think they might want it, they should go buy one of the standard editions because buying a Kinect later will cost them more. It also helps to counter weight the benefits of the bundles that have all been announced and don't include Kinect.

The message is pretty clear, if you think you might want to use Kinect, either buy the original sku or be prepared to pay more later.

It seems like a way to clear out all those unwanted $499 original skus from retailer's shelves, and let people know that if they were waiting for a price drop on those sku's, they're going to have to wait longer because they've priced the Kinect stand alone so high.

Once the chain is cleared of the original sku, the price of the Kinect will drop.

Getting better. Still pretty obtuse UI in some ways.

Media player really needs DLNA obviously. But it's coming of course. I played with it with some videos on a USB stick and seems satisfactory.

Ooh, need to mess with the bandwidth counter too. Just a curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back