News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is it obtuse?

Just seem like you have to dig around to find everything. Some of it is certainly just getting used to it after 360, but it can be frustrating, you basically have to google where to find things like input a code, where different settings are, etc. Once you google and start to remember the key ones it gets better of course over time. And there's no more pulling up the guide for example.

IMO for example, "settings" tile is pretty key, and it needs to be on the home page permanently by default. Instead if you want that you have to pin it. The ability to pin shouldn't substitute for better design in the first place.

I'll give you another example, the other day NHL 15 demo comes out and Larry tweets search "NHL" to find it. Now first of all that's odd, a search engine is supposed to be general, not a know the keyword and input it system. But I'm pretty sure, at least for me, searching even "NHL 15" instead of NHL doesn't find the demo. It's just incredibly stupid. On Xbox.com, searching (many combinations) just didn't bring up the demo. So I specifically fire up smartglass, on my stupid tiny phone, for the first time in a year, just to find the demo. Also does not find it at all for whatever reason. Finally the magic combination is actually searching NHL on my Xbox. Web and smartglass are no go.

It's not strictly UI and I'm not sure what happened but boy was it frustrating. Never mind there's no clear place to go get new demos to begin with, no you have to go the roundabout way of searching for them.

I just tried searching "NHL 15 demo" on xbox.com to see what the deal is now, it comes up. Perhaps at the time I searched it just wasn't populated.

Rangers you'll probably be more at home once the new Snap Center is released. It was announced at Gamescom & said to be coming in couple of months. It's basically the Guide replacement.

Tommy McClain

From anywhere, "Xbox, go to settings "

From anywhere on the home screen, Start (hamburger button) -> settings

I can understand complaints about missing features at launch, but the basic usability of the OS is very good. I don't totally love the way the store is organized. That's maybe the biggest flaw, but the search is incredibly good. I pinned a bunch of stuff, but I've never actually loaded something from a pin. It's easier to voice command to everything directly.

From anywhere, "Xbox, go to settings "

From anywhere on the home screen, Start (hamburger button) -> settings

I can understand complaints about missing features at launch, but the basic usability of the OS is very good. I don't totally love the way the store is organized. That's maybe the biggest flaw, but the search is incredibly good. I pinned a bunch of stuff, but I've never actually loaded something from a pin. It's easier to voice command to everything directly.

I dont have my Kinect hooked up :D

as well as something to do with Sunday Ticket, whatever that is.

DirecTV has a subscription service called Sunday Ticket that lets you watch every NFL game. With the new app you can watch those games directly through the app. You won't have to have your satellite receiver connected to the Xbox One via HDMI.

Tommy McClain

The new Netflix app is weird. They totally botched voice control, and it seems like they disobey pretty much all of the UI standards, like voice commands being highlighted in green. It's ugly and not incredibly nice to navigate, even with a controller.

The new Netflix app is weird. They totally botched voice control, and it seems like they disobey pretty much all of the UI standards, like voice commands being highlighted in green. It's ugly and not incredibly nice to navigate, even with a controller.

Not really a surprise to me. The netlfix app on the PS3 was better than the one on the 360 and I think I even preferred the app on my WDTV box to that of the 360. The only plus the 360 had was for that short period of time when you could invite party members who also had netflix to watch with you and chat at the same time.

That was awesome, once that feature was removed and there wasn't a reason just to use the 360 app and I started using other apps it was pretty clear that the 360 app wasn't as intuitive as the other apps. Be it PS3 or WDTV or PC.

I really don't understand why the interfaces are difference at all, to be honest. For example, the PS3 Netflix app has this "Ask Max" thing which seems neat but is pretty much just a gimmick. I've tried it about 15 times or so and it has never come up with anything good. But it is still kinda "neat" and probably better suited for people who don't watch as many movies and TV that I do. Did Sony pay extra for this? Why isn't it available anyway?

That's probably a bad example, because there's other differences.. such as what comes up on your options list. Beyond the "Popular now" and "Recommended for" lists, after that, the lists are totally different on PS3, 360 and WDTV.

Why the information isn't the same across devices is annoying. Why is it on one I can see what actors are in the TV/Movie and on another, I can't? or I can't until I actually select that video and start to watch it?

Same goes for "recommended" viewing. The PS3 will give me totally different options than 360, based apparently on different algorithms. One takes into account actors and actresses, the other doesn't. One seems to know that I've already watched a bunch of things while the other doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, the 360 isn't in last place in all of these categories. It's just that they all are different and when I weigh the different choices, the PS3 and WDTV apps seem to be much more suitable and user friendly than the 360 app.

I can't imagine the Xb0X app is any better, considering most reports are that things like this on the Xb0x aren't even up to 360 standards.

Not really a surprise to me. The netlfix app on the PS3 was better than the one on the 360 and I think I even preferred the app on my WDTV box to that of the 360. The only plus the 360 had was for that short period of time when you could invite party members who also had netflix to watch with you and chat at the same time.

That was awesome, once that feature was removed and there wasn't a reason just to use the 360 app and I started using other apps it was pretty clear that the 360 app wasn't as intuitive as the other apps. Be it PS3 or WDTV or PC.

I really don't understand why the interfaces are difference at all, to be honest. For example, the PS3 Netflix app has this "Ask Max" thing which seems neat but is pretty much just a gimmick. I've tried it about 15 times or so and it has never come up with anything good. But it is still kinda "neat" and probably better suited for people who don't watch as many movies and TV that I do. Did Sony pay extra for this? Why isn't it available anyway?

That's probably a bad example, because there's other differences.. such as what comes up on your options list. Beyond the "Popular now" and "Recommended for" lists, after that, the lists are totally different on PS3, 360 and WDTV.

Why the information isn't the same across devices is annoying. Why is it on one I can see what actors are in the TV/Movie and on another, I can't? or I can't until I actually select that video and start to watch it?

Same goes for "recommended" viewing. The PS3 will give me totally different options than 360, based apparently on different algorithms. One takes into account actors and actresses, the other doesn't. One seems to know that I've already watched a bunch of things while the other doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, the 360 isn't in last place in all of these categories. It's just that they all are different and when I weigh the different choices, the PS3 and WDTV apps seem to be much more suitable and user friendly than the 360 app.

I can't imagine the Xb0X app is any better, considering most reports are that things like this on the Xb0x aren't even up to 360 standards.

Despite your ranting, it looks like the new Xbox One Netflix app is exactly the same interface as the one for PS4.

Despite your ranting, it looks like the new Xbox One Netflix app is exactly the same interface as the one for PS4.

They should be since the latest app update was suppose to unify the interface across all their platforms. It's one of the reasons why party watching we'll probably never return.

Tommy McClain

New markets dated http://news.xbox.com/2014/09/xbox-one-welcoming-29-new-markets-to-xbox-one

So on behalf of the entire team at Xbox I would like to welcome the following markets to the growing Xbox One community this month:

9/2: Chile and Colombia

9/4: Japan

9/5: Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates

9/15: Israel

9/23: Hong Kong, India, Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Taiwan

9/23: China

9/26: Russia

For gamers in Argentina, we’ll have more to share on our launch plans shortly. We can’t wait to see everyone playing on Xbox One very soon.

That's fast. Japan is tomorrow already...or today depending on the time difference.

Guessing these markets will not amount to much. 50k Japan too high?

Agree voice definitely is flakey... and boy do I hate this new UI... HATE!

So a few days to find out if voice control is being fully supported or not.

Microsoft has confirmed that, at least for Netherlands and the Nordic countries, voice control is not functional at launch. (I don't know about other countries.)
Which of course begs the question why European tier 2 countries have been leeching off primarily German stock during 2014 in the first place. How long can it take to change some text strings?

Considering the box doesn't even ship with Kinect anymore, there's no reason to delay release until voice control is working. They can just release the Kinect unit later in that market when they have it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back