News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, honestly I thought the Kinect-less SKU would be simply a choice for those who don't want it and widen the user base, but it's like MS stopped talking about it at all. IGN's up-at-noon have a rather brutal comment about it.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/08/21/kinects-last-hope-up-at-noon

The part I liked most about that is the guy in the middle talking about how the Kinect still offers an improved UI for navigation (even if it provides no gaming benefits), right after reading Ranger's and Scott's back and forth about the unfriendly nature of the UI, where the conclusion seems to be that Scott can navigate the menu just fine using the Kinect voice commands and Ranger has difficulty because his Kinect is no longer connected to his system.

That's why I was curious as to if any of the new territories are launching with the original sku that includes Kinect, and according to whome0's (Thank you!) unscientific research, none of the ones checked do.

I think in Finland they honored the preorders, so if you had preordered a unit with Kinect, you got it. At least this happened on some stores. Basically everything on sale now is without Kinect or older imported stock.

But which link are you referring to? The destiny fragrance link just brings me to a static page telling me to check retailers.

Microsoft seems to have taken down the original page.

Any word on new international XB1 owners and what the voice control situation is?

Finally got some time with my new toy, well to put it bluntly, it is a utter disaster :)

The voice commands are translated to danish but doesn´t work, took me a while to figure out, while i was shouting :) So, yes, there are navigational hints (in danish) that simply doesn't work. I found the menu where i could change country and language, with danish selected i could not choose english, i had to pick an english speaking country, but then i weren't able to select Denmark as my location, i haven't tested the consequences of choosing another location, what i gather is that it causes some kind of geographical limitation. So i have to navigate everything by controller, which is doable of course, but i really wanted to talk to my One :)

Impressions, it is smaller than i remembered, the kinect 2 is huge though and from the little i have played with it, it´s simply awesome (Dance Central Spotlight), i downloaded a bunch of apps and right now it is going to spend some time downloading FIFA 15 and Forza 5 :)

So far happy One day :)

I've been downloading Forza 5 for about 7 hours now. My connection is god awful lmao.

But I'm really excited to finally play it. :D

Finally got some time with my new toy, well to put it bluntly, it is a utter disaster :)

The voice commands are translated to danish but doesn´t work, took me a while to figure out, while i was shouting :) So, yes, there are navigational hints (in danish) that simply doesn't work.

Have you tried running the calibration thingy from the dash? That helped with my Xbox 360 Kinect (1). Without proper calibration it can be a bit of a crap shoot even if ur doing it rite. IIRC, Xbox One even has fancy stuff to disregard comments if it doesn't think youre attention is on it (i.e. not looking at it or the TV).

Does it even recognise when you say "Xbox Bing"?

Those navigational hints aren't really hints btw. They're commands, as in the things you have to say to get it to work. Anything else won't cut it. And shouting just confuses it, poor thing. :(

Yes, tkf, be certain to run the Kinect calibration process. It makes a vast difference in the usability.

Yes, tkf, be certain to run the Kinect calibration process. It makes a vast difference in the usability.

It's disabled when I choose Denmark, the language selection is empty in voice language. If I choose country England then I can pick English.

It's disabled when I choose Denmark, the language selection is empty in voice language. If I choose country England then I can pick English.

Run the calibration with the English settings and change back to Danish and Denmark when finished.

The calibration is just playing a bunch of music to get the feel of the sound dynamics of your gaming space. Its not language based so switching the setting before and after might work.

Without the calibration, v.2 is flakey as @!##. Plus insert a slight pause between "Xbox" and the commands. Saying "xbox" essentially turns on the voice control feature and I don't think its really needed before every commands (i've kind of conditioned myself to do it any way out of habit so I am not absolutely sure) as long the VC is active, which is denoted by the mic icon in the top right corner. "Xbox" turns its on while "stop listening" turns it off or whatever the danish equivalents are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you're calibrated, and turn your sound up louder than you'd normally have it during the calibration.

As for cadence when speaking, adding a slight pause between "Xbox" and the command is important. The other thing a lot of people do, is they start spitting out commands one after another and get mad that it doesn't work. It can be a little weird, but there is a circular indicator in the top right corner of the screen. When you issue a command it turns white. When it is ready for the next command, it will switch back to green. The way the UI is setup, the next interface has to fully load, including loading all of the onscreen voice cues before the indicator will turn green and allow the next command to be issued. Hopefully they can tweak it, but that's the way it is now. I still use it almost all of the time unless I'm playing a game. That way I can issue commands while I'm using my phone, eating, or looking around on my laptop, without messing with the controller.

There are standard voice commands that you can issue by saying, "Xbox, [command]". You can also say, "Xbox, Select" on any screen, and it will highlight all of the elements in the UI that can be activated with a voice command by showing green text. Once you have issued the "Xbox, Select" command, any green text can be spoken and the command will issue, but it does not have to be preceded with "Xbox." So, if you're on the Home screen and you say, "Xbox, Select" you can navigate to the Store by saying, "store", without preceding it with Xbox. The easiest way to explain it, is if you don't see the command on screen, you have to precede the command with "Xbox". If the command is highlighted on screen, you don't.

You don't have to yell or whisper. You should be able to speak normally. Also, for whatever reason, some people raise their voice an octave when speaking to it. I'm not sure why. I was at my bother's place, and he said it didn't work. I sat down with him and he was trying to give it commands, but he was talking like Peter Pan. I told him to try speaking to it like a normal human being and it worked. There must be some weird psychological thing that prevents some people from interacting with it correctly in terms of how they speak. Like some people shout when they're on the phone, because they subconsciously know the person they're talking to is far away. As an aside, the Kinect on Xbox 360 recognized you when you waved at it. A friend of mine came over, and I say, "Wave to the Kinect" and he says, "It's not working," but what I was seeing was the most freakshow non-wave I had ever witnessed. I went and stood beside the Kinect and asked him to wave at me and he did, and it worked.

Your best case will probably not be 100%, but it can be close to it. Mine is. I very occasionally have hiccups where it doesn't seem to hear anything for about 30 seconds, and then it'll start working again. It happens maybe once a month. Besides that, I have issues with the "Xbox On" command and "Close." Neither is used often, so it's not much of an issue, but they fail for me far more often than anything else. My window air-conditioner (somewhat loud) does lower my hit rate a little. It's in the next room, through a doorway, but it's facing Kinect directly. I guess the noise cancelling can't cut it out perfectly. They're probably 25 feet apart.

Now, if you go to use the new Netflix app, which I'm assuming is made by Netflix, it is a huge piece of shit for voice control. It looks like they carried over whatever they used on PS4, and it's junk. The video content is shown in thumbnails. When you say, "Xbox Select" to show the different commands you can issue, it will place a small banner at the bottom of each thumbnail (eg. "Play 1") to let you know which command will play each movie. Well, on a lot of the thumbnails, the banner covers the title of the movie ... The thumbnails are so small, that with the banner on top, you won't even be able to guess which movie you're looking at from the remainder of the thumbnail. Good job Netflix. The Microsoft app was kind of a turd as well, but at least navigation worked correctly.

Run the calibration with the English settings and change back to Danish and Denmark when finished.

The calibration is just playing a bunch of music to get the feel of the sound dynamics of your gaming space. Its not language based so switching the setting before and after might work.

Without the calibration, v.2 is flakey as @!##. Plus insert a slight pause between "Xbox" and the commands. Saying "xbox" essentially turns on the voice control feature and I don't think its really needed before every commands (i've kind of conditioned myself to do it any way out of habit so I am not absolutely sure) as long the VC is active, which is denoted by the mic icon in the top right corner. "Xbox" turns its on while "stop listening" turns it off or whatever the danish equivalents are.

Are you sure it works with Denmark/danish selected? There is no language selected in voice control, since there isn't any.

I am going to play with regions tomorrow.

Are you sure it works with Denmark/danish selected? There is no language selected in voice control, since there isn't any.

I am going to play with regions tomorrow.

Now everything is English, my location is Ireland and "talk" is set to English (USA)

My Xbox is finally listening to me :)
I can start twitch, Skype etc but not netflix?

Anyone know how I could be limited with my location selection?

To finish off, a weird observation, Forza was miles pr hour since I changed to Ireland it's kilometer pr hour..

Denmark is metric and uses kmh, slight mistake there?

when you started the Kinect calibration did you put your tv volume at the loudest it would go ? Once I did that trick and left it calibrating for a bit it understands me 99% of the time. It will once in awhile mistake me saying xbox volume down with xbox guide

when you started the Kinect calibration did you put your tv volume at the loudest it would go ? Once I did that trick and left it calibrating for a bit it understands me 99% of the time. It will once in awhile mistake me saying xbox volume down with xbox guide

Yeah, and it seems to pick up commands just fine, the kids were having a blast.. XBOX blablabla XBOX blablabla.. GO AWAY I AM TALKING TO MY CONSOLE PLEASE! :)

I figured I'd just drop this in here.

Xb0x + Kinect + Forza + 12 Months Live + Destiny for $499

These are the kinds of deals I was expecting on the original sku to start quite a while back. They're still fighting tooth and nail not to drop the actual price though.

And although this is from ebay, it's Newegg doing the selling.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-One-Co...-Only-12-MONTH-Live-Card-Destiny/380984471652

Actually not sure if this is any different than the other deals that have been posted now that I think about it, although this one apparently runs two days longer on ebay than the deal of getting a free game with any bundle purchase runs according to MS and this includes 12 months of live.

This is definitely one way MS is creating more and more value for x1. Wonder how long they can keep this up for ? Ultimately would one day like to see x1 completely replace DVRs.

Well, Windows 9 and Universal apps will be a huge update, whenever they land. Between now and then, it'll probably just be making sure they've covered all of the functionality from 360 as well as expanding on the media and smartglass capabilities. It does seem like eventually they'll hit a wall for really useful features.

http://majornelson.com/2014/09/08/xbox-one-system-update-preview-improvements-snap-tv-experiences/

Microsoft seems to be continuing doing a great job with OS updates.

Improved snap control, more snappable apps (friends, messages), controller button combo for recording 30 seconds of gameplay, DLNA + mkv support for the media player and friends section on home.

That snap thing was really pissing me off, i figured i was stupid and just couldn´t figure out how to do it fast and easy without the kinect.. it wasn´t me! :)

I was watching a twitch stream last night (some guy playing Destiny) while playing Forza, a good way to kill the loading time, a faster snap will be welcomed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back