News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow I see MS is turning the Xbox One into a great streamer box, even with mkv support! Something they never totally did with Xbox 360. It was pretty good, but they basically never fully supported HD streaming.

A little surprised at this, it seemed like this was something MS was never actively interested in as it doesn't really serve their revenue interests and could even be seen as aiding piracy. I'm guessing this is a Phil Spencer thing.

However I've discovered the Plex app, and running it on my Roku, I no longer have all that much need for this stuff as it handles everything very nicely. Still cool to see and many people will love it.

Another feature I was under the impression both the Xb0x and the PS4 had all along and am stunned to find out otherwise.
For people who prefer digital games like you (I am like 50/50 on that, it depends on the game) that's good news, and I don't see why the Xbox One could be like originally planned, plus like it is now, giving a choice to people on the matter.

I wonder how the Media Player will be. Will it be compatible with the original Media Center? -judging from bkilian posts on that
For now these are the full features it supports, according to Major Nelson.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/08/gamescom-new-xbox-one-features-video

Last edited by a moderator:
You will soon be able to download the official TrueAchievements App on your Xbox One!
Neat.

I noticed that on the new snap mode for Achievements has a "search for solutions" app, which just instigates a Bing search. Be good if there was an option to call this up instead.

I surely can't be the only one that noticed that none of the bundles that were announced include kinect
They are still pandering to the "core gamer" with the bundles. Look at the feature and dash updates announced with relatively little fanfair, in comparison to the noise over games at Gamescon. Seems clear that the long term vision hasn't altered much, but they are not hanging their hat on it right now.

For people who prefer digital games like you (I am like 50/50 on that, it depends on the game) that's good news, and I don't see why the Xbox One could be like originally planned, plus like it is now, giving a choice to people on the matter.

Well, considering I'm not a Steam user, "digital" to me doesn't mean "almost free", it just means available from anywhere and no disc required. The only obstacle to digital is the time and bandwidth it takes to download. You don't want games available at 12:01 at Best Buy or GameStop and 12:01 digitally available for download when the result is it's faster to run to the store to grab a physical copy than it is to start your download. So they need to be able to be pre-ordered and pre-loaded so the games are playable at 12:01. Again, this is something that should have been a launch feature for any This-Gen system.

I know there's another thread specifically for this, but what is up with the digital tv tuner only being available overseas? I would think creating one for the NA markets would be easier, not more difficult. As someone with an OTA HD antenna, it'd be nice to integrate that into the Xb0x and make use of the TV functionality rather than having to rely on additional hardware to make use of the HDMI-IN.

They are still pandering to the "core gamer" with the bundles. Look at the feature and dash updates announced with relatively little fanfair, in comparison to the noise over games at Gamescon. Seems clear that the long term vision hasn't altered much, but they are not hanging their hat on it right now.

LOL, well it is called "gamescon" :) And I'm not sure I know which "long term vision" you are referring to!

Thank you Microsoft! Now Sony will have no choice but to follow. :LOL:

Nothing but wishful thinking unfortunately. Sony has always been very daft in that sense. Don't expect miracles.

PS: I couldn't give a damn about the media player capabilities of the PS4 anymore. They missed the opportunity (for me). I've long moved on to other alternatives to watch and experience media in my livingroom. And it's not using a Sony device.

I'm reserving my excitement for XBOne .mkv support pending the audio/video codec support within that container. Subtitle and chapter support would be a bonus as would the other advanced features of .mkv.

hopefully they wont enforce nonsense DRM for playing MKV. no cinavia, no always-on codec (my xbox 360 stuck in this mode, i must online to play MP4 after i replace my RRoD 360).

it will be a nice addition if MS also add "Smooth motion" interpolation. The smooth motion on my TV is horrible compared to smooth motion using my PC. ah wishful thinkin :p

Depends on your definition of value. There's a brilliant scene in the Lego Movie (I have kids), that I think perfectly sums up the TV aspect of the Xbox One:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubgzuwB_OPQ

Now I think all that's happened with the machine since Mattrick has left has been essentially positive. I had the past two generations of Xbox, after watching the reveal of Xbox One - I cancelled my Live membership. It was such a massive disapointment to me, it's like they'd forgotten why I'd bought their machines.

Anyway, I'd rather get past that whole palaver.

I strongly think Microsoft really need some original IPs and stuff that you won't see on a Sony machine. Not copycat games, but something truely original and new.

Well, it sounds like Rare has been unshackled from making Kinect games. That's a good start.

www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/13/microsoft-discusses-the-future-of-rare

Well, it sounds like Rare has been unshackled from making Kinect games. That's a good start.
Yeah, that has massive potential. I actually loved Perfect Dark Zero, I don't care what anyone else says about that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back