News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I get to the screen where I can change how many "steps" are in the volume up/down command? I couldn't find it last night when I was looking around.

There's a better chance of all the TV programming etc becoming more relevant outside of the USA.

We don't really need to go into the mechanics of nuclear arsenal to discuss the possibility of a megaton announcement. Suffice to say a megaton announcement should be BIG and not 'foop'. A Kinect-less XB1 would be 'megaton' in being against everything XB1 is and everything MS has said about it.
That would be a disappointraton, and I would leave consoles for good. Only 3D VR could make me come back to consoles if that was the case.

Still unlikely as you say.... If it happened it would be the most worthless, absurd thing the world has ever seen.

On another note, new classic game from an era bygone is going to be released on the Xbox One, Pier Solar HD, which was a Megadrive game.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/05/pier-solar-hd-trailer-lights-up-ps4-and-xbox-one-with-genesis-st/

I hope they have something concrete about launching in other countries. I think it's embarrassing that they one year after the first e3 haven't been able to come up with a new date. They are ignoring potential buyers. As I said before If wii u sees a price drop then I will get that and move the xb1 down the buy list.

Megaton surprise...software or hardware?

If it's software I'd say a new exclusive IP for example a game based on the Infiltrator/Samaritan tech demos or something from Capcom, Crytek, etc.

If it's hardware I'd say there are a few possibilities...Nintendo licenses XBO console or something related to Amazon. XBO version 2 with forwards compatibility? New portable surface gaming tablet/phone?

Usually over-teasing goes with under-delivering.

If I were to bet on something big, I would bet on something bigger than XBox:
Direct x12 should be on ARM and X86.
Live is launching on Android and iOS

So big for me would be MSFT commited to push gaming on all their platforms as a competitive advantage:
commitment to PC putting exclusives available on both xbox and pc (download only for the latter though xbox live only)
Xbox live comes to PC
etc.
Same commitment to their ARM OS.

New management seems pretty open (I think of the Android running on low end Nokia) I wonder if they could even bring direct x12 +live to other OS than their own. May be not now though down the road, I wonder.

That ntkrl leaker on GAF said there would be Halo 3, 4 HD versions included with H2A.

That conceivably could be what MS considers "the biggest surprise ever" or whatever. Not just Halo 2 Anniversary, but Halo 3 and 4 HD ports too! Aren't you utterly shocked? At least in MS closed ecosystem they'd consider that Megaton.

On another note, new classic game from an era bygone is going to be released on the Xbox One, Pier Solar HD, which was a Megadrive game.

Wow, that game has been kicking around for a long time. Heard very mixed reviews. But hard to believe in 2014 they make their way to PS4 and Xbox One. As they originally started as a Sega Genesis homebrew, that got ported to more and more platforms as time went on.
WaterMelon is aiming for an April release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Ouya, Android, PC, Mac, and Linux. Just to honor the game's Sega roots, there will also be a Sega Dreamcast edition of the game. For those hankering for more portable options, WaterMelon president Tulio Gonclaves hinted that a Nintendo 3DS version may be in the cards as well

Now that's what you call a multiplatform. What no Neo Geo, Atari Lynx versions?

If I were to bet on something big, I would bet on something bigger than XBox:
Direct x12 should be on ARM and X86.
Live is launching on Android and iOS

So big for me would be MSFT commited to push gaming on all their platforms as a competitive advantage:
commitment to PC putting exclusives available on both xbox and pc (download only for the latter though xbox live only)
Xbox live comes to PC
etc.
Same commitment to their ARM OS.

New management seems pretty open (I think of the Android running on low end Nokia) I wonder if they could even bring direct x12 +live to other OS than their own. May be not now though down the road, I wonder.

DX12 supports\integrates Mantle.

That conceivably could be what MS considers "the biggest surprise ever" or whatever. Not just Halo 2 Anniversary, but Halo 3 and 4 HD ports too! Aren't you utterly shocked? At least in MS closed ecosystem they'd consider that Megaton.

Utterly shocked that they would think that last gen up-rezzed ports is all it takes to sell their box this coming holiday season, even then not even all the Halo games (ODST/Reach/Wars). I'd be pleasantly surprised if they'd even be able to hit 1080p60.

Now, if they put those on PC/Steam (along with CEA and working online co-op etc. and hell, even Fable Anniversary) and weren't shit ports, then it'd be a pretty big surprise considering how MS has strung along PC gamers over the years.

DX12 supports\integrates Mantle.
???

I would think one has nothing to do with the others. MST did not wait for AMD to have low level API.

COntrary to lots of people I don't think MSFT changed its mind on its direct x schedule because of Mantle, there are more important things going on.
The new management for example, declining PC sales, competitors positioning toward leveraging gaming in near future, etc.

I would bet the new managements won't have an issue pushing steamOS like devices power both by RT/phone OS and windows 8/9 if they feel like they need it. they also need to be in HDMI sticks, smart Tv. Every advantage they can leverage they will.
The lowest end of X86 could provide ps360 and above type of experience pretty soon the same applies to the highest end part of the ARM SoC offering.
They need to be as good or better than Open gl, etc. Mantle is not a threat to them at all, Google, Amazon, Apple. valve /anytime somebody use an OS that is not their own.

MSFT have acknowledged they need volume more than margins at the moment hence the cut at windows licenses fees and rumors about possible free windows licenses. They need at all costs for people to remain familiar to their products. Familiarity trumps good design intrinsic quality of a product, etc. People are adverse to things they are not familiar with, they want new things but "new" can be quite specific.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they have something concrete about launching in other countries. I think it's embarrassing that they one year after the first e3 haven't been able to come up with a new date. They are ignoring potential buyers. As I said before If wii u sees a price drop then I will get that and move the xb1 down the buy list.

Well well a strong rumour is saying that they will launch in Denmark in 2-3 weeks.. maybe they should step up the PR machine then.

Utterly shocked that they would think that last gen up-rezzed ports is all it takes to sell their box this coming holiday season, even then not even all the Halo games (ODST/Reach/Wars). I'd be pleasantly surprised if they'd even be able to hit 1080p60.

Now, if they put those on PC/Steam (along with CEA and working online co-op etc. and hell, even Fable Anniversary) and weren't shit ports, then it'd be a pretty big surprise considering how MS has strung along PC gamers over the years.

Yeah, H2A instead of Halo 5 definitely left a bit of a hole in their fall lineup imo. However at least if the rumors of HD versions of 3, 4, with H2A are true they could maybe throw them all together with some marketing dollars and do OK.

That said ntkrl also mooted Quantum Break for a fall 14 release, which would have eased the flagship sting nicely imo. However, then Famousmortimer said QB is not coming in 14, and I'd tend to believe that as videogames always take as long as possible. Also the last time they differed was on the Titanfall branded X1, ntkrl said it was coming, Mortimer heard it had been canceled, and Mortimer appeared to win that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back