News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We could get something out of left field , they are teasing Crackdown quite a lot. That could move some titels.

Aside from that if they release Halo 2,3,4 HD ports in a single $60 package that would be a pretty big seller for a lot of people. 2 and 3 were great games and 4 was a good game. Heck if they could shove in Halo 1 they could pitch it as a way to replay the series before Halo 5 releases.

I can see H2A as a first step for 343 with its next gen engine. Work out some the kinks before they tackle a new Halo. Simple HD versions of 1, 3 and 4 would be great as Game with Gold bait to get more subs.

He usually talks about new builds of X1 games on twitter. Also the question that he answered to is more toward X1 games not DX12.

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/443206976885903361

I'm not talking about DX12 games on Xbox One:

"Microsoft will show "something" for Xbox One on the DX12 conference"

"Something for Xbox One", games or something like this, a demo for cloud computing (Phil Spencer said something related), etc. "On the DX12 conference" is not the same than "DX12 on Xbox One""

Microsoft has created and registered another internal studio called Leap Experience Pioneers.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03...-first-party-studio-leap-experience-pioneers/
On March 6th Microsoft filed an application to trademark “LXP” that turned out to be the acronym of Leap Experience Pioneers, a new first party studio based in the US, as discovered by NeoGAF users Rösti and Kifimbo.
Word Mark LXP
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Game software
Mark Drawing Code (0) UNKNOWN
Serial Number 86213555
Filing Date March 6, 2014
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Microsoft Corporation CORPORATION WASHINGTON 1 Microsoft Way Redmond WASHINGTON 980526399
Description of Mark The mark consists of The letters “LXP” superimposed over an image of an astronaut.
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Further research led to discovering a dedicated page on the website of Territory Studio, that created the brand identity of the new development team. Below and above you can see the two logos:
There are also two animated versions that can be seen at the bottom of this post.
The following blurb describing the studio was also available:
Leap Experience Pioneers (LXP) are an in-house games developer for Microsoft based in the US. Although they had been in existence for some years they thought it was the right time to define their identity. Something that all parts of their business could relate to, but more importantly, be inspired by. They considered themselves pioneers (as their name suggests) and wanted to encapsulate the the spirit of fronteering Americans – combining a cowboy with an astronaut with attitude.
At the moment we don’t know what the folks at LXP are working on, which isn’t surprising considering that their existence as a studio hasn’t even been publicly announced by Microsoft. Considering the timing of the trademark filing and the usual bureaucratic times for the actual registration, it’s very possible that Microsoft is preparing to unveil their work at E3.
One thing is for sure: they definitely selected ambitious name, and I’m quite interested in seeing what exactly they’re setting out to pioneer, and if they’ll really bring forth a new leap in our gaming experience.
On March 6th Microsoft filed an application to trademark “LXP” that turned out to be the acronym of Leap Experience Pioneers, a new first party studio based in the US, as discovered by NeoGAF users

Rösti and Kifimbo.
Word Mark LXP
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Game software
Mark Drawing Code (0) UNKNOWN
Serial Number 86213555
Filing Date March 6, 2014
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Microsoft Corporation CORPORATION WASHINGTON 1 Microsoft Way Redmond WASHINGTON 980526399
Description of Mark The mark consists of The letters “LXP” superimposed over an image of an astronaut.

Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Further research led to discovering a dedicated page on the website of Territory Studio, that created the brand identity of the new development team. Below and above you can see the two logos:

There are also two animated versions that can be seen at the bottom of this post.

The following blurb describing the studio was also available:

Leap Experience Pioneers (LXP) are an in-house games developer for Microsoft based in the US. Although they had been in existence for some years they thought it was the right time to define their identity. Something that all parts of their business could relate to, but more importantly, be inspired by. They considered themselves pioneers (as their name suggests) and wanted to encapsulate the the spirit of fronteering Americans – combining a cowboy with an astronaut with attitude.

At the moment we don’t know what the folks at LXP are working on, which isn’t surprising considering that their existence as a studio hasn’t even been publicly announced by Microsoft. Considering the timing of the trademark filing and the usual bureaucratic times for the actual registration, it’s very possible that Microsoft is preparing to unveil their work at E3.

One thing is for sure: they definitely selected ambitious name, and I’m quite interested in seeing what exactly they’re setting out to pioneer, and if they’ll really bring forth a new leap in our gaming experience.

Although they had been in existence for some years they thought it was the right time to define their identity.
I wonder what they were doing before becoming astronauts crossed with cowboys? ;-)

I wonder what they were doing before becoming astronauts crossed with cowboys? ;-)
heheh, it sounds like the question of which came first, the chicken or the egg.

The answer to that is the answer to your question. :smile:

Microsoft passes on WhatsApp so it can buy Nintendo for 18 billion.

Not as crazy as it sounds. Nintendo sold 2.8 million Wii Us last fiscal year, less than one third of the 9 million they expected to sell.

Nintendo has no hardware console platform going forward. What they do have is huge mindshare in Japan, a rapidly expanding presence in China and of course mobile gaming.

Maybe not an outright merger, but a joint venture isn't unlikely, IMHO. Nintendo games on XB1 would certainly qualify as megaton news.

Cheers

At least users wouldn't get migraines with that setup.
One of their visual cortexes will physically strangle the other before then.
I didn't think about that. Do you get migraines? If so, then we are in the same boat.

I frequently get migraines, and I am not in favour of head mounts to play using VR technology, if it can be helped -if not it's a tech I don't want to pass up, but still... So something minimalist, like glasses would do the trick for people like you and I.

The monocle is even less intrusive, more minimalist.

Now that you mention it, if there was a way you could set the monocle up in a way it can make you feel the physical illusion of seeing from the SAME distance you are actually away from your TV, then you could match the viewing distance from both eyes, adjusting your monocle -how, that's a different story-.

I didn't think about that. Do you get migraines? If so, then we are in the same boat.
Eye strain, but I haven't dabbled in 3D long periods.

The monocle is even less intrusive, more minimalist.
If the goal is VR, which is meant to provide a complete representation of a game world to the brain, you want it to be intrusive. Giving one eye any reason to break from the representation independent of the other is going to mess with the automatic processes the brain uses to control the eyes and to reconcile the two images.
Goggles or glasses provide at least a mostly equivalent level of perception for both sides in terms of external stimuli and the optics for the eyeball.
Without some way of tracking the TV surface, the head, the eyes, brightness, micro-movements of the eyes, and the focus of the eye lenses, the monocle isn't going let the eye it covers see the same things or focus in the same way.

There are people who get migraines from the slight brightness difference that car windshields produce between the two sides of the face.

Eye strain, but I haven't dabbled in 3D long periods.

If the goal is VR, which is meant to provide a complete representation of a game world to the brain, you want it to be intrusive. Giving one eye any reason to break from the representation independent of the other is going to mess with the automatic processes the brain uses to control the eyes and to reconcile the two images.
Goggles or glasses provide at least a mostly equivalent level of perception for both sides in terms of external stimuli and the optics for the eyeball.
Without some way of tracking the TV surface, the head, the eyes, brightness, micro-movements of the eyes, and the focus of the eye lenses, the monocle isn't going let the eye it covers see the same things or focus in the same way.

There are people who get migraines from the slight brightness difference that car windshields produce between the two sides of the face.
Thanks for the very smart explanation, as usual. :smile2: I don't see a monocle being able to pull off convincing VR -along with your TV- especially after you mentioned your car's windshields example. It reminded me of when I broke a lens of my glasses and it was impossible to see anything, it wasn't pretty, because of the difference between what you see with each eye.

I still hope that VR could become a reality by using regular glasses. The cynic in me says that some companies care about nothing other than shock value. Using a head mounted VR device looks more "awe-inspiring" than regular glasses...

I'm not educated much on optics, but using regular glasses seems to pose some serious challenges when it comes to getting the desired light where you want it in a manner that the natural activities of the eye and brain can accept consistently. Then there is the question getting it into a form factor even close to wearable.

The distinction between AR and VR would be needed here as well. A visual input that tries its best to not conflict with the outside world or augment it as a limited addition is different than an representation that is trying to replace it.
The bigger problem is something approaching the middle, where the brain and eyes start hopping between the illusion and the truth that they are staring at a screen/mirror/hologram.
Fighting your brain, or your brain fighting itself when outside factors break the illusion is fatiguing in the best case.

Goggles are intrusive, but in doing so they keep things outside from distracting the eye from the very limited set of parameters where their illusion can be maintained. They don't give the brain a reason to change the eyes from a very unnatural level of focus and illumination, and hopefully the individual's nervous system doesn't throw a fit if the visual imputs don't match the inner ear and other senses.

Some interesting news from Rare.

Rare say that the Xbox One could last 12 years, if not more.

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/kinect_sports_rivals/news/xbox_one_could_last_12_years_rare.html

They also say that a Kinect-less Xbox One would be a real shame.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/a-...would-be-a-real-shame-says-rare/1100-6418350/

"20 years ago, I'd have a team that would be going crazy if they had this kind of technology,"

Kinect Sports Rivals will silence Xbox One critics, according to Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andyrobertson/2014/03/17/kinect-sports-rivals-xbox-one/

Some interesting news from Rare.

Rare say that the Xbox One could last 12 years, if not more.

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/kinect_sports_rivals/news/xbox_one_could_last_12_years_rare.html

They also say that a Kinect-less Xbox One would be a real shame.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/a-...would-be-a-real-shame-says-rare/1100-6418350/

Kinect Sports Rivals will silence Xbox One critics, according to Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andyrobertson/2014/03/17/kinect-sports-rivals-xbox-one/

From your link (Gamespot):

Just how much processing power does the Kinect take from the console? "Those things go down all the time, with every XDK," said Rare new technology development lead Nick Burton. "It gets less and less every time, I met with the guy that's in charge of the skeletal tracking last week, and he was like 'yeah, we've halved the cost of the skeletal tracking'. And that will continue to happen."
I think it's a good news for every one (more GPU will be available for developers), especially if it happens for sound block reservations (Kinect voice commands). Freeing up those DSPs could be useful in long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back