News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumors, flimsy yeah. of Microsoft's "biggest surprise ever" at E3

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/05/microsofts-bigger-surprise-ever-coming-at-e3/

We already knew that Microsoft’s gears are spinning in preparation of this year’s E3, but we might be in for something bigger than most think, if a report by NeoGAF user EhoaVash is to be believed.

According to EhoaVas, Summerset Mall in Troy, Michigan is holding a launch party from Titanfall at the Microsoft Store and is advertising it over the radio with the following message ”Free food, drinks and $2,000 in prizes! First 50 people in line will receive a custom Titanfall t-shirt [...] one select winner will receive a free ride and ticket to this year’s E3 to witness Microsoft’s biggest surprise ever .”

The event will be held on Monday, March 10th from 9 PM to Midnight, and will happen across several Microsoft stores in the US.

What could this “biggest surprise ever” be? Or maybe it’s just hype talk to get people pumped for the contest? I guess we’ll know at E3.

So what E3 pro-MS Megatons could we speculate on, knowing our hopes are likely to be dashed?

They sold XBox to Amazon (lolz)?

Umm, what else. For me a far fetched but slightly possible one I'd love to see is they drop Kinect, and announce a brand new $299 price.

Gameswise, Hmm, what could be huge these days? Some huge series going timed exclusive? Probably essentially impossible. Let your mind run wild...

A few good ones from forums because I'm not very creative and cant think of any:

MS buys Respawn, they become first party. (this one actually seems kind of the far fetched realistic we're going for)
GTA 6 exclusive (righhttt)
New Mass Effect trilogy exclusive to X1.
They're buying Sony
Ms buys Rockstar
XBox Two
Uncle Bill's Sex Change
Valve/Nintendo partnership (another good one)
Halo 5,6,7,8,9 & 10 out in November. (hah, internets crack me up)
Backwards Compatibility dongle for Xbox One incoming
Illumiroom? Oculus Rift, Forteleza glasses, This ties in with that developer guy who recently said he saw cool stuff from MS they dont talk about http://www.gamespot.com/articles/da...ings-coming-can-t-share-details/1100-6417975/

Microsoft is changing their names to Xbox.
Sakaguchi's new game (not big enough imo)

There's never been a megaton that's ever lived up to its name AFAIK. In fact I don't really recall any kiloton events, let alone megaton events. Every grandious, world-shaking surprise ends up 'this game is now cross platform' or 'we have some exclusive DLC'. In truth, this'll be a dull-as-ditch-water E3 like they've all become so far (man, I'm a real cynical gamer now, aren't I?!).

There's never been a megaton that's ever lived up to its name AFAIK. In fact I don't really recall any kiloton events, let alone megaton events. Every grandious, world-shaking surprise ends up 'this game is now cross platform' or 'we have some exclusive DLC'. In truth, this'll be a dull-as-ditch-water E3 like they've all become so far (man, I'm a real cynical gamer now, aren't I?!).

Not entirely true. FF13 coming to Xbox was a pretty big megaton at the time. Also surprising they managed to keep it almost entirely secret right up to the announcement somehow (I remember some rumors leaked like a few minutes before, some neogaffer noticed Gamespot changed it's FF13 page to include 360 as a platform just before the press conference I recall, but of course it was just classified as innuendo to that point).

I cant remember some others, that's the biggest one, anybody else remember some "Kilotons"?

I remember Gabe walking onstage with Sony was considered sort of big at the time. Cant recall if he dropped new product announcements or it was just the fact he made up with Sony.

Not entirely true. FF13 coming to Xbox was a pretty big megaton at the time.
That's the 'this title becoming cross-platform' level I mentioned. Which is as big as its ever gotten, and it really isn't/wasn't a world-breaker. It meant some people who'd have bought a PS just for FF could consider a 360 as well, but FF has jumped ships before and never been a franchise locked to a platform - it had just favoured PS for two generations for business reasons.

Megaton would be 'MS buys Naughty Dog' or 'MS sold to Amazon' or somesuch. Everything else is pretty mild and not deserving of the megaton nomenclature. The metaphor is of course explosives, the largest used thus far being the ~20 kilotons of the WWII nukes. A megaton is a bloody ridiculous sized explosion, or event. Nothing around E3 constitutes as much. The closest we've have to megatons in the console space has been Sony and MS's announcements of entering the business and releasing consoles. These have had significant, lasting affect on the entire industry. Everything else has been peanuts.

Even Sony showing a VR headset wouldn't count as a megaton because we expect it's coming. Maybe if they announced one at £50 we'd get excited.

So I can't see anything MS can actually do, realistically speaking. Release Illumiroom for free - that'd be megaton!

Edit: Oh, okay. You're saying there have been kiloton events. I can agree with that. The FF announcement probably was.

That's the 'this title becoming cross-platform' level I mentioned. Which is as big as its ever gotten, and it really isn't/wasn't a world-breaker. It meant some people who'd have bought a PS just for FF could consider a 360 as well, but FF has jumped ships before and never been a franchise locked to a platform - it had just favoured PS for two generations for business reasons.

Megaton would be 'MS buys Naughty Dog' or 'MS sold to Amazon' or somesuch. Everything else is pretty mild and not deserving of the megaton nomenclature. The metaphor is of course explosives, the largest used thus far being the ~20 kilotons of the WWII nukes. A megaton is a bloody ridiculous sized explosion, or event. Nothing around E3 constitutes as much. The closest we've have to megatons in the console space has been Sony and MS's announcements of entering the business and releasing consoles. These have had significant, lasting affect on the entire industry. Everything else has been peanuts.

Even Sony showing a VR headset wouldn't count as a megaton because we expect it's coming. Maybe if they announced one at £50 we'd get excited.

So I can't see anything MS can actually do, realistically speaking. Release Illumiroom for free - that'd be megaton!

Edit: Oh, okay. You're saying there have been kiloton events. I can agree with that. The FF announcement probably was.

You get roughly 50 miles of radial blast damage per kiloton (nuclear) so a megaton would, indeed, wipe out E3 and the majority of everything around it. Meaning, of course, that we'd never find out what the actual announcement or cause was. It being vaporised at the moment of inception.

My guess is either a Kinnect'less box or it's just PR smoke to try and gather as much attention as possible in the face of what could be quite an intense Sony reveal of 1st party software. And to try and make everybody forget the debacle that was last years E3.

Starting at select retailers next week in the U.S., a digital copy of Forza Motorsport 5 will be included with purchases of Xbox One for the retail price of $499.99 for a limited time. Hailed by critics and consumers alike as the best-looking and most realistic racing game of this, or any other generation, Forza Motorsport 5 has been embraced by Xbox One fans worldwide, becoming the best-selling racing game by console attach over the past decade.

Basically a free copy of Forza. Major Nelson already said on twitter it does NOT stack with the Titanfall bundle though. So you cant get both Titanfall and Forza free.

MS stepping up a little bit at a time...makes me think they may well be prepping a price cut for E3.

You get roughly 50 miles of radial blast damage per kiloton

Ahh, i've just been watching a few Nuclear videos and that doesn't sound right. A 20 Kiloton blast at Sears tower would not hurt people just 10 miles away, in fact heavy damage would be limited to 2.5 miles I think the video said (fallout another matter)

Also by your figuring very quickly a megaton blast would knock out the whole earth. 50,000 miles vs 24k miles Earth circumference.

We don't really need to go into the mechanics of nuclear arsenal to discuss the possibility of a megaton announcement. Suffice to say a megaton announcement should be BIG and not 'foop'. A Kinect-less XB1 would be 'megaton' in being against everything XB1 is and everything MS has said about it.

Naw.

MS has used its relationship with the NSA and AMD to hardcode a backdoor in all GCN based products. Allowing the XB1 to slave those devices using local cloud.

So you can take a XB1 and PS4, connected through the ethernet ports and get 16 jag cores, 30 CUs and 16 GBs of gDDR5/DDR3 of creamy goodness.

It will slave PCs too but only if they are running Linux or OSX.

"Look its a kiloton, its a megaton, No its the Xbox MegaOne!!!"

That or they will release Cortana on the Xbox One with a James Earl Jones voice option who will narrate your actions when in front of Kinect. There is a Disney rumor of a DLC Darth Vader voice upgrade, free with preorder on their next star wars game. It will threaten you with a death grip if you have a PS4 and try to use it.

We stay so entrenched in rumors, innuendos and leaks, I thinks we are immune to megatons.

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't really need to go into the mechanics of nuclear arsenal to discuss the possibility of a megaton announcement. Suffice to say a megaton announcement should be BIG and not 'foop'. A Kinect-less XB1 would be 'megaton' in being against everything XB1 is and everything MS has said about it.

PS4 8GB GDDR5 was megaton, imo.

When MS says "big surprise" I always assume Halo, and that means I can safely ignore the announcement. The big surprise for me, will be if it's anything other than Halo related.

MintendoSoft

Now that would be seriously something. :oops: I'd much rather have them be a multi platform though, as I'm not that would get me to purchase a Xbox... though it would certainly make me consider, especially if I weren't already a next gen owner...

I don't see something like this reasonably possible though...

When MS says "big surprise" I always assume Halo, and that means I can safely ignore the announcement.
Surprise implies something you're not expecting so probably not Halo. Besides when you're into your 3rd or 4th sequel in a franchise you have to do something pretty spectacular to make it exciting.

The only example I can really think of is GTA III. When DMA Design first announced another GTA game everybody went "meh". Then they showed it and everybody's jaws dropped. It's was a previously unimaginable generational leap with the game. I don't think any of the mainstay franchises - Halo, Gears, Uncharted, Resident Evil, FF, MGS - are promising such a leap forward in that it virtually resets the franchise.

As much as I'm looking forward to Uncharted 4 and Infamous 3, I am really excited by the new stuff: Destiny, The Division and Watch Dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back