News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Major Nelson powering up the console using voice and saying "Xbox On".

It's way quicker than I thought, impressive stuff.

http://instagram.com/p/gq0f97RYTR/#

In the future I am going to have a similar TV :eek:

Considering the 360 now takes like 5 minutes to boot up and then another 7 or so to load GTA V, I'm really looking forward to these things happening more quickly. And Oh Boy, if you want to stop playing GTA V and see if there's any new releases on Xbox Video to determine if you want to keep playing GTA V or watch a movie instead, it's a 15 minute process to exit GTA V, load Xbox Video, search through the first couple of movies (because only the first 5-6 are actually new this week at most) and then decide there's nothing you want to pay to rent/buy and then go back to GTA V.

And I think 15 minutes for that entire process is being generous.

The speed in which you can change between entertainment choices is a really huge factor.

5 minutes to boot up? your 360 must be broken 0_0

Completely agree. His system must be broken. Mine boots in seconds. Now signing into live takes a bit longer than it used to, but its still well under the course of a single minute, perhaps 20 seconds.

Takes me less than a minute to boot 360, sign on, load a game and start playing.

Something is definitely wrong. Maybe his console, maybe not. But clearly something is broken.

Completely agree. His system must be broken. Mine boots in seconds. Now signing into live takes a bit longer than it used to, but its still well under the course of a single minute, perhaps 20 seconds.

It might be related to a HDMI handshake race condition. When I had the 360 connected to the Panasonic Plasma and powered the TV on a bit "later" than the console I was *randomly* forced to repower the 360 to get it going. Since I moved to a Pioneer LX86 AV and power on the AV and TV before the 360 I've never run into the condition.

It might be related to a HDMI handshake race condition. When I had the 360 connected to the Panasonic Plasma and powered the TV on a bit "later" than the console I was *randomly* forced to repower the 360 to get it going. Since I moved to a Pioneer LX86 AV and power on the AV and TV before the 360 I've never run into the condition.
That never happened to me, but something similar. If the TV is not powered on the console tries to launch the dashboard but it "waits" for the TV to be actually on.

The user interface isn't as responsive as it used to be in the past, that's the difference for me. When I bring up the friends pane of the dashboard using the Xbox guide and go to a particular profile to send a message or whatever, it takes quite a while for the console to show the profile.

My HD only has 13.2GB of free space out of 250GB, I thought it could be the main culprit, but even if I clean the cache, there is no difference at all for me.

On another note, Microsoft have congratulated Sony on their launch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-15-microsoft-congratulates-sony-on-its-ps4-launch

BZFMjubCYAAIygR.png

Plus, Shuhei Yoshida and Major Nelson -Larry Hryb- are in good terms.

Captura.PNG

Perhaps he was exaggerating to make his point ;)

I like you.

Because it became a thing, I actually timed it.

Boot to dashboard: 1 minute 15 seconds
Dashboard to playing GTA V: 1 minute 46 seconds
Boot to dashboard in the Major Nelson One video: 14 seconds

I couldn't time the GTA V to Xbox Video - Check New Releases - Restart GTA V, because when I tried and selected Xbox Video the entire system froze. Yeah!

If Brit and Brut don't mind, I'd really like you two to actually time your consoles boot and game loading times. I can't believe you can boot and play in under a minute, or that booting only takes 20 seconds!

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody should ask them if there will be a chrome or firefox app because IE sucks.
No it does not. Internet Explorer 10, and especially Internet Explorer 11 -the one I use now- are the most secure browsers and they are fast, not to mention very functional.

Were we talking about IE8 or IE9 that would be an entirely different story.

I have utilised every browser under the sun, and I even had some of them as my default browsers for a relatively long while -Opera was my default browser a year and a half, Firefox 2 years, Chrome 1 year, just before the switch to IE10 and 11, where IE is a great alternative-.

Mmmm, I noticed that with Windows 8 a lot my settings are stored on the cloud (desktop pics, default app layouts, etc.) including all my I.E. favorites. I wonder if XBOX One will pick my favorites up as well.

No it does not. Internet Explorer 10, and especially Internet Explorer 11 -the one I use now- are the most secure browsers and they are fast, not to mention very functional.

Were we talking about IE8 or IE9 that would be an entirely different story.

Yeah totally agree there. I switched to Chrome from IE recently just to see what the hubbub was about and it's definitely not better, I'm thinking of switching back already. Aside from some websites not working right on Chrome like paypal, etc, Chrome I've found out is also a laptop battery killer. The fans on my Mac Air will kick to the max with 5 tabs open in Chrome, when playing video, or in many other circumstances for no particular reason. IE in all the same situations keeps my Mac Air totally silent. IE is also faster in many cases on many websites, my own included but people don't realize this because they just keep pointing to Sunspider and other useless benchmarks that don't reflect real world use.

Mmmm, I noticed that with Windows 8 a lot my settings are stored on the cloud (desktop pics, default app layouts, etc.) including all my I.E. favorites. I wonder if XBOX One will pick my favorites up as well.

I can't wait until they included the phone in this. I hate having different favorites on my phone and my desktop/tablet.

This is very interesting/exciting. Web on TV: Full integration between your TV and Internet Explorer on the Xbox One.

http://blogs.windows.com/ie/b/ie/archive/2013/11/15/ie-and-xbox-one-the-web-best-web-on-tv.aspx

"internet explorer...beyond3D"
"internet explorer...ebay"
"internet explorer...amazon"
"internet explorer...outlook"

I think I'm gonna be using Kinect 2 to check my emails quite often.:D

I wonder if you could chain different commands together for example "Xbox on....internet explorer outlook"?

Would be even better if we could "record" custom commands and map them to certain tasks? For example "Xbox check my email"...while the console is off instead of having to say "xbox on"?

Last edited by a moderator:
"internet explorer...beyond3D"
"internet explorer...ebay"
"internet explorer...amazon"
"internet explorer...outlook"

I think I'm gonna be using Kinect 2 to check my emails quite often.:D

I wonder if you could chain different commands together for example "Xbox on....internet explorer outlook"?

Would be even better if we could "record" custom commands and map them to certain tasks? For example "Xbox check my email"...while the console is off instead of having to say "xbox on"?

those ideas seem ripe for an xbox one app...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/15/5108278/xbox-one-internet-explorer-kinect-gestures

"On Xbox One you can now use a variety of gestures to navigate with Kinect alongside voice commands. Reaching out and grabbing the page initiates the navigation, and moving your hands up and down will pan. Microsoft says you'll also be able to pull a page to zoom in or push it away to zoom out...The voice controls are also improved, allowing Kinect users to scroll up and down, browse to, or click on pages. If you have The Verge in your favorites then you can simply say "Browse to The Verge" without having to repeat the full URL."

"All of this new functionality is combined with the existing SmartGlass app that allows Windows 8, Windows Phone, Android, and iOS users to navigate an Xbox One with a smartphone or tablet. Microsoft is also adding the option to push sites from a phone and tablet to the TV and back again with SmartGlass. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back