News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question is: how many consoles are offline by choice (ie inadequate parental controls) and how many are truly unable to connect online? How many consoles are replacements?

Re:used games... What are the possibilities that MS would have some sort of trade in credit of sorts? Since every console needs to be online, this would allow them to control this aspect fairly easily (being able to kill a copy) while still doing something to help gamers and help devs/publishers at the same time...

The problem wasn't so much the gamer benefitting, it was more GameStop turning around and reselling it that takes money entirely out of the system

I'm actually doing this with a 64ft USB2 active extension/repeater through my ceiling for my projector setup for Kinect v1. My issue would be if any of the plugs/connectors change. :???:

Very unlikely they will be able to get away with USB2, possibly USB3, and I do 't know of a reasonably priced USB3 repeater.

If it's true, I think its going to be a huge mistake.
I wouldn't take one if it was given to me. I certainly will not buy anything with such a requirement.

One thing that's vaugely surprised me with all the noise and rumours flying around (especially with the current degree of 'negativity' surrounding Durango) is that Microsoft hasn't tried countering it a bit. With Sony's announcement due next week it seems to me that Microsoft should be doing something now to explain their 'vision' , instead we're getting 'Kinect required, no used games, always on, etc . (plus dropping XNA <grumble,grumble> . I guess they're waiting to see more detail on what Sony's announcing first but I'm still surprised.

I don't want to get flamed for this, but the difference between selling 50 and 150 million consoles isn't by appeasing the paranoid nerds on Beyond3D and neogaf. I've never seen a company actually handle this kind of PR very well either, keeping their mouth shut is a better option.

As for the loss of XNA, I think it's pretty clear that middleware engines like Unity that use Direct3D directly under the hood are the future. As soon as it was clear that Windows 8 wasn't supporting XNA in the Metro environment a year ago, that's when it actually died.

I'm surprised too about an online requirement. Considering how Microsoft have been touting their roughly 60 percent consoles sold to Live members ratio as something impressive, even considering a good number presently inactive consoles and a continuing increase in broadband penetration, the remainder seems to be a big chunk of potential users to leave behind.

One thing that's vaugely surprised me with all the noise and rumours flying around (especially with the current degree of 'negativity' surrounding Durango) is that Microsoft hasn't tried countering it a bit. With Sony's announcement due next week it seems to me that Microsoft should be doing something now to explain their 'vision' , instead we're getting 'Kinect required, no used games, always on, etc . (plus dropping XNA <grumble,grumble> . I guess they're waiting to see more detail on what Sony's announcing first but I'm still surprised.

Maybe that's the goal , to get people desensitized with the always on , kinect required , very low specs etc. news so when they announce the console they wont shock anyone .
Who knows...

Well it is a relatively well known tactic of make the rumours so bad that when the real thing is not quite that bad then people are a lot happier. Doubt that's whats hapenning here though as thats off into paranoia land again. More likely as mentioned above is that my own narrow forum reading habits are creating that impression. Still a bit sore about XNA though :)

I'm sure people can connect the console to their home network without buildin wireless if they feel a need.

Really, most people? Do most people have a router next to their TV? Or an ethernet network running through the house?

Most people have a wireless router sitting in the computer room which their smartphones, laptops and tablets all wirelessly connect to.

Before the price of wi-fi adapters dropped to reasonable prices when the Wireless N adapters came out (I still had to pay $40 for a used one though), if I wanted to play online I had to connect the 360 to my laptop and use internet connection sharing - that was not trivial to set up either, took 2 hours with MS tech support to find out why it wasn't working. :???:

Most people will never go through the effort, I can tell you that.

Kinect will be built into the box im assuming. ..microsoft teased this a few years ago.
That's uber stupid. That requires the box to be placed right by the TV, under it or right next to it. That'll be incompatible with a lot of people's CE setups (amp and digibox and console in a cabinet out the way with just an HDMI cable to the TV).

That's uber stupid. That requires the box to be placed right by the TV, under it or right next to it. That'll be incompatible with a lot of people's CE setups (amp and digibox and console in a cabinet out the way with just an HDMI cable to the TV).

True..but we all thought the same about manditory internet conection.. ¤

Mandatory internet connection is facing objection only on principles. In-built Kinect faces objection by aesthetics, which are far more immediate and impactful. Someone may be spying on me? Okay, whatever, this is fun. I have to have a table under my TV with this console sat on and a glowing green ring/blue light/red Knight Rider style shing-shing across the front staring up at me? Sod that!

Out of curiosity, how much bandwidth does multiplayer gaming consume? Would a 1 GB per month be sufficient enough?

I wonder if MS could achieve always on, by providing a 4G SKU that can handle online play and game authentication coupled with $20-30 month Live subscription. LTE latency should be sufficient for online play for most people.

Mandatory internet connection is facing objection only on principles. In-built Kinect faces objection by aesthetics, which are far more immediate and impactful. Someone may be spying on me? Okay, whatever, this is fun. I have to have a table under my TV with this console sat on and a glowing green ring/blue light/red Knight Rider style shing-shing across the front staring up at me? Sod that!

Online only console will have a bigger impact i think than no second hand games,despite what many people think not every one has internet connection.

Take the current xbox 360 as example from 76 million units only 46 million have a live account either silver or gold,that clearly shows that 30 million xbox 360 never went online and created an account is a big number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back