News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
consumers are idiots. Forgetting that was MS' mistake,

So MS should stand up and issue a statement saying that consumers are idiots for not being able to understand the absolute backwards garbage they were spouting from E3 onwards.

And those self same idiots should just go out and buy our product because we think we're awesome.

The idiots in this room are the morons who refuse to accept the simple truth that MS f*cked it up all by themselves.

As if MS or Sony wouldn't have local data centers in the country? Come on, please try harder.

Datacenters are a big worry. One goes down and there is an awfully large strain put on surrounded switches to shift data.

My fun thing tonight is dealing with an outage which is playing havoc with email servers and web servers all over the place. The whole idea of the internet was that it would be n almost self healing network. But it is the creation of the big datacentres that is messing that up.

My only worry is that a (semi) forced reliance on those structures for a casual 24/7 engagement is going to end up costing the gamer a lot more in the long run.

As if MS or Sony wouldn't have local data centers in the country? Come on, please try harder.
um did I mention sony/MS I was talking about internet bandwidth in reguards to gralls question, you might want to read his question again

It's a wholly ridiculous scenario, because there's of course no way that 4.5 million people would start downloading all at once
well yes, but thing is the average rate is ~10mb/sec I think thus you only need 5% of the country to using the cable and its reached its limit. excluding the big boys (weta digital who use GB's not MBs)
In fact there was talk about laying down a new cable a few months ago, kim dot com was involved ;)

Nobody complained about Steam when it launched in 2003? Man, there was nothing but complaints about Steam when it launched - it was shit for a long, long time.

Physical media vs intangible media. Nobody complains they can't lend their Netflix movie stream with their friend, it's expected and accepted that you can't. People would complain if they couldn't lend their Blu-ray disc to a friend.

The win-win scenario for Microsoft, as has been brought up many times, is that supporting both mediums would have pleased everybody. With discs working as they do now and digital purchases offering enough flexibility to be an incentive in itself. That would have been a far more interesting test of consumer appetite of physical vs digital purchases in terms of pros and cons. A real missed opportunity.

no one complains they can't let a friend borrow a steam game they bought from gamestop on a physical disc either.

and xbox was rolling out a 10 person sharing plan also. Son of a gun that sound so ... whats the word ? Similar ? :devilish:

Yes because this totally wasn't cooking for years at steam, this isn't something simple it takes a long time to implement and no doubt has been on steams mind for a while, to suggest that they are merely copying is ridiculous, but after all, the irony being that Steam will be the first to market with this feature.

Yes because this totally wasn't cooking for years at steam, this isn't something simple it takes a long time to implement and no doubt has been on steams mind for a while, to suggest that they are merely copying is ridiculous, but after all, the irony being that Steam will be the first to market with this feature.

No one suggested any such thing. I'm not sure why you think that. I'm just pointing out that Steam and the original proposed xbox drm are very similar.

People were upset that a right of resale was being taken away, I pointed out the same right is gone from Steam for the last decade and its been embraced by a majority of pc gamers. Then you claimed that steam is now finally after 10 years mind you getting past that adding in game sharing with a few friends. But MS was talking about a very similar share feature even before steam's was announced.

The double standards or irony as you say quite apparent.

With steam I still loose my right of sale be it digital or physical , game sharing wont change that and that's a negative of having a code redemption as the security. Ms was going with a 24 hour check for a largely stationary system.

I dunno , I feel like we repeat the same things again and again and the more repeat them the more similar the platforms become and the less sence it makes for someone to dislike one and not the other.

No one suggested any such thing. I'm not sure why you think that. I'm just pointing out that Steam and the original proposed xbox drm are very similar.

People were upset that a right of resale was being taken away, I pointed out the same right is gone from Steam for the last decade and its been embraced by a majority of pc gamers. Then you claimed that steam is now finally after 10 years mind you getting past that adding in game sharing with a few friends. But MS was talking about a very similar share feature even before steam's was announced.

The double standards or irony as you say quite apparent.

With steam I still loose my right of sale be it digital or physical , game sharing wont change that and that's a negative of having a code redemption as the security. Ms was going with a 24 hour check for a largely stationary system.

I dunno , I feel like we repeat the same things again and again and the more repeat them the more similar the platforms become and the less sence it makes for someone to dislike one and not the other.

The major difference that people and you seem to be missing is that on PC steam is a choice, where as the DRM on XBONE was not a choice.

The major difference that people and you seem to be missing is that on PC steam is a choice, where as the DRM on XBONE was not a choice.

But the xbox one is a choice in itself. There are other platforms to buy. Its like complaining ps2 game only came on dvd instead of on cartridge .

All steam is not a choice , there are a ton of pc games you can only play with steam. Bioshock infinite is one of them

Anyway maybe a mod can split this off. We are going way off topic.

They should never have brought in the Disc in the first place, while their excuse was.. well what was it? In my world it was stupid, i understand we have a few guys out there that

A) has limited data plans, and
B) doesn't want to swap discs.

This was essentially the market for Discs behaving as DD. They might as well have created a special Disc format for them.

Instead they decided to screw everyone that prefers a physical good that can be bought, traded, borrowed and will last "forever".

Of course the real meat was the killing of used games, which apparently no one asked for, if were are to believe Activision and EA.

Creating a DRM that requires the Console to be online for DD would have been just as stupid imho, but it would have been easier to sell to the customers based on Steam at least. And they could have limited the check in to 24/48/128 hours or whatever.

Using steam as an example on how people would accept Online DRM for Discs on Consoles is simply wrong, as Microsoft learned it wasn't the case. 2 different platforms, and Steam actually has a offline mode that works.

So MS should stand up and issue a statement saying that consumers are idiots for not being able to understand the absolute backwards garbage they were spouting from E3 onwards.

And those self same idiots should just go out and buy our product because we think we're awesome.

The idiots in this room are the morons who refuse to accept the simple truth that MS f*cked it up all by themselves.

man, reading comprehension is a lost art. I fricken stated MS screwed up. They failed to understand the level of FUD that had been generated and how that would blind the meme-driven, incapable of logical or original thought, public. I swear twitter is worse than vCJD for diminishing cognitive capacity.

man, reading comprehension is a lost art. I fricken stated MS screwed up. They failed to understand the level of FUD that had been generated and how that would blind the meme-driven, incapable of logical or original thought, public. I swear twitter is worse than vCJD for diminishing cognitive capacity.

No, you're stating that MS provided the perfect message. That the stupidity of their customers (I guess you are one?) is the weak point and that is where they screwed up.

I'm saying the message was screwed, the delivery was screwed, the management was screwed, and ultimately it was MS that screwed up completely. Their customers are free of any guilt or charges of stupidity.

According to Cranky, the only thing MS seems to be incapable of is to act with respect to how stupid we people are. Too bad, MS. you're too good for us.

But not from every single piece of game or software on the platform called PC.

lol such a horrible argument. Are there big block buster titles that require steam to play ? Yes or no ?

IF yes then there is no difference between the platforms. Yes you can run a spread sheet program on the pc and not have to activate it on steam but that hardly matters in comparision to a console.

Once you buy a piece of software on steam you are stuck in that walled garden until you either sell the software (which you can't) or pay for it again on another platform. Sadly there are a lot of steam only games and thus jumping off the platform wont work

lol such a horrible argument. Are there big block buster titles that require steam to play ? Yes or no ?

IF yes then there is no difference between the platforms. Yes you can run a spread sheet program on the pc and not have to activate it on steam but that hardly matters in comparision to a console.

Once you buy a piece of software on steam you are stuck in that walled garden until you either sell the software (which you can't) or pay for it again on another platform. Sadly there are a lot of steam only games and thus jumping off the platform wont work

Yes there are, theres also plenty that don't require steam. You need to stop trying to say that the CHOICE of using steam on the PC, is the same as being FORCED into using similar DRM on a console. The best list I could find has a list of ~100/120 games that require steam. This is from 2004 to now.

The fact is that consumers didn't like Microsofts ideas, so Microsoft did the intelligent thing and changed it, they listened to what people actually wanted, and as a result will probably sell more consoles this generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back