News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, how do some of you people come to these conclusions?? John Lewis is a single chain of department stores, selling homewares and clothes. Their clientèle are middle-class, happy to spend RRP or even more on their products. John Lewis's gaming section is a tiny handful of consoles and games. It's no wonder that they expect XB1 to sell more seeing as their customers are likely going to be more interested in voice controlled TV and fitness games than they are interested in twin stick shooters and AAA titles. Gamers will not be going to JL to fuel their hobby. The exact quote...

"We are stocking both the PS4 and the Xbox One but if we were to back one, we are thinking that Xbox One will appeal a bit more to our customers in terms of the experience it creates." He added: "If we had to edge one I would favour the Xbox One."

So how on earth can one get from that to "XB1 is expected to outsell PS4 in the UK"?? :oops: :???:
I never knew that. Thanks for telling me Shifty. I checked their website and it seems the typical place for "casuals". I don't know.

For journalists they are just talking in code. I re-read the news regarding this and I couldn't find the whole country -UK- mentioned by John Lewis staff.

However, it depends on the site -with some redemption is beyond hope-:

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251341/uk-retailer-xbox-one-to-outsell-playstation-4/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/uk-retailer-expecting-xbox-one-to-outsell-ps4/1100-6415515/

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-10-10-xbox-one-expected-to-outsell-ps4-uk-retailer

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/john-lewis-expects-xbox-one-sales-to-outsell-ps4/0122387

I am leaving now, Shifty. I had to restart the message -sigh-. Sometimes technology seemed better in the days of AVI videos. :smile:

@Betanumerical, I think my previous post is a valid reply to your post. I have since answered that. Cheers!

Seriously, how do some of you people come to these conclusions?? John Lewis is a single chain of department stores, selling homewares and clothes. Their clientèle are middle-class, happy to spend RRP or even more on their products. John Lewis's gaming section is a tiny handful of consoles and games. It's no wonder that they expect XB1 to sell more seeing as their customers are likely going to be more interested in voice controlled TV and fitness games than they are interested in twin stick shooters and AAA titles. Gamers will not be going to JL to fuel their hobby. The exact quote...

"We are stocking both the PS4 and the Xbox One but if we were to back one, we are thinking that Xbox One will appeal a bit more to our customers in terms of the experience it creates." He added: "If we had to edge one I would favour the Xbox One."

So how on earth can one get from that to "XB1 is expected to outsell PS4 in the UK"?? :oops: :???:

Especially as the guy says it is based on historical sales... MS have only had one mildly successful console whilst Sony are sitting on the, PS2 as wildly successful and the PS3 as a mildly successful one. I guess the Sony boxes are just not 'middle of the road' enough for John Lewis :LOL:

It shouldn't. XB1 is supposed to isolate the position of each voice, and match it to the talker. Background words should be filtered out. However, I suppose in the case of "Xbox on", you just want a global response, and so perhaps similarly they went with "Xbox off" via the same route, instead of matching voice to user.

Do we know whether it's matching a voice print, or just working out from direction? (AFAIR the purpose was to work out whether player 1 or player 2 spoke, not whether user #43566542 did).

The bigger concern is going to be privacy. You can apparently 'opt in' to have your data uploaded - but does that mean you're opting in any other person who steps in front of your kinect without their knowledge?

Do we know whether it's matching a voice print, or just working out from direction? (AFAIR the purpose was to work out whether player 1 or player 2 spoke, not whether user #43566542 did).
The direction matches with the user, because the camera can see who is talking. A voice match isn't necessary. XB! only needs respond to commands originating from the controlling user, however it picks that. All other sounds are ignored. They are effectively stripped from the audio stream, so the XB1 only 'hears' the desired voice (it can of course hear multiple simultaneously).

No sure if this was known and I'm just late but...

Cool. Though I suppose inevitable.

But is he saying NO local saves at launch? Cue "MS IS REQUIRING ONLINE OH NOES" backlash??

Edit: I guess he means EXTERNAL HDD wont be save supported?

Just one thing you missed is that they are talking about two different things. Game storing and Game saving are two different things. Albert is talking about physical game itself. Xbox is fully playable offline so it would be stupid to assume that you can't save the game unless you are connected. Now I do believe that if you are connected to xbl it will save a copy on there also because they tell you that you can go to friends house and resume the game if you were connected to xbl at home and saved game then went to friends house.

For external storage didn't they say that it's not supported at launch just like with x360?

Especially as the guy says it is based on historical sales... MS have only had one mildly successful console whilst Sony are sitting on the, PS2 as wildly successful and the PS3 as a mildly successful one. I guess the Sony boxes are just not 'middle of the road' enough for John Lewis :LOL:

PS2 practicaly had no real competition it was like PS3 vs WiiU

Well Xbox 360 was the top selling console in the UK this past generation.

The new one should do well over here at least.

The new one should do well over here at least.
I wouldn't assume because XB360 sold well, XB1 will also. It's a different value proposition. Every console gen pretty much starts at square one, especially when none of the new boxes have BC and there's little to tie users to the legacy platform. (This goes for PS4 as well. Sales of PS3 aren't an indicator of how PS4 will sell, any more than Wii sales were an indicator of how well Wii U was going to sell)

360 is still now doing relatively well though? I know Wii sales had died long before WiiU.

And it's not quite square one for those who used their consoles for movies and TV content. That should carry over with XBL or PSN. And there are profiles and whatnot.

360 is still now doing relatively well though? I know Wii sales had died long before WiiU.

And it's not quite square one for those who used their consoles for movies and TV content. That should carry over with XBL or PSN. And there are profiles and whatnot.

And this time MS are talking about supporting it going into the future. Unlike the original XBox, which they couldn't wait to drop. So it depends on how many decide to sit with a 360 rather than upgrade. In a way MS have made it much harder for themselves by having such a good service available with the 360 Live whereas the PS4 online services are offering a clear upgrade to the PS3.

And this time MS are talking about supporting it going into the future. Unlike the original XBox, which they couldn't wait to drop. So it depends on how many decide to sit with a 360 rather than upgrade. In a way MS have made it much harder for themselves by having such a good service available with the 360 Live whereas the PS4 online services are offering a clear upgrade to the PS3.

Well, that's certainly one way to look at it. The other is that the services on Live are so superior to what is available currently (PS3) on Playstation Network that those who cared about those features are already Xbox users and are unlikely to switch to the PS4 even if PSN reaches parity next generation. The fact that Live will transition to the One helps to insure that current Live users stay within the family.

There's always the problem that your X generation of products is so successful that there's no reason for users to purchase your X+1 generation as a replacement. And consoles are a bit different than say, iPhones, which everybody sees and you show off. Consoles sit in your living room and very few people see them, it's not a status symbol like the latest iPhone or the newest redesigned Corvette.

That's where actual product improvements come into play, and it's also why the consoles have a longer life cycle than iPhones.

Well, that's certainly one way to look at it. The other is that the services on Live are so superior to what is available currently (PS3) on Playstation Network that those who cared about those features are already Xbox users and are unlikely to switch to the PS4 even if PSN reaches parity next generation. The fact that Live will transition to the One helps to insure that current Live users stay within the family.

But it also means that more 360 owners might save the money and stick with the 360 until such time as the services provided by the XB1 are clearly superior whereas more PS3 owners are more likely to transition to the PS4 as that benefit is already pretty clear.

There's always the problem that your X generation of products is so successful that there's no reason for users to purchase your X+1 generation as a replacement. And consoles are a bit different than say, iPhones, which everybody sees and you show off. Consoles sit in your living room and very few people see them, it's not a status symbol like the latest iPhone or the newest redesigned Corvette.

That's where actual product improvements come into play, and it's also why the consoles have a longer life cycle than iPhones.

It may be with this generation that it gets off to a very slow start initially and then upticks much later on when services are upgraded. Or when services are removed\switched off on the older generation.

Please don't insult our intelligence by posting that FUD that doesn't even mean anything on the Beyond3D forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back