News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for your questions.

1. Record, first gen to use only one chip in awhile :LOL:
2. Not a record
3. not a record
4 not a record

That is a really poor job of answering the question.

#1. Is definitely a record. Larger in size and transistor count than PS4 and PS4 was the prior record before Xbox One size and transistor count was shown (picture and 5B).

#2, #3 & #4. If you don't think it is a record which one was the record? The two possibilities are Xbox 360 original or PS3 original. Which do you think was the record over the Xbox One shown in the wired photos? Any facts to back it up? Any photos and/or references to back up your answers?

Look at the fan again. Compare it to the Blu Ray drive size. Now look at the pictures online of the Xbox 360 heat sinks and the PS3 heat sink assembly. Compared to the heatsinks and fans AMD shipped with 140W processors the Xbox One heatsink looks much bigger. I have compared the 140W AMD heatsinks to a blu-ray drive size and the difference is clear.

By the way MS did not say the system was 100W. They said something about the fan cooling 100W silently. I wanted to review that but so far no one has posted a link that has exactly what was said. I know silently was there and 100W was there and it was for the SoC only. If it turns out that 100W is also the SoC maximum then that puts a dent in the SoC power for sure, as I have said before.

If the fan needs to cool 100W silently then the total consumption is quite above 100W. 100W silently is a lower bound to the SoC design, not the whole system. The power brick would need to be quite a bit more for SoC at 100W, hard drive, WiFi, blu-ray, etc.

These four items relate to the supply of the power (brick and buck converter), the power requirement (related to transistor count/die size at a given node/process/clock) and the power dissipation (heat sink fan).

The no paywall for sony makes me doubt this. I don't think Sony is stupid enough to provide free online play again, but you never know.

I don't see how you can willingly give up some percentage (lets say 50%) of 40 million people * $50/year = $1 billion/year. That is NOT chump change. In fact, that would put their entire company well into the black and make up for their losses from the ailing entertainment division.

As a gamer, I would be happy for free online play. If I were a stockholder, I'd be freaking furious.

I don't see how you can willingly give up some percentage (lets say 50%) of 40 million people * $50/year = $1 billion/year. That is NOT chump change. In fact, that would put their entire company well into the black and make up for their losses from the ailing entertainment division.

As a gamer, I would be happy for free online play. If I were a stockholder, I'd be freaking furious.
But economics don't work that way. Otherwise I could say... I can't believe they don't price the games 120$, they're losing 60 * [games sales] billion per year because of this idiotic decision of pricing the games only $60.

They make a huge amount of research to predict the impact on the console sales, if they still offer the lowest online tier for free, and make the upper tier (plus and plusplus) enticing enough for people to pay, it's a win.

(and I'm off-topic I think)

And I wonder what the cost for gold will be.I'm guessing they will charge even more.

They can allways add tiers . Esp if you can record your game play and upload it to the cloud. Higher tiers allow more space to save.

I also expect you to be able to add people to your live account family plan and pay x amount of money extra per person up to 10 people in a family. So costs can be reduced as you add more people.

That's not exactly big news though, what was Silver membership good for anyway? Downloading demos is all I can think of.

You could purchase any of the content(less Gold Exclusives & deals) & you could use voice chat & text messaging. Video chat & Parties weren't included though. Pretty much if you didn't game online or use the apps, you had access to almost everything else. I think bkilian is right, I'm thinking free Live(Silver) will no longer be available. :( Xbox.com seems to no longer talk about the free version.

Tommy McClain

Wow that would be huge. Gold had no value to me since I don't play online games. Really I still have never even used the free month of gold that was given to me when they replaced my broken x360.

why would they do away with silver? So I have to pay monthly or yearly just to play single player games? Maybe I one of the few that is silver...

You could purchase any of the content(less Gold Exclusives & deals) & you could use voice chat & text messaging. Video chat & Parties weren't included though. Pretty much if you didn't game online or use the apps, you had access to almost everything else. I think bkilian is right, I'm thinking free Live(Silver) will no longer be available. :( Xbox.com seems to no longer talk about the free version.

Tommy McClain

Bkilian said that? ouch... I do not want a console where I must pay for everything, the console, the games, the service...

Bkilian said that? ouch... I do not want a console where I must pay for everything, the console, the games, the service...

Losing Xbox Silver doesn't necessarily mean losing the ability to play games. You just lose access to thinks like voice chat, friends list(?), ability to download demos, etc.

So if you don't pay any money then you just have a very basic game and media playing machine.

Now I'm not saying Xbox Silver is going away. Just pointing out that if it does, it doesn't mean you have to pay monthly/yearly in order to play single player games.

Regards,
SB

That is a really poor job of answering the question.

#1. Is definitely a record. Larger in size and transistor count than PS4 and PS4 was the prior record before Xbox One size and transistor count was shown (picture and 5B).

#2, #3 & #4. If you don't think it is a record which one was the record? The two possibilities are Xbox 360 original or PS3 original. Which do you think was the record over the Xbox One shown in the wired photos? Any facts to back it up? Any photos and/or references to back up your answers?
Kb_Smoker's answers seemed rather plausible, though.

In #1, he clearly meant that when comparing die sizes, you'd have to look at the combined silicon budget of a given console. Thinking of the original PS3, that was a machine with ~240mm² 90nm RSX + ~230mm2 90nm Cell + dedicated vintage EE unit for BC.

As for the rest: The original PS3 had a massive ~380W Power supply with cooling and power converters to match it. I de don't see the final Xbox One design coming even close (which is a GOOD thing).

The only new "record" in XBox One should be the largest single/integrated chip and largest transistor count; but again: I don't think those "records" you were implying are worth striving for / being proud of in the first place.

A good console, in my mind, is above all defined by efficiency. Large die sizes and huge power bricks only mean high production costs / a lot of heat / a lot of noise / high power consumption / questionable long-term reliability / steep launch prices. I don't want any of that in any console I'm buying.

He was interpreting that guy CBOAT from GAF.

Tommy McClain

Thanks, I really was afraid.

Losing Xbox Silver doesn't necessarily mean losing the ability to play games. You just lose access to thinks like voice chat, friends list(?), ability to download demos, etc.

So if you don't pay any money then you just have a very basic game and media playing machine.

Now I'm not saying Xbox Silver is going away. Just pointing out that if it does, it doesn't mean you have to pay monthly/yearly in order to play single player games.

Regards,
SB

But "not paying" mean Xbox Live Silver, current Xbox Live accounts are silver (or free) or gold Only gold mean I must paid even for current "free " things.

EDIT: And I'm confused with Microsoft. Windows 8 is a really good product, I got it for $15 and it works better than any previous Windows version, Windows Phone (7 or 8) is a good phone OS, I really like it, the same for Surface (RT and Pro). Why they took too many bad decisions with Xbox? I have a lot of Microsoft products and neither make me feel like I purchased a bad product.

Weren't you ban on Neogaf for doing this exactly.?:?:

NeoGaf are getting a bit ridiculous for banning Xbox fanboys for doing nothing else besides being fanboys.

I can vouch for SenjutsuSage and his source - it seems the current GPU clock is indeed 800 mhz as per the vgleaks specs

Tommy McClain

Oh yeah, not being able to download DLC or XBLA titles would suck - though I can't imagine them putting this behind a paywall. You have to pay $50 a year just so you can pay for DLC? Sounds ludicrous.

NeoGaf are getting a bit ridiculous for banning Xbox fanboys for doing nothing else besides being fanboys.

I can vouch for SenjutsuSage and his source - it seems the current GPU clock is indeed 800 mhz as per the vgleaks specs

Oh yeah, not being able to download DLC or XBLA titles would suck - though I can't imagine them putting this behind a paywall.

You have to pay $50 a year just so you can pay for DLC? Sounds ludicrous.

yea these rumors seem just as much some kind of FUD at the moment until we hear the facts from both Sony and MS

Seem what he was saying to play online ftp games you must be xbl gold. Which makes sense if you think about it....

He talk about world of tanks which is ftp.

For a Gold only subscription(paid), it makes sense to tie everything to their network. To get on their network & use their services & servers you will need to pay. Silent's idea is that you would still get basic offline support for single player games with just a local ID. However, if you're required to check in every 24 hours from your own machine, it makes sense that you can't use a local ID. You'll need a Live ID & I assume that will cost you. To me & bkilian that's how CBOAT's DRM is worse rumor could be true. Is it? I don't personally think so, but nothing would surprise me anymore.

Tommy McClain

Nice

Oh yeah, not being able to download DLC or XBLA titles would suck - though I can't imagine them putting this behind a paywall. You have to pay $50 a year just so you can pay for DLC? Sounds ludicrous.

I'm Xbox Live Silver and can buy and download all, XBLA, GoD, DLCs, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back