News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finalized as in design. Still needs to be tested. Everyone forgets this part.

Yes, this is what I mean, they didn't have the actual silicon at the time but they had the design finalised.

I say this as the last spec change made to the hardware (to as it is per vgleaks) was a RAM increase from 4GB to 8GB in Nov 2011.

It's just semantics. Taped out is what it was in Nov '11.

And just when I thought we crossed into the Acceptance stage. Why are you all so insistent there's something else to Xbone?

Because I want and expect it to be following the lines of the original Xbox and the 360.

And because there are things about the hardware photos that make me incredulous about 768 and Jaguar after spending all the money on 5 billion transistors.

One way I have posed the question a few times is as follows:

What is your opinion on the following four rather concrete physical facts about the hardware that can be seen in photographs?

Please note that all four exist at the same time. Saying just that #3 is for silence does not work. Can you address all four at the same time in the context of predicted performance and power?

1. Xbox One SoC Size: New Console Record/Tie/Not Record
2. Xbox One Power Brick: New Console Record/Tie/Not Record
3. Xbox One Heatsink/Fan: New Console Record/Tie/Not Record
4. Xbox One SoC Power Buck Converter: New Console Record/Tie/Not Record

When you look at all four at the same time and compare it to the original PS3 and Xbox 360 chips, power converters, power supplies and heatsinks/fans I get the feeling that it is in the high power category not the "pulling a Nintendo Wii U 2.0" category.

Take the power buck converter. Look at the original PS3 main board and the original Xbox 360 main board and now compare to the Xbox one the buck converter components (number of mosfets, chokes, output filter caps) shown in the wired photos. All three are pretty similar which to me suggests a similar amount of power consumption. Also keep in mind I know a bit about electronics and I can see that the toroids (for all the power conversion in the 360) are crummy and wimpy compared with the more advanced and more expensive ones clearly shown in the wired photos. From doing electronic design and from buying motherboards/CPUs (from my first 8088 and NEC V20 up to today's processors = 20+ years) and overclocking I know the toroids are used on the cheaper and lower powered main boards (and older boards) and the particular ones shown in the wired photos for Xbox One are pretty much top of the line and are seen in top of the line BIG graphics cards.

Compare the 360 power brick to the pictures of the Xbox One (yes, I know it might not be final) and again it suggests a similar amount of power.

Add up all four at the same time and I do not buy the lower power rumors. It does not make sense.

Plus when I see the "pulling a Nintendo Wii U 2.0" and other Xbox One bashing along with constant "Xbone" & "Tiny Flaccid" then I pretty much reject the arguments of obvious MS haters.

Seriously, do you think a fan of both PS3 and 360 will listen to obvious anti MS bashers? Particularly when there is a stream of pretty dubious rumored problems all of a sudden?

Last edited by a moderator:
@geoffkeighley said:
Just spoke to Phil Spencer (@XboxP3), he promises tomorrow is all games at Xbox. 20 titles on stage. More in the Spike preshow.

Hopefully people will understand that could be 360 & XB1 titles, but 20 is still a good number. That could mean 4.5mins per title for a 90min show.

Tommy McClain

We need to invent a time machine here in B3D, and go get Robin Hood & his gang to help me. That is what we gotta do.

A lot of expenses related to videogames ahead.

Great news! We are going to enjoy Global Illumination aplenty on the Xbox One. :smile:

http://devmaster.net/posts/3251/geomerics-to-bring-next-generation-lig​hting-to-xbox-one

Geomerics, the leading lighting technology company in the video game industry, today announced its support for Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft. Enlighten is now available to developers working on Xbox One titles, bringing real-time global illumination to the next generation of games.

Enlighten is award-winning lighting software and the world's first fully real-time global illumination technology.

Hopefully people will understand that could be 360 & XB1 titles, but 20 is still a good number. That could mean 4.5mins per title for a 90min show.

Tommy McClain
I wish all the games are Xbox One only. The motto is "A new generation of games revealed".

They said there will be news related to the Xbox 360, something which is (allegedly) going to surprise people and extend Xbox 360 lifespan for many years.

I guess the news is that the Xbox 360 will be free if you buy it on hire purchase, with a Xbox Live account. Just guessing...

Perhaps for the system as a whole but I don't know of any place that calls a chip design done until they have proven (with data on multiple batches) the yield, reliability, cost, clocks, power, etc.
You may find yields are modelled from specifically targeted wafers during the engineering wafer out lots.

Because I want and expect it to be following the lines of the original Xbox and the 360.

And because there are things about the hardware photos that make me incredulous about 768 and Jaguar after spending all the money on 5 billion transistors.

One way I have posed the question a few times is as follows:

What is your opinion on the following four rather concrete physical facts about the hardware that can be seen in photographs?

Please note that all four exist at the same time. Saying just that #3 is for silence does not work. Can you address all four at the same time in the context of predicted performance and power?

1. Xbox One SoC Size: New Console Record/Tie/Not Record
2. Xbox One Power Brick: New Console Record/Tie/Not Record
3. Xbox One Heatsink/Fan: New Console Record/Tie/Not Record
4. Xbox One SoC Power Buck Converter: New Console Record/Tie/Not Record

When you look at all four at the same time and compare it to the original PS3 and Xbox 360 chips, power converters, power supplies and heatsinks/fans I get the feeling that it is in the high power category not the "pulling a Nintendo Wii U 2.0" category.

Take the power buck converter. Look at the original PS3 main board and the original Xbox 360 main board and now compare to the Xbox one the buck converter components (number of mosfets, chokes, output filter caps) shown in the wired photos. All three are pretty similar which to me suggests a similar amount of power consumption. Also keep in mind I know a bit about electronics and I can see that the toroids (for all the power conversion in the 360) are crummy and wimpy compared with the more advanced and more expensive ones clearly shown in the wired photos. From doing electronic design and from buying motherboards/CPUs (from my first 8088 and NEC V20 up to today's processors = 20+ years) and overclocking I know the toroids are used on the cheaper and lower powered main boards (and older boards) and the particular ones shown in the wired photos for Xbox One are pretty much top of the line and are seen in top of the line BIG graphics cards.

Compare the 360 power brick to the pictures of the Xbox One (yes, I know it might not be final) and again it suggests a similar amount of power.

Add up all four at the same time and I do not buy the lower power rumors. It does not make sense.

Plus when I see the "pulling a Nintendo Wii U 2.0" and other Xbox One bashing along with constant "Xbone" & "Tiny Flaccid" then I pretty much reject the arguments of obvious MS haters.

Seriously, do you think a fan of both PS3 and 360 will listen to obvious anti MS bashers? Particularly when there is a stream of pretty dubious rumored problems all of a sudden?

I think you misunderstood what I meant by "xbone is wuu 2.0" It had nothing to do with the power of the system. It was just about people twisting small details in making the console some beast. If you look back at the wuu thread it had people just like yourself that came up with all these crazy theory that of course were wrong. That how at one point the "lowest" was 600 glfop for the wuu.

As for your questions.

1. Record, first gen to use only one chip in awhile :LOL:
2. Not a record
3. not a record
4 not a record

I dont think we will ever have a console that uses as much power as the ps360 did. These console should use about half of the launch consoles. I thought we had someone from MS say the system used around 100 watts.

A possible downclock of the rumored and widely believed 800MHZ GPU core clockspeed isn't true and is not happening. That's what I firmly believe based on what I've heard directly (not secondhand or thirdhand) from what I would classify as a most reliable possible source.

I don't pretend to question what anyone else has heard, or who they've heard it from, but if it were even remotely possible for me to just come out and say which source I'm referencing and have that person directly back up what I'm saying, I'm willing to bet many, many more people would believe firmly that a downclock isn't true.

Short of the lead engineer or set of engineers on the Xbox One, of which this person may have played an influential role in possibly advising -- although I can't say that for certain -- there is nobody else I would put greater faith in when it comes to this specific topic.

Weren't you ban on Neogaf for doing this exactly.?:?:

whats this even mean ?

1. Confirmed Microsoft is actively attempting to get developers to not mention PS4 versions. If they don't say "OUR GAME IS EXCLUSIVE FOR XBONE" expect a PS4 version. #truthfact

2. More DRM messaging at Gamescom. There is no rental strategy. Try to sweep it under the rug and hope people don't remember.

3. Cloud power was designed as DRM. Period. DRM was Microsoft's idea. EA and Ubisoft are supporters, Activision slightly less so.

4. DRM plans are actually worse than what they've stated.

8. Live paywall still there.

10. No online paywall for PS4. Unconfirmed.

11. No DRM info for PS4.

All "news/rumors" are happy for PS4 I guess.

Wonder if live gold is going to be tied to this new DRM system because i dont see how it can get much worse.

Yikes.

What is going on @ MS?

Seem they are trying to get all the bad news out before E3. I think the megaton will be the price. I can see then launching at $299.

A lot of people will not care about most of this stuff 6 months from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back