News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Less than 2 days.

Hype increasing :devilish:.

Edit:

First Leak? COD:Ghosts

http://v.cdn.vine.co/v/videos/6C3F5...p4?versionId=E_EXOaXMt12sv1FdRkeGqAhEYTb90NsS

Microsoft has said directly they will be premiering COD:G at the event, no leak here.

I'm with Nesh on the naming of games like that. Don't get me wrong. I like the Infinity name, but not on every launch game. That's so 90's comic book style.

Tommy McClain

I could see Halo 2:Infinity being an HD remake to launch with the console. That might be fun.

ahm.....No
I'm with Nesh on the naming of games like that. Don't get me wrong. I like the Infinity name, but not on every launch game. That's so 90's comic book style.

Tommy McClain
I thought that maybe it would be seen like something so cool, that when people saw games with those names on offer, they would be convinced and they would fly off the shelves.

It sounds so Nintendo to me. (Super Mario Kart. Super Castlevania IV....)

But well... maybe you are right, it harkens back to another time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more designs for the new console. I hope it is the first one.

xbox_720_cdavidhansson.jpg

xbox_720_concept_3d-eric-design.jpg

xbox_720__9_breaker.jpg

next_gen_xbox_by_ivul-d5ch2d7.jpg

Xbox-world.jpg

Some more designs for the new console. I hope it is the first one.

xbox_720_cdavidhansson.jpg

Oh dear god no. Not only is that not stackable in my entertainment center...

But it looks like some teen just hitting puberty saw a naked woman for the first time and couldn't control a certain biological function and...SPLAT. :LOL:

Regards,
SB

Oh dear god no. Not only is that not stackable in my entertainment center...

But it looks like some teen just hitting puberty saw a naked woman for the first time and couldn't control a certain biological function and...SPLAT. :LOL:

Regards,
SB

I don't know what is more disturbing.......the design of that Xbox, or your description of it!:oops:

I never noticed that facehuggers had large veiny testicles beside their tale.

I'm telling you, Dieter Rams is in the afterlife wishing he could see one of those design concepts come to fruition.

Seems to be three main benefits to this. First is that it frees them from the shackles of typical console development as they are no longer bound to any one manufacturer for any one part, they can source any part from anyone they want so long as its as quick or quicker than the old part it replaces, even doing this mid generation. They can potentially hop to different cpu, gpu, ram, etc manufacturers and not care anymore. Second, it frees them from the typical console cycles as they can now release new hardware anytime they want on any cycle they want based on market conditions due to them now having forward compatibility. Finally it will allow all the apps/games built for this platform to be ported elsewhere far easier, basically any other hardware that Microsoft makes just has to support the Durango vm. This is a boon to publishers as all their apps/games written to the Durango vm will be easily reusable elsewhere. It seems like a great and long overdue idea to me, win-win-win all around.

Isn't that turning into just a simple PC?

Isn't that turning into just a simple PC?

Not really because consoles will always a finite number of known configurations and performance characteristics. Even if they iterate more frequently under the hood there is still only a small hand full of possible configurations at any given time (3 or 4 supported max?) Where in the PC space, the combinations are infinite and optimizing for specific performance envelopes is far more difficult.

EDIT:Not to mention the hardware *features* are much better defined such as video camera, controller configuration, voice input, etc...

I never noticed that facehuggers had large veiny testicles beside their tale.

Me neither, and I wish i still didn't. Thanks. ;)

Not really because consoles will always a finite number of known configurations and performance characteristics. Even if they iterate more frequently under the hood there is still only a small hand full of possible configurations at any given time (3 or 4 supported max?) Where in the PC space, the combinations are infinite and optimizing for specific performance envelopes is far more difficult.

EDIT:Not to mention the hardware *features* are much better defined such as video camera, controller configuration, voice input, etc...

I honestly think this will turn into some sort of marketing disaster by providing (again) multiple SKUs. You overdo it and you end up confusing your consumers.

Many of the upgrades described already exist in the console space without needing the use of VM.

About jumping out of the console cycle, lots of it I feel will come down again to the lowest common denominator and I don't think VMs are a real solution to that.

I honestly think this will turn into some sort of marketing disaster by providing (again) multiple SKUs. You overdo it and you end up confusing your consumers.

Many of the upgrades described already exist in the console space without needing the use of VM.

About jumping out of the console cycle, lots of it I feel will come down again to the lowest common denominator and I don't think VMs are a real solution to that.

There's a whole other thread for a multiple SKU strategy but I think its less about multiple, concurrent, SKUs and more about the flexibility to not be so tied to a traditional console lifecycle or prior designs. Think how much easier it would be now to provide 360 BC if this was in their strategy 8 years ago. Right now the choice is to use valuable transistors on providing BC or having to trash and burn your user-base every cycle...

EDIT:not to mention the application suspend/resume benefits and security benefits going with a virtualized environment to run applications...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back