News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.

i just hope the vm crap doesn't nerf performance.

i dont believe it will. iw wouldn't show cod:ghosts on xbox first if it didn't look great for example.

i'm guessing the reason performance tends to suck on pc is more the countless possible hardware configurations, than the api. i'm guessing ms knew this.

just like people said you couldn't code to the metal on 360, and people like sebbbi explained to us how it was really no big deal.

i just hope the vm crap doesn't nerf performance.

i dont believe it will. iw wouldn't show cod:ghosts on xbox first if it didn't look great for example.

just like people said you couldn't code to the metal on 360, and people like sebbbi explained to us how it was really no big deal.

I've been told it won't have a significant impact on performance

Though with DirectX and 360, just because it wasn't a big deal doesn't mean there weren't situations where having to go through the API could be limiting:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-directx-360-performance-blog-entry

And showing COD Ghosts first on Xbox doesn't mean anything, MS probably just paid them a bunch of cash to do so (or have some other special COD tieup going on with Activision that Sony doesn't have)

They say MS "Considered" HDMI in, which to me implies it didn't make the cut. They could mean what you say but then I think its poorly worded.

Regardless, I hope they are wrong because its something I personally want and think they could implement far better than GTV.

Yeah, it's just poorly worded. From what I've been told it's a key feature.

It just seems like the WSJ don't know exactly what's going to be the features at launch so are just listing everything they've heard:
It is unclear how many of the prototype technologies will be included in the final Xbox.

Serious question: what is the feature? How would you explain it to people?

Quick explanation...

You can use the HDMI in to watch your cable or satellite tv through your xbox. This will allow game invites, Skype chats, and other xbox applications to overlay or alert you while watching TV so you don't miss them.

For example say you are watching a TV show and a friend comes online and sends you an invite to play halo. In the past you either your xbox would be off or you wouldn't see it since you weren't on the xbox input.

In addition some apps might provide supplemental content to what you're watching on tv like twitter or 2nd screen content.

Quick explanation...

You can use the HDMI in to watch your cable or satellite tv through your xbox. This will allow game invites, Skype chats, and other xbox applications to overlay or alert you while watching TV so you don't miss them.

For example say you are watching a TV show and a friend comes online and sends you an invite to play halo. In the past you either your xbox would be off or you wouldn't see it since you weren't on the xbox input.

In addition some apps might provide supplemental content to what you're watching on tv like twitter or 2nd screen content.

This is also what I'm thinking, and so far...........things are in line with my expectations. I had originally thought that Microsoft would have had multiple working prototypes, with numerous devices for numerous configurations. And as the article states, they're still developing many of the technologies so we're likely to see some of these devices released over time in the platform's life cycle.

Also, it's nice to read a well structured article about gaming for a change. Honestly, the game industry's press is an embarrassment to itself. And it isn't just the poor structure, it's also that their articles usually contain no facts at all, just vague corroborative context that usually wasn't worth mentioning in the first place.

The VM thing also makes sense when you consider MS's demos are fairly multiplayer focused. Some people play the same MMO/FPS for years while playing other games in between. Being able to swap between game A (their perennial game) and game B (their latest purchase) easily is very convenient. I wonder if this would imply that they don't need a disc in the drive (having to swap discs kinda ruins the convenience), which might back those no used games rumors?

That said, my thought is that it seems like a pretty hard sell, so why do it? I mean, your average consumer isn't going to understand this suspend/resume stuff, and they rarely think about what's best for their nebulous future, so I can't see forward compatibility winning them over. On top of that you could always buy digitally that one perennial game, skirting the whole benefit I mentioned earlier, though not as elegant a solution. Granted, there's always core demos.

Are the hardware economic benefits (part sourcing, BC simplification, etc), as joker suggested, worth it alone? I guess, would depend on just how much of an ordeal it is to accomplish all this.

The VM thing also makes sense when you consider MS's demos are fairly multiplayer focused. Some people play the same MMO/FPS for years while playing other games in between. Being able to swap between game A (their perennial game) and game B (their latest purchase) easily is very convenient. I wonder if this would imply that they don't need a disc in the drive (having to swap discs kinda ruins the convenience), which might back those no used games rumors?

Save/Resume of GBs session data with 2.5inch HDs won't make your idea such a pleasurable option.

Games are shipped as encrypted VMs and have to be installed to the HDD to work, the disc is just a distribution mechanism nothing more. This ensures there'll be no performance differences between games running from discs and games downloaded and running from the HDD.

The API to block used games is there, but apparently it's up to the publishers to choose to implement it or not.

i dont believe the superdae conspiracy stuff for a second but umm he just tweeted this

KueKMqO.png

I've been told it won't have a significant impact on performance

Though with DirectX and 360, just because it wasn't a big deal doesn't mean there weren't situations where having to go through the API could be limiting:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-directx-360-performance-blog-entry

And showing COD Ghosts first on Xbox doesn't mean anything, MS probably just paid them a bunch of cash to do so (or have some other special COD tieup going on with Activision that Sony doesn't have)

i wouldn't say it doesn't mean anything. 3rd parties willingness to embrace xbox apparently, hints at at least passable power.

i think one of the big things ms would need to fear in a technically superior ps4 (as any more powerful/weaker console situation), is obviously if devs begin to embrace it simply because of superior power. so far no hints of that.

so it doesn't say everything but it doesn't say nothing either imo.

also, i dont think it's necessarily even legal to directly pay for exclusives. at least it's odd to me you never hear of that besides people just saying it. I think what's allowed is "co-marketing" deals and that type of thing. you can basically pay for some of a games marketing in return for the exclusive or other considerations (such as, debuting first). Which in the end boils down to money no matter how you slice it but, yeah.

good to hear the vm thing hopefully wont impact performance a lot. i dont pretend i fully understand it.

Games are shipped as encrypted VMs and have to be installed to the HDD to work, the disc is just a distribution mechanism nothing more. This ensures there'll be no performance differences between games running from discs and games downloaded and running from the HDD.

i love this. will be a great advantage in next gen imo.

basically the supposed benefits of a mandatory hard drive can finally come to fruition.

and i think the "core" SKU really helped MS this gen, as I expected it too, but honestly I think it's probably time to go hard drive only.

things like the vm thing sound really cool (provided there isn't a significant performance hit imo) and are the reason i always say i think ms can win the gen even if weaker and not necessarily do i believe sony can say the same. they just seem to have a better idea what they're doing.

i wouldn't say it doesn't mean anything. 3rd parties willingness to embrace xbox apparently, hints at at least passable power.

i think one of the big things ms would need to fear in a technically superior ps4 (as any more powerful/weaker console situation), is obviously if devs begin to embrace it simply because of superior power. so far no hints of that.

so it doesn't say everything but it doesn't say nothing either imo.

also, i dont think it's necessarily even legal to directly pay for exclusives. at least it's odd to me you never hear of that besides people just saying it. I think what's allowed is "co-marketing" deals and that type of thing. you can basically pay for some of a games marketing in return for the exclusive or other considerations (such as, debuting first). Which in the end boils down to money no matter how you slice it but, yeah.

good to hear the vm thing hopefully wont impact performance a lot. i dont pretend i fully understand it.

The difference shouldn't be as big as from Mid-Range PC to High-End PC so I wouldn't worry about devs choosing PS4 over Xbox just because it's GPU is more powerful,

Quick explanation...

I thought that would be nice, providing you can selectively turn on and off what will be overlaid over the TV feed. I wouldn't mind having notifications for example of an incoming Skype call, as they aren't too frequent to ruin TV watching.
Then I realized my TV doesn't have HDMI out, only inputs, so this would only work with separate cable boxes, not if your TV has integrated cable tuner and card reader :cry:

what they are talking for?

iu2vE9F.png

building things for everyone that are only for studios until now..... tomorrow we'll know why 2-3 GB sholud be worth to be reserved :)

any guess?

another interesting article:

Microsoft Corp. MSFT +2.32%will unveil its new Xbox on Tuesday. What's underneath the hood of the latest videogame console represents a multiyear odyssey of trying to figure out how to keep the machine "cool" in the age of smartphones and tablets.

Since the last Xbox debuted in 2005, Microsoft has produced multiple prototypes for a new console and experimented with different technologies for it, said people familiar with the matter. The company has looked at streaming games from far-away servers to the latest Xbox; sending recorded videos of game exploits on the Web from the console; and including various television technologies, these people said.

http://online.wsj.com/article_email...89710767303392-lMyQjAxMTAzMDEwOTExNDkyWj.html

Last edited by a moderator:
what they are talking for?

iu2vE9F.png

building things for everyone that are only for studios until now..... tomorrow we'll know why 2-3 GB sholud be worth to be reserved :)

any guess?

another interesting article:

http://online.wsj.com/article_email...89710767303392-lMyQjAxMTAzMDEwOTExNDkyWj.html

Having multiple prototypes is nothing new, every console in the past couple decades has probably had them the point is you only take them so far, and that point ended sometime last year.

Having multiple prototypes is nothing new, every console in the past couple decades has probably had them the point is you only take them so far, and that point ended sometime last year.

the multi prototypes is a thing, what they are talking about is a different thing, services and xbox live to be announced tomorrow

anyway as others are saying there're no evidences to the end date for prototypes, but we're at the real end of our speculations, only one day to go

the multi prototypes is a thing, what they are talking about is a different thing, services and xbox live to be announced tomorrow

anyway as others are saying there're no evidences to the end date for prototypes, but we're at the real end of our speculations, only one day to go

We can easily guestimate based on how long we know it takes to make a APU. So we'd probably be saying roughly 1 year maybe a bit more before its meant to be out the design and prototype has to be locked down. The APU's take a very long time to make, and don't forget the design that was presented to developers is the one from vgleaks, why would they present that design if they didn't intend on it being the final one?. We have received 0 credible leaks so that the design has changed yet nearly every day a new pastebin megaton that cannot possibly exist seems to appear and for some reason some people cling to the hope that they are real.

We can easily guestimate based on how long we know it takes to make a APU. So we'd probably be saying roughly 1 year maybe a bit more before its meant to be out the design and prototype has to be locked down. The APU's take a very long time to make, and don't forget the design that was presented to developers is the one from vgleaks, why would they present that design if they didn't intend on it being the final one?. We have received 0 credible leaks so that the design has changed yet nearly every day a new pastebin megaton that cannot possibly exist seems to appear and for some reason some people cling to the hope that they are real.

but really we know how long it takes to start from scratch when developing an APU?
from what I know when the project is complete they makes three try on silicon to estimate the possible yields, each try takes ~3-4 months so maybe you're out of track with 1 year

but what if some apu's are developed in parallel work at the same time, then you try on silicon two of them?
one gives a very good yields and another will be more costly to produce, then you came to choose, you'll go with the best specs or with the best specs/$ ratio?

this is a choice based on deep roots, based on future gains from games, from future shrinks and so one

no need to speculate on old/news specs anymore, the hardware tomorrow will be revealed and finally (thanks to God) we'll start another thread discussing on the real thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back