My experience with the LG 27GR95QE OLED monitor

Simply put?

Insanely good and a far greater distance to an IPS monitor with mini LED and FALD than I was expecting.

It's like the FALD algorithm crushes detail in the shadow area's in favour of reducing blooming, where as the OLED just does both.

Reviews pointed out that text isn't the sharpest and while I can somewhat agree with that comment it's also not as bad as I was expecting given how much reviews bashed on about it, using clear type has helped massively with it too.

Another area of concern raised in reviews is SDR brightness, I'm sitting right next to a window and the sunlight it full on hitting the screen and I have no issues with the brightness at all, it's plenty bright enough (brightness is set at 86 in the settings)

HDR brightness is also better than expected, the FALD monitor it replaced could do ~1200nits peak and most reviews place this OLED monitor at ~500-600nits, now I play at night when the family are in bed so it's pitch black in my man cave and I feel that 600nits is probably safer for my eye balls in the long run. I've not played a game yet where I wish it was brighter.

I have dropped it down to 60hz and when playing Doom Eternal I didn't notice any judder or stuttering while playing, it just felt like 60fps does you're used to 120fps (ie....shit)

Burn-in... Am I worried? Nope, I play a broad enough range of games for it to never really be a problem.

Bottom line? It's shaping up to be one of the best upgrades I've ever made.

Same, I immediately noticed the slight lack of clarity on Text due to the subpixel arrangement (WRGB), but I've gotten used to it since everything else on the OLED is so much better than any LCD in existence. Someday I'm going to try that link that @orangpelupa posted before about improved subpixel rendering for text.

I also don't notice the color bleed "stripe" unless I really look for it. Maybe I can thank my aging eyes for that. :D

Regards,
SB

Same, I immediately noticed the slight lack of clarity on Text due to the subpixel arrangement (WRGB), but I've gotten used to it since everything else on the OLED is so much better than any LCD in existence. Someday I'm going to try that link that @orangpelupa posted before about improved subpixel rendering for text.

I also don't notice the color bleed "stripe" unless I really look for it. Maybe I can thank my aging eyes for that. :D

Regards,
SB

Same, last night I was thinking about the slight quirks from running OLED and how they're so small for the insane difference it makes to the image quality.

The UFO test, I've not seen it looking that clear since I sold my CRT monitor 18 months ago.

I'm genuintly not worried about burn in either, especially after watching the RTings burn in test 4 month update video as LG's W-OLED panels seems to handle it much better than the QD-OLED screens do.

And at night time where I do 90% of my gaming the black levels have been transformative!

Attachments

• IMG_20230630_122856.jpg
    IMG_20230630_122856.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10

Regards,
SB
i think its better to totally ignore it if you can. as human brain have very good adaptability.

because doing things via user mods/fixes may give too much headace and mentally made the issue more exhausting.

btw easiest fix for text is using firefox

Same, last night I was thinking about the slight quirks from running OLED and how they're so small for the insane difference it makes to the image quality.

The UFO test, I've not seen it looking that clear since I sold my CRT monitor 18 months ago.

I'm genuintly not worried about burn in either, especially after watching the RTings burn in test 4 month update video as LG's W-OLED panels seems to handle it much better than the QD-OLED screens do.

And at night time where I do 90% of my gaming the black levels have been transformative!

btw i wonder, does your monitor exhibit these issues like my LG CX TV?

• the picture quality varies subtly every day. imperceptible for movies and games, a wee bit noticable for design work. (e.g. sometimes the banding will be more pronounced, sometimes the DSE will be more pronounced)
  • the auto-dimming keeps incorrectly dimming the screen when working in dark mode (e.g. writing program in dark mode, diablo 4 inside dark dungeons)
  • left/right edge got chopped off a few pixels, sometimes making the "minimize everything and show desktop" button on the lower right disappear
  • the auto pixe refresh have no indicator when its working, and when i interrupted it, the whole screen will be filled with horizontal lines
my cousin and lil bro use an asus laptop with OLED screen and didnt get any of those issue. thus i wonder the behavior of OLED monitor

btw i wonder, does your monitor exhibit these issues like my LG CX TV?

• the picture quality varies subtly every day. imperceptible for movies and games, a wee bit noticable for design work. (e.g. sometimes the banding will be more pronounced, sometimes the DSE will be more pronounced)
  • the auto-dimming keeps incorrectly dimming the screen when working in dark mode (e.g. writing program in dark mode, diablo 4 inside dark dungeons)
  • left/right edge got chopped off a few pixels, sometimes making the "minimize everything and show desktop" button on the lower right disappear
  • the auto pixe refresh have no indicator when its working, and when i interrupted it, the whole screen will be filled with horizontal lines
my cousin and lil bro use an asus laptop with OLED screen and didnt get any of those issue. thus i wonder the behavior of OLED monitor

The top point I can't say for sure as I've not looked for it but at the same time I've not noticed anything either.

The three bottoms points are a none issue.

@davis.anthony People get really worked up about SDR brightness, but honestly those people have their monitors WAY too bright. They'll turn down the brightness and think it looks dull initially because they're very used to burning their retinas out with eye-watering brightness. 120 nits is a good starting point. In a bright room it might be not quite enough, and in a dark room it might even be a tiny tiny bit too bright. For reference I have a display calibrated to 2.2 relative gamma using novideo_srgb so I can clamp colours to sRGB range, and my display (Samsung G7 Odyssey) is at brightness 17/100. My room is dim, but not dark. Even if I open my curtains fully during the day, instead of using the semi-sheer curtains, it's enough brightness for the light that comes in the room.

This monitor is loud, granted my PC on idle is quieter than most but the high pitched noise coming from the monitors rear fan is irritating af.

Wut? It got a fan?

Maybe that's why lg confidently make some of the longevity features that are annoying on the TV, disabled on monitor.

I thought the ASUS OLED was the only one with a heatsink which is why it's so much brighter than the LG.

Hmmm, I thought anything with the MLA had the heatsink. Maybe you're right. Could be the LG just has a fan for cooling. Will have to look it up. I'm sure it's in the HDTVTest review.

did your opinion change for the worse or the better since the most recent post in this thread? It looks like a fine monitor to me.

I got a modern very decent 4K TV almost a year ago and I am not using it despite the fact that I like how it looks and it sounds, and I returned to my 1080p TV from 2013....

I'm sending it back as I can't live with the fan noise, which I should not have to put up with on a £1000 monitor as it's a shit load of cash and for that I expect a flawless product.

So back to the monitor drawing board.

Last edited:
None of the reviews I've seen mention that annoying fan noise, so it is definitely a defect. Perhaps get it exchanged and see if it persists?

Review samples can be higher quality than release units and Googling shows it's quite a common problem with many owners complaining about it, which for a £1000 monitor is not acceptable.

Review samples can be higher quality than release units and Googling shows it's quite a common problem with many owners complaining about it, which for a £1000 monitor is not acceptable.

That's really disappointing. I was thinking I might hop into the next generation of the oled monitors, or maybe the third, but if they require a lot of active cooling I'll have to pay attention to that.

Back