For those with OLED screen, is burning still a issue? Do you exclusively game on it or also productivity?

1) It's common enough but 2) it's not endemic.
I have a colleague who has an OLED screen since 2016 and wouldn't buy an OLED since the manufacturers imply that it is natural that the burn-ins and retentions happen and because of this they have developed and implemented a series of mechanisms to minimize it, he says.

He is so obsessed with the issue to the point he recently cancelled his Disney+ subscription because they decided in a new show to put a logo in the bottom right of the screen.

He didn't dare to use megadrive-mini or snes-mini for fear of burns (because when he was younger he saw the famous retroprojection TVs with retentions and burns evident in a store that had the Turbografx connected to one of those TVs).

He bought the TV for the new consoles, but there are many games that have fixed stuff on the screen and he told me that this may him rethink whether to buy another OLED or not.

His OLED is working fine though but he takes every measure to protect it.

I have a colleague who has an OLED screen since 2016 and wouldn't buy an OLED since the manufacturers imply that it is natural that the burn-ins and retentions happen and because of this they have developed and implemented a series of mechanisms to minimize it, he says.

He is so obsessed with the issue to the point he recently cancelled his Disney+ subscription because they decided in a new show to put a logo in the bottom right of the screen.

He didn't dare to use megadrive-mini or snes-mini for fear of burns (because when he was younger he saw the famous retroprojection TVs with retentions and burns evident in a store that had the Turbografx connected to one of those TVs).

He bought the TV for the new consoles, but there are many games that have fixed stuff on the screen and he told me that this may him rethink whether to buy another OLED or not.

His OLED is working fine though but he takes every measure to protect it.
Peace of mind is worth a lot.

I went from a plasma back to an ordinary LCD display and it was seriously refreshing to just never have to have any kind of worry about how I used it. And now with OLED's, even without burn in, you also still have to worry about aging causing picture quality deterioration and whatnot. Plus any kind of 30hz gaming content on it will look bad. I dont know, I feel like I'm pretty comfortable just sticking with good value mid range LCD's for now.

what if your tv dies in 3 years, but a person dies in 2.8 years. To live a life without OLED is a life not lived, some might argue.. so enjoy every second, no matter which screen you view it on, or what content you view, or games you play.

what if your tv dies in 3 years, but a person dies in 2.8 years. To live a life without OLED is a life not lived, some might argue.. so enjoy every second, no matter which screen you view it on, or what content you view, or games you play.

But do you want a 2.8 years of life, having worries with OLED woes and it's image quality that varies day by day?

And for most human I ever interacted with that has seen my LG CX, the only think they are amazed with is with how stupidly thin it is.

?????

To me, the thinness is one of the most annoying feature of it, and turns out other people like it!

None of them noticed how dim it is in bright room with sunlight, none noticed how amazing it is when I closed all the doors and windows...

So from my limited samples, I don't think they will appreciate OLED quality over LCD.

Edit:

On an unrelated note, even an entry level surround sound system are more easily noticed by more people. Even my mom though I have speakers on the ceilings despite I'm only using normal 5.1ch. And most basically says it sounds like movie theater.

When I used an OLED the first time I experienced a moment of spiritual nirvana, and my cholesterol went down at my next check-up.

In all seriousness OLEDs, at least in larger formats, are still being sold as high end premium devices at premium prices (also to ammortize fixed deployment costs) but the long term trend is they will likely replace LCDs as the commodity displays. The reason being is that in theory the unit cost to manufactuer and ship could eventually reach a cross over point with LCDs. Even now FALD LCD displays aren't actually cheaper per unit to manufactuer than OLEDs even if the end consumer pricing might say something else.

And once the price goes down the mindset to them is going to be different, but at the moment the pricing is probably not palatable to most people for a "disposable" device.

I’ll be curious to see if this an issue with qd oled’s as I haven’t seen any issues with my launch aw3423dw.

My LG C7 was a mess and needed a screen replacement 3yrs into its life. I only had my s95b for a year and not even that for my s90c so can’t comment there.

I’ll be curious to see if this an issue with qd oled’s as I haven’t seen any issues with my launch aw3423dw.

My LG C7 was a mess and needed a screen replacement 3yrs into its life. I only had my s95b for a year and not even that for my s90c so can’t comment there.
Sounds like disposable technology

(...) eventually reach a cross over point with LCDs. Even now FALD LCD displays aren't actually cheaper per unit to manufactuer than OLEDs even if the end consumer pricing might say something else.

And once the price goes down the mindset to them is going to be different, but at the moment the pricing is probably not palatable to most people for a "disposable" device.

Thing is LCD uses not one but two glass planes. OLED gets around with one. But the inevitable trend is shrinking glass thickness driving up diagonal ( also because LCD uses two). Looks like OLED can't really just halve the LCD total thickness. So it was elaborate multilayer all the time and not just half. Not to mention as an emissive current driven display it still manages to emit in weird ways ( "pin-holes" vs. backplane ).

Thickness mostly makes sense if you have some ultra diagonal for wallmount.

Plasmas had their own issues with brightness degradation, uneven wear, phosphorus trails and inability to scale to hdr due to power consumption issues. Still have my Kuro in the office…

I still have a ~2011 Panasonic plasma as my one and only TV*. It wasn't high end even then (1024 x 768), but I wouldn't swap it for anything other than an OLED, and IMO OLEDs while incredible are too low on the cost / longevity scale (at least for me).

(* I did get a twitchy bum moment when after about 80 hours of only using it for Halo Wars in multi hours sessions I thought I'd burned the hud in, but thankfully that shifted after a few hours of recovery pattern).

The final generation of Panasonic plasmas were pretty amazing and fairly robust. I've tried hunting a 3D one down a few times.

I think marketing drove adoption of 4k as a way to sell LCDs. A good OLED at 1080p or 1440p would probably be more robust than 4k at the same screen size as you'd have a greater proportion of the screen area to useable emit light from

1080p and 1440p would also bring micro led forward as mainstream options.

My LG B6 bought in Nov. 2016 now has 43,000 hours. Averages out to about 16 hours per day.

I don't baby it at all. Equal parts movies, gaming and YouTube. Hundreds of hours of Civ 6.

Only slight burn in of the stupid YouTube app and from watching 4:3 content. Don't notice it during normal use.

My LG B6 bought in Nov. 2016 now has 43,000 hours. Averages out to about 16 hours per day.

I don't baby it at all. Equal parts movies, gaming and YouTube. Hundreds of hours of Civ 6.

Only slight burn in of the stupid YouTube app and from watching 4:3 content. Don't notice it during normal use.
Well, not baby-ing would look like some peak current with MPRT ( BFI motion mode). That'd likely show up.
I still have a ~2011 Panasonic plasma as my one and only TV*. It wasn't high end even then
Plasma PWM is not something I'd like in this day. It ran at 100 volt, different chip technology than usual I think it's called BCD. Also it wasn't just PWM but elaborate staggered PWM to avoid simultaneous peak levels.

Nobody watches 16 hours per day.. Do you mean plugged in and not turned off?

Nobody watches 16 hours per day.. Do you mean plugged in and not turned off?

I don't have 16 hour a day numbers but personally I don't really listen to music and just prefer video content as background ambience essentially. So my displays get a lot more screen time than just be actively using them directly.

Anecdotally I've known others like this as well. I've even known people to leave it on when they aren't at home or sleeping just to make it seem like the home is active.

OLED is awesome! I bought a new laptop with an OLED screen and it looks great! Even if they last fever years it is worth it.

Btw my psvr1 oled screen is still as good (as bad?) as at launch. At least no noticeable new woes develops.

I also don't have any issue develops with my psvita oled years ago.

Maybe the theory with oled TV and speakers sound have interesting relation that needs more research

Back