For those with OLED screen, is burning still a issue? Do you exclusively game on it or also productivity?

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Ideally, in the distant future -say 4 or 5 years from now- I'd like to get and OLED screen. I know about the advantages of OLED from reading people here or comments like DF staff, like John who loves OLED. and I ask that 'cos I use the display for both productivity and gaming.

When I am gaming it's quite rare that the screen is static, but when using the OS and productivity apps, there are plenty of moments where nothing seems to happen on the screen, and that's what I fear.

Basically I want an all-around display, and I wonder how OLED fares in that sense nowadays.

Last edited:
I've not got any on mine so far but honestly, any burn in current panels get won't be relevant for panels available in 4-5 years time as the technology will continue to evolve.

But after having all display types I do prefer mini LED monitors with FALD over OLED.

It depends on the type of game one plays. In many games I have almost no HUD. In more and more games you can also adjust the HUD and I reduce it to a minimum.

I've been doing this since the very old plasma TV days. I don't remember what the reason was at the beginning but I've been doing it for many years mostly for imemersive and aesthetic reasons. However, it doesn't hurt to pay a little attention to possible burn-out of pixels.

In games with a very aggressive HUD I used to change the HUD position in the game from time to time a long time ago. You could also do this frequently under "Screen area". But I haven't done it for a while.

I've been doing this since the very old plasma TV days. I don't remember what the reason was at the beginning but I've been doing it for many years mostly for imemersive and aesthetic reasons. However, it doesn't hurt to pay a little attention to possible burn-out of pixels.

In games with a very aggressive HUD I used to change the HUD position in the game from time to time a long time ago. You could also do this frequently under "Screen area". But I haven't done it for a while.
So it's been years since you've been able to play a Ubisoft game?

I do wish the PS4's second screen app during the last generation had at least taken off well enough for HUD's to be offloaded.

I don't understand the first statement.

I always customize the HUD when I can and reduce it to a minimum. No matter which publisher. Ubisoft has usually given the most adjustment options on the PC.
Avatar is the first Ubisoft game I've played since The Division 2/Ghost Recon Breakoint. In Avatar there are also several HUD setting options.

Second screen disctracts too. In addition to modifiable HUD I would like to have a button function that allows you to show and hide the HUD.

I've not got any on mine so far but honestly, any burn in current panels get won't be relevant for panels available in 4-5 years time as the technology will continue to evolve.

But after having all display types I do prefer mini LED monitors with FALD over OLED.
How come?

Right.

Both display types have different advantages, one display (OLED) has perfect black levels and the other (mini-led) gets insanely bright.

And from using both I have found there are way more situations where the 2-3x higher brightness is more beneficial than having a perfect black level.

Take Cyberpunk 2077 for example, this game has an insane HDR implementation and will take as much brightness as you can throw at it.

It has a 24hr day/night cycle and for 4-5hrs at night time, the OLED will be the better display as the perfect black levels show their strength (But it's still not a massive difference and not as big as you would think compared ti mini-led with FALD)

For the remaining 20-19hrs of the day/night cycle and where the having a perfect level black isn't a requirement (but high brightness is) the game will look better on the mini-LED, and the difference between an OLED with 250 nits vs a mini-led with 1500+nits is a monstrous, the OLED's don't get close.

There's other examples.....

Forza Horizon 5: The game never really gets dark enough for OLED's advantage to shine, but does take advantage of 1500+ nits, so wil look better on the mini-LED.

Ask yourself, how many games/levels have you actually played that are so dark a mini-LED monitor with 576+ zones would struggle?

The answer is, not very many.

In the right circumstances OLED is untouchable, but those situations are so few and far between that I do feel a mini-LED offers the best all round experience.

I did do some camera shot comparisons when I had my mini LED monitor (These were taken at night or with the blinds closed so is worse case for IPS glow with FALD off)

Returnal

Resident Evil 2

The Last Of Us

Dying Light 2 (You can see the light leaking from my blind in this shot)

EDIT: The mini LED monitor I had was a Cooler Master GP27Q.

Last edited:
Depends on the specifics. QD-Oled yes. W-Oled less so. Look at RTings long-term investigation videos and articles for the specifics.

Depends on the specifics. QD-Oled yes. W-Oled less so. Look at RTings long-term investigation videos and articles for the specifics.

Their test is not really applicable to gaming monitors to be honest, as use cases are so much more varied on a monitor compared to a TV.

Their test is not really applicable to gaming monitors to be honest, as use cases are so much more varied on a monitor compared to a TV.
It seems to be the most comprehensive collection of data points out there, even if it represents the worst-case scenarios, where the next best thing is purely anecdotal experiences under uncontrolled conditions.

There’s a lot of nice objective data out there on colour accuracy, black levels, peak brightness, motion resolution etc to help you make a decision, but there’s not much talk about the psychological cost of ownership.
Are you going to worry about the content you’re viewing, game or video, to the point that you limit that activity or obsessively check for damage?
If you replace your TV every couple of years, then I’d say that psychological cost is low, but if you keep a TV for ten years or more like me, at least 5 years as the primary set and then another 5 as the secondary TV, then that cost can be pretty high.
It was too high for me, I went for a high end FALD and don’t regret the decision.

It seems to be the most comprehensive collection of data points out there, even if it represents the worst-case scenarios, where the next best thing is purely anecdotal experiences under uncontrolled conditions.

It's a very good collection of data they are producing, but I'm still of the opinion that it's value for how a PC monitors would fair over time is limited as the use that a TV and monitor get varies significantly.

There’s a lot of nice objective data out there on colour accuracy, black levels, peak brightness, motion resolution etc to help you make a decision, but there’s not much talk about the psychological cost of ownership.
Are you going to worry about the content you’re viewing, game or video, to the point that you limit that activity or obsessively check for damage?
If you replace your TV every couple of years, then I’d say that psychological cost is low, but if you keep a TV for ten years or more like me, at least 5 years as the primary set and then another 5 as the secondary TV, then that cost can be pretty high.
It was too high for me, I went for a high end FALD and don’t regret the decision.

You are correct on this, I generally never bothered about my display and the wear and tear on it until I got an OLED.

Now I actively try and mitigate situations to avoid excess wear that I wouldn't have to worry about with IPS and VA.

Speaking of VA, AOC have just released a 1440p VA monitor with 336(?) dimming zones and FALD for a mega budget price ($350 I think it is), and it's reviewing amazingly well.

wow, the difference in Resident Evil 2 and Dying Light 2 is staggering. How do you disable FALD just to test it out myself on my TV (QLED)?

Regarding brightness, 2024 OLED TVs are going to have MLA according to Digifal Foundry, and my be using that META Booster techonology or whatever is called. John mentions MLA and other stuff. He uses Black Frame Insertion like I do, however by using that you are effectively halving your brightness, so yeah, HDR 2000 or more with BFI might work but less (maybe) won't.

that's the idea, more or less. My 1080p Phillips TV is 11 years old, and my 165Hz 1440p monitor is 5 years old. The current TV that I have is only a year old, I want to use it intensively for 5 years or more, depending on the TV/monitor market, if there is something interesting.

Back