4k IPS vs 1440p IPS but with local dimming

What would you do?

• 1440p with FALD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep the current 4k monitor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
As some have seen in my other thread I've recently moved to 4k and after 3 weeks of use I love the detail and sharpness.

But, as with every display I've I had the black level and IPS glow.

I mainly play when the family are in bed which means I typically play in the dark, which makes the poor black levels and IPS glow stick out even more.

I've just loaded up Resi 4 remake and it looked bloody awful with the IPS glow.

So I've been looking at a way to improve my experience playing in a dark room which means either IPS/VA with FALD or OLED.

OLED is out of the question because I can't afford (nor justify) spending £1000+ on an OLED monitor.

So that leaves IPS/VA monitor with FALD but there's slim picking and most are also £1000+

The only one I've found that's of a 'reasonable' price is a Coolermaster 1440p IPS monitor with FALD for £500.

My 4k 144hz monitor was £340 so an extra £160 over what I paid for the 4k screen.

So my problem is do I sacrifice 4k resolution for better a much better quality 1440p image as well of having much better HDR, or keep the 4k monitor.

How about oled tv? The 42 inches are less than 1000 usd.

May be closer to 500 usd when discount season?

Btw iirc ips with fald still have glows. Check rtings

How about oled tv? The 42 inches are less than 1000 usd.

May be closer to 500 usd when discount season?

Btw iirc ips with fald still have glows. Check rtings

I want to maintain a high PPI and 42inches would be well below my liking.

4k on a 27inch is so sharp and crisp and I would like to keep that.

I know FALD isn't the ultimate solution but should be provide a cost effective improvement.

yeah seems IPS with FALD would be best fit, and LG also use WRGB, so you lost crispness (especially in yellows as it bleeds red and green/blue)

Back