For those with OLED screen, is burning still a issue? Do you exclusively game on it or also productivity?

Forget burn-in, all 4K LG OLED panels have actual defects around the corners which can manifest after as little as
Strange. I've just checked my LG EG920v, one of the very first consumer 4K OLED models, and my LG C9 and neither of them exhibit this issue.

The REAL shocker is imo that NOBODY ever mentioned this. HDTV test and RTINGS should have seen many sets exhibiting this issue but yet they were all quiet as a mouse..
Unless it's a very rare occurrence. Perhaps a defect in some TVs, hot spots or something? We know RTings would have reported on it if they had experienced it. They have nothing to hide.

Unless it's a very rare occurrence. Perhaps a defect in some TVs, hot spots or something? We know RTings would have reported on it if they had experienced it. They have nothing to hide.
All LG panel OLED tvs that are owned by myself or family members or friends have this issue, again 10/10 so if it was more rare Iā€™d expect a few not having the issue. Maybe EU models are made somewhere else?

I asked on AVSForum (or was it AVForums??) and the respondents said it is a known issue that's been raised before. Definitely needs more coverage as I'm very discouraged by this revelation and want decent reassurances if I'm to get OLED. I want the market to make a noise and the manufacturers to respond!

I asked on AVSForum (or was it AVForums??) and the respondents said it is a known issue that's been raised before. Definitely needs more coverage as I'm very discouraged by this revelation and want decent reassurances if I'm to get OLED. I want the market to make a noise and the manufacturers to respond!
as wonderful as the qualities of OLED screens sound, I am not entirely convinced to get one, 'cos all the screens I have, lasted for quite a few years. My most recent screen is a 4K QLED without much use but it has FALD and have pretty decent blacks.

My favourite screen at home and the one I use the most is this https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s3220dgf

An average 1440p 165Hz VA with VRR display that has a decent contrast -but not great, also no FALD-, and most of all it's been working fine for 5 years ever since I bought it. The image quality hasn't degraded and that's so important imho.

Very weird - I've literally never even heard of these issues and pretty much everyone I know uses OLED TVs for both regular TV/gaming and even productivity/dev work. I've carefully rechecked both of my home OLEDs and neither has any visible issues (one is 7 years old, one is maybe 4-5). I'm now also using a pair of QD-OLEDs as my primary work/gaming monitors so TBD on those long term, but so far so good.

No other tech I've seen really comes anywhere close to OLEDs on the TV front. Even if I ran into one of these issues I'd definitely continue to buy OLED TVs until we get something in the same ballpark at least. For now the contrast/blacks, response rate and motion clarity is just too far and away better than the alternatives to go back.

Discussion:

Suggestions of bad seals and moisture getting it, oxidising the OLEDs. That'd explain it happening around the outside. That certainly fits the look of XboxKING's images. I wonder how environmental it is? Needs reporting and tracking to identify potential causes, or at least risks.

It should be impossible for moisture to get inside as the layers are chemically bonded together. But you have warranty anyway and otherwise get a 5 year plan. The image quality is worth it for sure even if this was permanent. LG will replace my screen btw even though I am a little outside the 1 year warranty period, which makes me think that LG doesnā€™t want this to go to court. I will email RTINGS and tell them that they should check for it.

My theory is that it is caused by the sound waves of the speakers, lol hear me out; RTINGs donā€™t have the speakers on, and many people use dedicated audio setups and thus not the built in speakers.. so maybe some frequency is causing the screen to resonate.. resulting in moisture getting to the edges?

Basically I won't be buying oled TV ever again. Even if I suddenly won a huge money or something.

Will buy miniled instead

If it's always one edge like this:
and if it's the COG driver side then it's fairly obvious heat has to do with it. Sealing would be 4 sides I guess.

and if it's the COG driver side then it's fairly obvious heat has to do with it. Sealing would be 4 sides I guess.
It is on all sides though. My guess is it has to do with how the panels are cut from the big oled sheet or maybe the bonding process the physical structure of the sub pixels is changing though so maybe stress during production causes the delaminating later maybe

Arguments against the heat theory focus on the fact the screen is hottest in the middle. However...
It is on all sides though. My guess is it has to do with how the panels are cut from the big oled sheet or maybe the bonding process the physical structure of the sub pixels is changing though so maybe stress during production causes the delaminating later maybe
...a multifaceted cause is most likely to explain 1) It's common enough but 2) it's not endemic. Perhaps manufacturing stress causes microfractures/tears that expand when hot and oscillated by loud audio, and allows moisture...sort of thing. This is where collating environmental data for those affected helps. If it's more common in some climates than others, that'd help with the debugging process.

On the flip side, the manufacturers might not want to go the effort tot understand and solve the problem as it costs more than replacing the sets. At which point, as consumers we need to know to 1) prevent it and 2) be able to go after replacements when it does occur. And LG's willingness to hand over replacements out of warranty suggests to me they know about it and this is their preferred solution, but they don't want to advertise it as they don't want the negative PR and they know some folk will just buy a new TV thinking it's outside warranty.

Well that seals it then (pardon the pun). Though sealing giving up with so isolated pixels? Far in?

It's definitely big deal because the whole rollable OLED stuff depends upon finding alternative to glass (and its barrier properties) huge investment were made into multilayer polymer. Still unproven in mass production maybe this explains it.

Maybe there's even some funny heat vs barrier property interaction.

Last edited:
I assume other OLEDs are the same as mine, picking the thing up to install it was alarming. There's was fair amount of flex. That can't be good for it!

No issues as of yet though. It's been 10 days. šŸ˜

Some web snippets by google:

Preliminary thermal annealing tests of OLED glass samples​

• July 2014
  • Microelectronics International 31(3)
... (OLED) glass samples made in ambient condition. ... To improve the barrier property of OLEDs, the number of ... pin holes, leading to localized delamination of ...
ouch, not exactly unexpected.

Last edited:
Back