Nvidia Pulsar - variable refresh rate with backlight strobing

Scott_Arm

Legend

Asus tried this before with ELMB, and it didn't work well. Nvidia is claiming that they're combining variable overdrive with variable brightness to get strobed g-sync to improve motion clarity. If it works it'll be a huge upgrade for LCD panels.

Merging these two adaptive strategies, G-SYNC Pulsar transcends previous challenges associated with enhancing VRR with strobing backlight techniques. Prior attempts have often stumbled, leading to flickering and diminished motion clarity. However, G-SYNC Pulsar’s innovation ensures perfect synchronization between overdrive and backlight pulse with the screen's refresh cycle.

This represents a leap beyond incremental updates or a combination of existing technologies: it is a radical rethinking of display technology—necessitating the development of new panel technology, and representing a fundamental reengineering at both hardware and software levels.

It's clear that the monitor will require the g-sync module. Hopefully they work with any Nvidia gpu, and it's not exclusive to particular series of gpus.

I have to say, the more I think about this the more enticing it is. Hopefully it'll come to some 240 and 360 Hz displays at an "affordable" price, and isn't exclusive to 480Hz or $1000 displays. As much as I want to buy an oled monitor with 360 Hz, spending $900 USD minimum is probably not responsible. The cheapest way for me to get motion clarity is probably an effective strobing backlight at 240Hz to 360Hz on an LCD panel. Just hope the gsync module pricing isn't too extreme. I think $500 is probably the max I should be spending, even though I could afford more. Just one of those things where I couldn't but I shouldn't. And driving 360Hz+ is so difficult in the majority of games that an effective combination of VRR and BFI/strobing makes it way easier to maintain clarity while gaming sub 240 Hz.

They need to get stuff like this working at 60hz as the higher refresh rates make it useless for everything but Esports titles.

Is there a problem with sub 240hz ?

I have a 240Hz display, so that kind of how I'm framing my choices on what to get going forward. I think 120Hz can be very suitable for most people, though I do think they're missing something by not going higher.

They need to get stuff like this working at 60hz as the higher refresh rates make it useless for everything but Esports titles.

Even at 60Hz the flickering will probably bother a lot of people. Strobing really shines at 120+, though having it support VRR so you can operate mostly at 120 but drop down towards the 60s occasionally is probably good. Just not really a point in putting it in a 60Hz display. I would say anyone that's playing games should probably be buying a 120 Hz display at this point. The difference from 60Hz to 120Hz is probably the biggest jump in terms of image quality improvement.

Even at 60Hz the flickering will probably bother a lot of people. Strobing really shines at 120+, though having it support VRR so you can operate mostly at 120 but drop down towards the 60s occasionally is probably good. Just not really a point in putting it in a 60Hz display. I would say anyone that's playing games should probably be buying a 120 Hz display at this point. The difference from 60Hz to 120Hz is probably the biggest jump in terms of image quality improvement.

But there's no current AAA that can I push to 120fps locked so it's useless to me.

Even adding a 75hz option would be better so I have half a chance of getting to it.

But there's no current AAA that can I push to 120fps locked so it's useless to me.

Even adding a 75hz option would be better so I have half a chance of getting to it.

I think it's just one of the limitations of strobing/bfi, which is why native high framerates are so good (if you can achieve them). Some people are hyper sensitive to flickering, but I think most people will see it at 60Hz. As a product 120Hz is where it starts to make sense. That's part of why I still prefer 1440p. The image clarity and smoothness of high refresh is worth it. I'd always turn settings down to get closer to 120 (or higher), but I'm fortunate enough to have bought a 3080 when the price was "reasonable" before the crypto boom. It's harder choices for people with lower end machines, so I'm hoping that frame generation keeps improving.

I'm actually curious about frame generation with strobing, and whether it makes the artifacts too noticeable.

I think it's just one of the limitations of strobing/bfi, which is why native high framerates are so good (if you can achieve them). Some people are hyper sensitive to flickering, but I think most people will see it at 60Hz. As a product 120Hz is where it starts to make sense. That's part of why I still prefer 1440p. The image clarity and smoothness of high refresh is worth it. I'd always turn settings down to get closer to 120 (or higher), but I'm fortunate enough to have bought a 3080 when the price was "reasonable" before the crypto boom. It's harder choices for people with lower end machines, so I'm hoping that frame generation keeps improving.

I'm actually curious about frame generation with strobing, and whether it makes the artifacts too noticeable.

My 4070ti gets to 120fps in 95% of games, just games like CP2077, Alan Wake 2, Sony exclusives and others it has no chance.

strobing/bfi

Not really interchangeable in terms of flicker because bfi SHOULD work line by line fashion. No bfi on LCD vs strobe is severe drawback of present day LCD technology (unsolved).

Once there are lines you can drop brightness and remove flicker and get large diagonal 60hz.

Note you cant really do this with strobe or HDR. Or the HDR has to be managed. But as it's not standard noone does this. Maybe if power draw will get attention wearable displays will do 50nit large diagonal 60hz.

It's not a priority now with 5-10watt per eye 1:1 aspect ratio.

Back