My experience with the LG 27GR95QE OLED monitor

not yet, delayed!
Its' so massive, a bit of a headache here getting used to such a large and curved screen. THe refresh rate goes up to 180. It's very nice, great quality monitor.

Getting used to curvature though, taking me a bit of time, I'm going to try a movie and go back to more gaming, but man is this wide.

Its' so massive, a bit of a headache here getting used to such a large and curved screen. THe refresh rate goes up to 180. It's very nice, great quality monitor.

Getting used to curvature though, taking me a bit of time, I'm going to try a movie and go back to more gaming, but man is this wide.

There's so many 'That's what she said' opportunities in that reply 😂

How you finding the black levels 👀

There's so many 'That's what she said' opportunities in that reply 😂

How you finding the black levels 👀
Black levels very good.

But struggling to get my HDR movies to be equivalent to my B7 OLED. Some sort of setting is wrong

Black levels very good.

But struggling to get my HDR movies to be equivalent to my B7 OLED. Some sort of setting is wrong

They'll never be equivalent as your B7 is just a much brighter display.

Here's the HDR results from RTings review of each.

The B7 is just a brighter display.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-22-08-05-12-81_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-22-08-05-12-81_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_2023-08-22-08-06-39-31_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-22-08-06-39-31_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 12
They'll never be equivalent as your B7 is just a much brighter display.

Here's the HDR results from RTings review of each.

The B7 is just a brighter display.
I’ll move the HDR nits up to 1000 and see if that makes a difference. My real beef is that during movies with HDR the blacks are not dark enough.

That's because QD-OLEDs aren't true black when turned off.
Hmm. While this may be true, when I watch a movie the black bars are much blacker than the video using the browser. For some reason in my head the video should be able to get as black as the black bars.

Hmm. While this may be true, when I watch a movie the black bars are much blacker than the video using the browser. For some reason in my head the video should be able to get as black as the black bars.
If you have an example video I could test it in browser on my C2 to compare.

So it's raising the black level then?

I've not noticed this on my LG.

Last edited:
So it's raising the black level then?

I've not noticed this on my LG.
No, it's a configuration issue.
So for instance if I run this content:

Youtube properly recognizes that it is HDR, so I get the correct output, and it looks great.

But if I watch a HDR encoded movie, for some reason it's not switching over, and I'm not getting HDR from it

If you have an example video I could test it in browser on my C2 to compare.
This will work for my monitor and my TV just fine.

or anything off of Netflix it's fine.

but anything off my Plex I get a weird terrible black crush effect.

@iroboto if you can, return and get the DWF model mainly because it’s got upgradeable firmware the DW doesn’t.

I’ve had the DW for over a year+ it’s best used with windows 11 as HDR is better handled in 11 over 10.

I use HDR1000 mode for anything HDR. I run windows in SDR and use win+alt+b shortcut to switch to HDR when needed.

This way I have no ABL issues in SDR and HDR is amazing on this for content and gaming.

For gaming CP2077 in HDR with RT overdrive maxed out is poster child for PQ. Hogwarts and Ori in HDR are great as well.

So I just plugged the OLED one final time via HDMI (Courier collects tomorrow) to see if I was doing the right thing by moving back to IPS with mini LED and FALD.

The black level is still awesome but going back to mini LED with FALD I've realised how much I had to give up to use an OLED and it's simply not worth it.

Having 3x the brightness for HDR is more impactful to the image than that extra 15% deeper blacks.

It's a shame there's not a lot of mini LED with FALD options in the UK, loads in Europe and the US but next to none here 😭

My second Cooler Master GP27Q with the exact same problem.

Panel peels away from the screen.

On another note, it's pretty cool to watch it with local dimming on and see the dimming zones dance on and off.

IMG20230919232737.jpg

Last edited:
Did some side by side of the OLED and Mini-LED with FALD side by side.

I couldn't get HDR to work with two monitors plugged in at the same time and they weren't calibrated to match either but this was more of a blooming test.

FALD disabled

IMG20230927225932.jpg

FALD enabled (My phones camera makes the blooming visible, you can't see it any where close to that level in person)

IMG20230927225959.jpg

FALD enabled in Resi 8 Village opening which is a notorious bastard for causing none FALD monitors issues ( If it wasn't for the other pictures in this post would you be able to tell which one was the OLED?)

IMG20230927230837.jpg

It's amazing how close the Cooler Master monitor actually gets to the OLED when you're not purposefully playing content that's worse case for the FALD system.

The deepness of the blacks on the OLED were like 10% better but with a settings tweak on the Cooler Master I likely could have got it closer.

The one area where this Cooler Master monitor slaps the living piss out of the OLED is HDR gaming: 1400nits vs 600nits for the OLED, it's not even close.

And for me that's what it boils down too, the games (or levels in games) that are dark enough to allow the OLED to flex it's muscles are far and few in between that you have to question if that extra 10% deeper blacks is worth loosing access to so much sheer brightness.

CP2077 with HDR on is mind blowing on the Cooler Master and looks extremely flat on the OLED with HDR enabled by comparison.

Maybe the next generation of 1440p monitors will get to the 1200+ nit range.

Did some side by side of the OLED and Mini-LED with FALD side by side.

I couldn't get HDR to work with two monitors plugged in at the same time and they weren't calibrated to match either but this was more of a blooming test.

FALD disabled

View attachment 9675

FALD enabled (My phones camera makes the blooming visible, you can't see it any where close to that level in person)

View attachment 9676

FALD enabled in Resi 8 Village opening which is a notorious bastard for causing none FALD monitors issues ( If it wasn't for the other pictures in this post would you be able to tell which one was the OLED?)

View attachment 9678

It's amazing how close the Cooler Master monitor actually gets to the OLED when you're not purposefully playing content that's worse case for the FALD system.

The deepness of the blacks on the OLED were like 10% better but with a settings tweak on the Cooler Master I likely could have got it closer.

The one area where this Cooler Master monitor slaps the living piss out of the OLED is HDR gaming: 1400nits vs 600nits for the OLED, it's not even close.

And for me that's what it boils down too, the games (or levels in games) that are dark enough to allow the OLED to flex it's muscles are far and few in between that you have to question if that extra 10% deeper blacks is worth loosing access to so much sheer brightness.

CP2077 with HDR on is mind blowing on the Cooler Master and looks extremely flat on the OLED with HDR enabled by comparison.

Maybe the next generation of 1440p monitors will get to the 1200+ nit range.
OLED is on the left, am I right? The main difference I see, deep blacks aside, is the halos (blooming) surrounding the cup, which are much more pronounced in the IPS monitor.

This short fireworks video might be a great test to compare the blooming differences.

another monitor, but similar to the one mentioned in the title: a 360Hz IPS monitor vs a 240Hz OLED.

OLED is on the left, am I right? The main difference I see, deep blacks aside, is the halos (blooming) surrounding the cup, which are much more pronounced in the IPS monitor.

That blooming isn't there in person, my phones camera is exaggerating it.

This short fireworks video might be a great test to compare the blooming differences.

Things like that will cause the FALD system issues for sure, but you'll get much better highlights as it's much brighter.

Back